View Poll Results: Generations Whirl - worth buying?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Can't wait to get my claws on him!

18 90.00%
  • Only if...

0 0%
  • Na

2 10.00%
  • A shame Cyclonus didn't end up killing him

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Generations Thrilling 30 Whirl

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I'm quite surprised many folk seem to think he comes across more as IDW Whirl. Certainly the head is very IDW'esque but in body I think he is much more G1 Whirl. What with the canopy pointing down in robot mode rather than forward with a couple of big cannons, no big loops at his elbows and the fact he is a terran helicopter with spinning blades in alt mode rather than a sorta cybertronian-jet-thingie with a couple of blades just sweeping back at the top. Also his weaponary like the null ray fitting over the claw and other guns able to be attached to his calves is far more G1 as well in my opinion.

I remember opening the toy and being somewhat surprised that they had gone the G1 rather than the IDW route like they had with Skids, Swerve and Tailgate. Still, if I am wrong in my assessment I'm happy to be corrected.
    I agree, I think it's very more a G1 Whirl design compared to the current MTMTE design. Playing with this new figure to me feels like playing with a modern version of the G1 toy.

A MTMTE Whirl would be more like an Animated toy IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Looking at this image, I'd say it's more G1.

He's G1 all the way.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Yeah I see this as a modernized G1 Whirl. If there is anything that is similar to IDW Whirl, it appears to be superficial after thoughts such as the shape of the head.

The flaws are also infuriating. The knees and shoulders have no excuse even from a cost cutting point of view, it's just stupid design.

Disappointing..so close yet so far.

Those are fair points. I suppose it's a hybrid of IDW and G1 Whirl, principally the head and digitigrade stance being IDW influenced, but the overall rest of the toy being G1. Eh... this toy represents IDW Whirl in the Gokiverse anyway.

Found this guy to be a disappointment, mainly due to the legs, yes it's probably digitigrade as a homage to his IDW appearance, but due to his lack of joints it just ends up looking stiff and unnatural so he can't hold any decent looking poses.

His weapons also stick out to much and look unnatural, while his glove gun is super loose and falls of all the time.

To get the legs to work the way they are obviously designed to work, you have to ignore the way the instructions tell you to transform him and either reverse the legs completely, giving you a normal knee joint but seriously bowed legs, or transform them the way they are meant to transform for "gerwalk" mode, giving him a true digitigrade stance. Doing either of those gives you proper articulation. The official transformation is just wrong.