Page 47 of 82 FirstFirst ... 273742434445464748495051525767 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Stuff

I got over 450 spam emails over the weekend for a variety of medical products... must be a last minute surge to generate sales before the end of the financial year.
    No idea what set it off - usually I get a couple a week... but this was insane.
    I hope I didn't accidentally delete an important email, as it took me several minutes deleting them all individually to try to make sure I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    I may be too, actually, I probably am. The mrs insists on getting it checked, but self pride, machismo, red meat and all of the rest kick in.

Best one I had to date was when my Admin Manager, who was a soft-spoken Englishwoman, replied to a question & I thought she said "Why would you want to put Julio in the camel?"
    You guys remind me of that episode of Seinfeld where he was dating a "low talker "

Maybe you need some of these?

"Low talkers" are the most irritating when doing oral examinations. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Ravagecat View Post
    You guys remind me of that episode of Seinfeld where he was dating a "low talker "

Maybe you need some of these?

I so do

Megatran Guest

I'm waiting patiently in line at the in-store price check scanner station. The people in front of me scans the item. Scans it again. And a third time. Do they think the price is gonna change on the third scan? >_<

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Super Random Thought:

Money in itself is inherently worthless. The value in money lies in what it represents - and in contemporary society, currency is backed by the value of its issuing country's economy. Money was invented because it's more effective than bartering. A shoemaker can't barter with other people who aren't in need of shoes, and a farmer can't barter when his crops aren't ready for harvest etc. Initially things of inherent worth were used as currency (e.g. precious things), but this became problematic when people started making huge purchases. Paying for land is impractical if you have to transport wagon-loads of silver or gold etc., then there's the problem of security. The Chinese were the first to invent paper money - the idea of a central authority securing precious assets and then essentially printing out notes that people could use at a later point in time to redeem those assets. But then people figured out that the assets never needed to be redeemed as people could literally trade in these government-issued "I owe you" notes. This idea transmitted along the Silk Road to Italy who then adopted it and it spread through Europe. The Europeans introduced the idea of banking, allowing assets to be deposited or withdrawn from branches rather than just a central location. But this still had problems in terms of the physical distance between branches and also trading between different banks. Today we can lose money when we exchange currencies from different countries, but back then people could lose money from exchanging currencies between different banks at the next town! And if a bank collapsed then that bank's currency would become utterly worthless. I think it was either the English and/or the Dutch ( not sure ) who introduced the idea of centralised government banking. Governments are far more secure and far less likely to collapse than banks, especially currencies from stronger economies - which is why these countries' currencies are worth more than those from weaker economies. Hypothetically speaking, if the Australian economy collapsed tomorrow, the AUD would become worthless. But precious things like gold and silver etc. would still be worth something because they have inherent value. Money doesn't. It's the purchasing power of money that makes it valuable.

Ate an insanity wing at Memphis BBQ Pit in Penrith yesterday. The chilli in that was so damn hot I got high off it. I swear I could see sounds. Good luck to those brave enough, or stupid enough, to try their challenge

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Super Random Thought:

Money in itself is inherently worthless. The value in money lies in what it represents - and in contemporary society, currency is backed by the value of its issuing country's economy. Money was invented because it's more effective than bartering...

... It's the purchasing power of money that makes it valuable.
    Money is an illusion - greatest lie ever told plus interest. Slavery is therefore legal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mII9NZ8MMVM
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Super Random Thought:

Money in itself is inherently worthless. The value in money lies in what it represents - and in contemporary society, currency is backed by the value of its issuing country's economy. Money was invented because it's more effective than bartering. A shoemaker can't barter with other people who aren't in need of shoes, and a farmer can't barter when his crops aren't ready for harvest etc. Initially things of inherent worth were used as currency (e.g. precious things), but this became problematic when people started making huge purchases. Paying for land is impractical if you have to transport wagon-loads of silver or gold etc., then there's the problem of security. The Chinese were the first to invent paper money - the idea of a central authority securing precious assets and then essentially printing out notes that people could use at a later point in time to redeem those assets. But then people figured out that the assets never needed to be redeemed as people could literally trade in these government-issued "I owe you" notes. This idea transmitted along the Silk Road to Italy who then adopted it and it spread through Europe. The Europeans introduced the idea of banking, allowing assets to be deposited or withdrawn from branches rather than just a central location. But this still had problems in terms of the physical distance between branches and also trading between different banks. Today we can lose money when we exchange currencies from different countries, but back then people could lose money from exchanging currencies between different banks at the next town! And if a bank collapsed then that bank's currency would become utterly worthless. I think it was either the English and/or the Dutch ( not sure ) who introduced the idea of centralised government banking. Governments are far more secure and far less likely to collapse than banks, especially currencies from stronger economies - which is why these countries' currencies are worth more than those from weaker economies. Hypothetically speaking, if the Australian economy collapsed tomorrow, the AUD would become worthless. But precious things like gold and silver etc. would still be worth something because they have inherent value. Money doesn't. It's the purchasing power of money that makes it valuable.
    But precious things like gold and diamonds, don't really have any value either, only the perceived value that people apply to them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Ate an insanity wing at Memphis BBQ Pit in Penrith yesterday. The chilli in that was so damn hot I got high off it. I swear I could see sounds. Good luck to those brave enough, or stupid enough, to try their challenge
    that's hot!
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)