Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Early Movie toy pics and reviews

Some group shots and comparisons of the first wave, including all the gimmick toys that most of us adults wont be buying... so will probably never see next to the mainline figures like this.

Optimus Prime
    At the back from the left - Voyager, Leader, First Edition, 16 inch Titan, 12 inch Titan.
    At the front from the left - One-step, Dino-sparker, Construct-Bots Rider, Flip&Change, Construct-Bots Warrior.

Grimlock
    Back from left - Voyager, Leader, 16 inch Titan.
    Front from left - One-step, Construct-Bots, Flip&Change. Dino-Sparker at the front.

Dinobots
    Back from the left - DLX Scorn, DLX Slug, Power-Battler Strafe, Construct Bots Strafe, Construct-Bots Slug.
    Front from the left - Dino Sparker Strafe, Dino Sparker Slug, Construct Bots Gnaw, Construct Bots Roughneck, Construct Bots Hangnail.

Bumblebee
    Back - Deluxe, 12 inch Titan.
    Front - Power Battler, Construct Bots Rider, Dino Sparker.

Drift
    Back - Construct Bots Warrior, 12 inch Titan
    Front - One-Step, Construct Bots Rider, Dino Sparker

Crosshairs
    Power Battler, Deluxe.

Lockdown
    Construct Bots Warrior (back), Construct Bots Rider (front).

Group shot of Wave 1 (with a couple non-Movie toys I got at the same time at the front and back corner).

And what Wave 1 looks like in packaging.

In a day or two I should have them all in alt-mode for another group shot to share.

I was surprised that the Construct-Bots were completely new designs to previous Construct-Bots designs, in that the larger ones have moving parts and some enclosed pieces.

The Dino Sparkers are a little disappointing that the sparks are fully enclosed (which is why they are so big and bulky), but understandable if there are laws in place to prevent sparks from being ejected. The effect of having them enclosed is that the spark effect is mostly hidden, especially with Grimlock who has darker plastic and a lot of gold paint.
    They are best used in the dark, but then that makes it more challenging to chase after them to keep playing with them.

The one-step changers and Flip&Change figures have very short-lived play. The Flip&Change Grimlock has a fancy transformation gimmick that isn't obvious on the packaging, which will make it difficult for kids to figure out how to do it (you grab each tail half and hold each as far apart as possible, and spin the body round and round until the gears bring the robot parts together into dino mode). Someone went to a lot of trouble to make that unique transformation work, but people won't buy it for that transformation unless it is on a TV commercial and the kid or parent remembers which of the 6 different Grimlock robot toys is the right one.

The Power Battlers aren't too bad on average. The transformations dont seem to be intentionally simpler, but the gimmicks seem to require simpler transformations. As such, some are spoiled by the gimmick, but some are decent, playable figures. The Power Battler Crosshairs looks better in robot mode than the Deluxe Crosshairs (to me)... but the big fist is the spoiling element.

Now to hunt down cheap Kreo Movie sets...

The Flip&Change (the very big single step gimmick toys - same size as Mega One-Step) Lockdown and Target exclusive Silver Knight Optimus have been found in America.

Silver Knight Optimus is a grey version of the wave 1 Optimus toy, as Target in America seem to have all the Silver Knight redecos.

I had thought that Lockdown was in wave 3, after Bumblebee in wave 2... but I'll have to go and find where I got that from.

The Target exclusive Titan 12 inch Silver Knight Optimus has been found at a US Target as well for US$10.

Vehicle/alt modes...

Optimus Prime.
    First Edition, Leader, Flip&Change, One-step (front), Voyager (back), Construct-Bots Rider, Construct-Bots Warrior, Dino sparker.

Grimlock.
    Flip&Change, Leader, Voyager, Construct-Bots, One-step, Dino Sparker.

Other cars (Hound, Bumblebee, Crosshairs, Lockdown, Drift).

Dinobots (Slug, Strafe, Scorn, Grimlock, Hangnail, Gnaw, Roughneck)