View Poll Results: GEN Armada Starscream - Worth buying?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 73.68%
  • Only if cheap

3 15.79%
  • I'm happy with the original Armada toy

2 10.53%
  • No

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review: Generations Armada Starscream

Default Toy Review: Generations Armada Starscream

Series - Generations
    Sub-line – Thrilling 30
    Wave - Wave 8 2014
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Released here – Not yet, if ever
    Approximate Retail Price - Who knows?
    Approximate Size – 14cm
    Allegiance – Decepticon
    Alt-mode – 'Cybertronian Jet Fighter' i.e Jetfire tryhard
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Design based on IDW design, pushfire missiles
    Main Colours – Red, Grey, BLack
    Main Accessories – IDW exclusive comic, Missiles, Twin Foldable Energon Swords.

The Short: Simple and elegant. A great representation of the current IDW Screamer as well as a homage to the late Armada Screamer. However while appearances delight, articulation takes a back seat.

The Long: Probably the least hotly anticipated figure of the IDW inspired Generations toys, I feel like I was the only person on the board who was excited when this guy was announced. Armada Screamer looks and feels fantastic in both modes. The simple deco of the original character model lends itself well to Hasbro's sparse paint applications so there is not much to get wrong. The transparent orange plastic is particularly impressive as are the gray paint applications on wing pieces. Which brings me to my next point.

The QC on this toy is impressive by Hasbro standards. I haven't had the opportunity to handle any of the other IDW deluxes in this wave but it seems they've really stepped up their game. The paint apps are even and crisp, even on his FACE, all the joints are perfectly tight and tolerances almost PERFECT, both foldable swords store PERFECTLY in place under the wings. My only gripe is that the 5mm pegs on the swords are slightly too large for Screamer's fist holes. The minicon pegs are also slightly distracting but are understandable given this character's origins and the fact that minicons are a thing once again.

This toy falls over in articulation department. The arm articuation has limited poises and the legs are not much better. The head is able to rotate 360 degrees but is interfered with by a lack of clearance (or perhaps too large a light piping gimmick) which effectly leaves Screamer with a North/South/East/West limit to his head poesability. Perhaps most annoying though is the lack of wrist articuation. It should be a written rule that transformers with swords be given wrist articulation. Instead we see an almost pedantic commitment to landing gears on planeformers, even those of Cybertronian origin. I would rather these points of articulation be sacrificed in favour of twistable wrists. On the upside, his balance is not too shabby for a 'former with a backpack. Transformation is simple, perhaps too simple to satisfy most but simple transformations make for great toys. You don't really need the instructions for this one. The pushfire gimmick is also nice. The transparent orange 'flares' hide the long shaft of the missile well.

In summary Armada Starscream is a great looking figure but does suffer from more than a few design limitations which is fine if he's just going to stand upright like a soldier on your shelf with the rest of your deluxes but kind of nonsense if you like action poses.

Now for some picture treats!

I too love this guy as Armada SS is one of my favourite TFs. I'm a fan
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Eh, I already have the original Armada Starscream. Can't say this toy holds much appeal to me. :/

Argh just realised I forgot to add the poll. Is there any way of adding one posthumously?

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    Argh just realised I forgot to add the poll. Is there any way of adding one posthumously?
    Yes, click on the Thread tools button above your first post.

Love this figure. I hope we get some Seeker repaints in addition to the upcoming Jhiaxus.

I have nothing new or interesting to add, other than this toy would be near perfect if it had more than 3 points of articulation.

I suppose they were going for toy accuracy to the Amarda toy original?
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I don't have the original armada starscream so this fills in well for me. Good proportions. Nice robot mode and good jet mode. The Jhiaxus retool actually looks like a good retool They've changed both the nosecone and the wings. Justifies me getting that one as well when it's released
    "I am Supreme" [Magneto]

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Eh, I already have the original Armada Starscream. Can't say this toy holds much appeal to me. :/
    This one has articulation though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    This one has articulation though.
    As far as Armada toys go Screamers articulation was pretty good.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain