Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help for stripping paint off G1 figures

Default Help for stripping paint off G1 figures

Hey guys,

I am currently messing around with repainting various banged up G1 figures, doubles of newer figures or "touching up" missing paint applications.

While the new figures do not seem to be giving me many problems the G1 figures are doing their best to drive me crazy.

I have undercoated an old, somewhat damaged Kup with Games Workshop spray, but I used three coats (I used white, and needed 3 coats to cover the green properly), and now Kup is unable to be transformed without chipping off paint, so I want to strip the paint off him and start again.

I have seen a couple of pictures where people have stripped the paint back off G1 figures to their original Metal (taking off the Hasbro paint as well), and was wondering if you guys knew what works best to get not only Games Workshop paint, but the original layers of paint off a figure. I figure I could go into Bunnings and just get some turps or regular paint thinner, but I figured that you may know of something far better.

I know that I'll have to be careful not to get whatever paint stripper I use on the plastic, as it is likely to melt the plastic Kup has on his arms and legs, so is there anything I can use to strip the paint off the plastic without damaging it?

Thanks for all the help.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I don't know the name of the electric tool I use but it takes a small round wire brush. I have actually used this recently to strip back a G1 Optimus Prime, just make sure it's not a coarse wire brush as you may damage the metal work. Almost forgot, to do it this way you need to completely dismantle the TF in question as your plastic will disintergrate in a split second if you wander off the metal.
    Last edited by 1orion2many; 11th April 2008 at 11:23 AM.

To strip paint from metal all you need is Paint thinner. Soak a cloth in it and rub it on the metal and in just one or two passes, the paint will come right off, much easier than plastic. It will strip it down to bare metal.

Note: This substance damages plastic so be careful.

From what I've googled it looks like the spray is a lacquer like the Tamiya sprays.

The stuff I used in the cleaning thread Simple Green may work if you use it undiluted. I found it at Bunnings. If you are at the next meet I can give you a bottle to try.
    Dismantle your bot and soak it in the stuff for 2 days.

If that doesn't work try Easy Lift Off. I've found that stuff at a model store and it works ok but is labour intensive. There are very clear instructions on the bottle.
    Use gloves, eye protection and have good ventilation for this stuff.

99% isopropyl alcohol. Fill a container and soak overnight. Wash and repeat if necessary. Again found at the hardware store.

If you are lucky you may find Dawn Power Dissolver somewhere. This stuff is gold. Spray it on, wait 30 minutes and clean off. By far the best I have used.
    If anybody knows where they sell this now please let me know.

If you are really desparate brake fluid might work but it may harm the plastic (and you). Only a last resort, not recommended.

For metal parts any solvent based paint stripper from a hardware store will work.
    Just follow all the safety precautions.

Thanks for all the info guys.

I'll have to try harder to take Kup apart, its not an easy job as most of his screws are rusted up!

I found that a "Orange cleaner" which is like a liquid form of the Orange Scrub Metal workers use works okay to remove paint from plastic (used it on Silverbolt), but it takes alot of hard scrubbing with a cloth, and then needs a few washes to get rid of the citrus-ey residue.

Looks like Im going for a trip to Bunnings!

goro is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

if metho dioesnt work... heres what you do -

1. Soak in water overnight
    2. go to bunnings and buy a no -name brand dremel type kit for about 20 bucks. as well as wet/dry sand paper
    3. sandpaper the figure first using water
    4. user the 'round wire' scrub tool and get rid of any excess paint that doesnt come off.

I have used this on figures which I have pinted and sealed using games workshop sprays.

Thanks for that Goro, I'll have to give the soak and sandpaper off method a go until I can get myself a cheapy Dremmel tool.

At least I have finally taken Kup apart now.

goro is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

ok and dont forget.. you can use grey primer or flat black spray on anyparts that wont uncolour ( such as dyed plastic) and then repaint with a colour of your choice

Quote Originally Posted by goro View Post
    ok and dont forget.. you can use grey primer or flat black spray on anyparts that wont uncolour ( such as dyed plastic) and then repaint with a colour of your choice
    Yeah that was my problem in the first place, I sprayed too many undercoats of white, and they were flaking off during transformation. I need it to be white, as I am going for a light coloured repaint of Kup.

Im glad that the Games workshop paints are water based, the long soak seemed to work wonders.

When you get around to painting the actual colours i'd steer clear of the Games Workshop stuff.

Tried 'em once, bloody hard things to work with they are unless you REALLY know what you're doing.