Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boxes - An important part of collecting?

I don't have many TFs at the moment so I mostly keep the packaging
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

I've long gotten rid of everything except MP boxes. But they'll probably be moving on soon too.

So Gok, if you flatten the box, does that mean you throw the tray/foam insert?
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Yes. And even then I'm running out of space!

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    There's a whole secondary market out there for inserts, so much so that you can actually buy repros. Everything's worth something to somebody. Why throw stuff out when you can make money off it and use that money to fund more Transformers. It's the circle of life
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

But are those for really old vintage figures? Because last year I tried to give away a whole stack of boxes; some dating back to 10 years ago, and I had zero bites. So I literally couldn't even give those things away. If you're talking about G1 stuff then you're talking about someone hanging onto boxes and inserts for 20-30 plus years. That's 2-3 decades of storing boxes... I don't think it's worth it. I'd much rather use that space for more toys.

But this demand for boxes and insert seems recent. Because in the 00s I still knew people who were giving away G1 boxes and inserts for free (I personally got boxes and/or inserts for 1984 Soundwave, 1986 Cyclonus and 1987 Sixshot all for free). And only about 5 years ago I bought an original 1984 Brawn card for just $5. And I only bought it because Brawn was my very first Transformer; but otherwise I'm personally not willing to pay for packaging.

I've still got all my packaging from everything I've bought in the past 3 and a bit years. A bit of a hassle but nothing too bad yet. They're all stored neatly away.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    but is having the box an important part of collecting?

I know the whole free range -vs- MIB/MISB debate, and that's really what this is, but realistically, i'm putting my collection on display, if I need to pack it up (let's say in the event of ... oh I dunno, another bloody cyclone) the boxes will be time consuming, so there's no real point in me keeping the boxes.

But how many are out there are actually interested in boxes, either for figures you need boxes for, or because you just like empty boxes?

And will there be enough interest on here for me to offload them or should I just simply toss 'em in the bin?

Excluding figures I've kept MISB/MOSC of course, when it comes to boxes the rarer boxes or fancy ones like the MP boxes I keep. All the others I just generally cut the back off that has their bios and tech specs and keep that. Like you I now have several boxes of boxes

I reckon depending on the boxes you could find a few people that might be interested.

I used to chuck all my boxes but once I started collecting MPs that all changed (hasbro prowl was the only box I chucked and now im regretting that as we are moving very soon)I even kept my legends arcee and windblade boxes, not for resale or anything like that I just think they will come in handy one day (like moving house). The space thing will become an issue eventually but for now I like my little pile.

PS if anyone has a hasbro prowl box they no longer need I'll be more the happy to take it off your hands.

I don't blame you for chucking Hasbro MP Prowl's box considering that it's triple the volume of a TakaraTOMY MP Car's box!

I've still got a fair few of my boxes. Off the top of my head, I have boxes for MPs, Takara TFs, HAs, 2006 Classics Jetfire, and all my AoE purchases. Some boxes I haven't kept because they're too big/not practical (Jetwing Optimus, Generations Metroplex).

Part of the problem for me is trying to figure out which boxes are 'worth' keeping, since they do seem to make purchases more desirable if you do have to sell figures on, but I don't buy TFs with the express purpose of selling them on later. Takara boxes in general and MP boxes in particular are really nice, and it almost seems like a waste to throw them.

I've done box 'purges' before - I've thrown out a lot of movieverse leader boxes, since they took a lot of space (I don't collapse boxes), and I'm thinking of throwing out the packaging for my AoE Hound, Drift and Lockdown, which I've kept until now for some odd reason.