Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Transformer Search website... by me!

Default New Transformer Search website... by me!

Hey guys

I've been working on this site for the last couple months and finally just made it live. The url is http://transformersearch.com/

This is the basic premise of the site:

• People submit toys & accessories.... i approve the listing and it appears on the site.
    • Once on the site, people can post corrections to data, submit photos and comment on a listing (reviews).
    • Registering to the site is only necessary if you want to submit anything - and also has the benefit of being able to choose between Robot/Alt mode for listing pictures and saving your name etc for reviews.

There's sites like this already but the difference with mine is that it has a very powerful and fast filtering system to easily find toys & accessories. The filters adjust based on what you've already selected, to limit further choices to only available options. Accessories are linked to toys, toys are linked to repaints and so on so you can jump around the place quite easily.

I haven't recently tested the registration/submission process but it should be working - it was a few weeks ago!

Let me know if you see some odd behaviour. One thing i haven't been able to do better is when you submit a photo, the confirmation message is displayed in the photos tab (which isn't displayed on page reload - you have to click it again).

This was all a huge undertaking and quite frankly i'm pretty well sick of it by now! But - with my entire collection in there as a starting point, the bulk of my workload is done. So, i'll see if people are interested in submitting themselves and, provided it doesn't turn into a massive pile of work, will continue with the upkeep of it all - but with no promises!

Particularly the accessories, they are a massive job - you can see from what's in there already, that accessories account for 2.5x the amount of toys, and even with only 500 listings, it's still pretty hard to identify something!

Don't get too attached to the accessories feature then In the future, it may be that i choose to limit accessories to only G1/2 entries... after all that's what most people are interested in. And that'll keep it a light(ish) workload and make the search worthwhile (there won't be 20 entries for Optimus Prime Left Fist etc).

Let me know what you think! But, i'm hoping to take a break for a bit and so any submissions, suggestions and fixes, well i'll get to them when i can

Oh and one last thing, at the bottom of the site is a link to an Australian Release Toy Search ... if you click that you'll get an extra option to filter by Released in: Australia. With the way Hasbro's going with releases, one day that might be handy!

Nice work, all the best for the site!

very nice.

The site is looking good, and I'm particularly impressed by the photos - very clear, grey background, and it's easier to search when you don't know the name but remember the toy. But it seems sparsely populated - at least for G1. If you can get word out to more users, the listings will build quickly
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Nice. I'll have a good look tomorrow hopefully. I'll definitely register so I can submit stuff
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    The site is looking good, and I'm particularly impressed by the photos - very clear, grey background, and it's easier to search when you don't know the name but remember the toy. But it seems sparsely populated - at least for G1. If you can get word out to more users, the listings will build quickly
    Or anyone with G1 toys that they want to give me for free...
    I know 200-ish toys is pretty sparse compared to most on here but taking all those photos, boy do i wish i had less!

Very pretty. Nicely done, Kurdt.

Perhaps G1 Classic isn't the best description as G1 Classic was the 90's G1 Reissue line that came in the gold packaging, perhaps the word vintage would be better.
    Site looks great though and filtered very fast, love the pictures.

As far as i can recall, the G1 toys that i have from my childhood are (... must have been) the G1 Classic reissues, that's why they're labelled as such!

Very nice. I can see this site getting a lot of use.