• Cyclonus

2 15.38%
  • Other

7 53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Most Iconic G1 Decepticons

Default Top 10 Most Iconic G1 Decepticons

Ok same deal as the Autobot poll. Please post your top 10 Most Iconic G1 Decepticons in order and feel free to provide any explanation if need be. Also vote ALL 10 in the poll. Use "Other" for characters not listed and note them in your list.

I've used the same criteria I used for the Autobots:

How prominent were they in the cartoon / comics?
    How memorable were they in the cartoon / comics?
    Have they been featured in the live action movies?
    Coolness of the toy
    How likely are you to see this character on a retro T-shirt?

So onto my list. I've again organised it into tiers.

The locks

1. Megatron
    2. Starscream
    3. Soundwave
    4. Devastator
    5. Shockwave

This is a rock solid top five.

The probables

6. Galvatron
    7. Rumble

The questionables

8. Trypticon (far more memorable than his foe Metroplex)
    9. Bruticus (was featured in some of the best episodes)
    10. Predaking (Coolness of the toy elevates it here)

The honourable mentions

Astrotrain
    Skywarp
    Thundercracker
    Cyclonus

Interestingly I've selected three Combiners and a Titan in my top 10 despite not including any in my Autobot list, I just think they were more memorable characters.

No Ravage? If there was any cassette that was iconic it'd be Ravage, just edging out Laserbeak and both of them ahead of Rumble.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    No Ravage? If there was any cassette that was iconic it'd be Ravage, just edging out Laserbeak and both of them ahead of Rumble.
    I did have Laserbeak in my initial list but bumped him at the end. The fact that neither Ravage or Laserbeak can talk in the cartoon impacts their rating in my view.

My picks...

MEGATRON; obvious reasons. IDW Megatron has been particularly interesting as the most fleshed out version of this character that we've yet seen. Also a more believable version of not just Megatron but the Decepticons overall; i.e. seeing themselves as heroes fighting against a brutally oppressive dictatorship (which the Autobots were under previous Primes), and the tragedy of seeing a visionary freedom fighter becoming the kind of tyrant that he had initially set out to bring down, but then the redemption in his realisation of this and journey back towards his original goal and seeking balance between these ideologies. That poignant speech from Team America: World Police (about Richards, cats and donkey-holes) pretty much sums up the conclusion of Megatron's character arc in IDW.

STARSCREAM; This is gonna freak some people out, but G1 cartoon Starscream was rubbish. He was nothing more than a recurring nuisance who never could succeed in overthrowing Megatron. The Triple Changers came closer to ruling the Decepticons than Starscream ever did. G1 comic Starscream on the other hand is where all the awesomeness was at! Underbase Saga, Zombie-Starscream, super powerful Pretender, freakin' War World Starscream powered by the Matrix! 'nuff sed. Yeah, you go and crawl in a hole and cry yourself to sleep, Sunbow Starscream.

SOUNDWAVE; Soundwave says: "What's a Deployer?"
    Marvel and IDW Soundwave are also cool in that they have the vested interest of the Decepticon cause at heart, and both believe that their cause is the righteous one (and that the Autobots are evil). Again, makes them far more believable characters and lends more credence to the story overall (i.e. that good and evil are subjective notions).
    RiD2015 says: "What's a cassette?"

GALVATRON; Look no further than the G1 comics to see what was essentially a demi god of a Transformer forged from the fires of Unicron. I always found the mentally unhinged G1 cartoon Galvatron to be more irritating than threatening. Galvatron terrorised the Autobots across time, space and between universes! IDW Galvatron is also quite terrifying, and a more accurate representation of the original character being not Megatron (which is accurate to the toy's G1 toy bio; although toy Galvatron's function was City Commander, not Leader).

THUNDERCRACKER; My favourite G1 Decepticon. Thundercracker was always meant to be morally conflicted, which IDW finally got right (because no other TF writer ever did). There was at least one episode of the G1 cartoon which momentarily showcased Thundercracker's conflicted nature, but some of his lines from the original script were omitted which made Thundercracker come across more as just holding a grudge against Starscream rather than doubting the Decepticon cause. But the original script had him deliver a line that demonstrated his doubt.

BLUDGEON; Initially a member of the Decepticon Mayhem Attack Squad, Bludgeon assumed leadership of the Decepticons after Thunderwing's fall. He led the Decepticons into a false alliance with the Autobots and then betrayed the Autobots before leading the Decepticons into space to plunder other worlds. Bludgeon also constructed the War World which helped them to plunder even more worlds. Even Megatron marvelled at Bludgeon's vision (shortly after having killed him ).

THUNDERWING; Thunderwing passed through trials and rose up to become leader of the Decepticons. As a Mega Pretender, Thunderwing's power was unmatched. Thunderwing was rare in being one of very few Decepticons who had a natural affinity with the Matrix. Thunderwing inherited a Matrix which had already been corrupted by evil which asserted control over Thunderwing as its vessel. Only Unicron was able to destroy the corruption within Matrix-Thunderwing.

SCORPONOK; Scorponok was the first heroic Decepticon - the first who taught us that a Decepticon could be courageous and noble. And although he eventually allied himself with Optimus Prime, he never became an Autobot. He remained a Decepticon. And his death scene was one of the most emotionally provocative moments in all Transformers history.

SHOCKWAVE; Once again the G1 cartoon version was rather dull, essentially a sycophantic lackey who was stuck on Cybertron. Even Dr.Smoov parodied this laughable character. G1 comic Shockwave on the other hand has become far more memorable and iconic as the emotionless logic driven calculating fiend. And he was actually far more successful at overthrowing Megatron than Starscream ever was, and he did it through both exercising power and logic - although he could also be countered (e.g. Megatron was occasionally able to usurp Shockwave's command so long as his logic was sound). The fight between the heartless Shockwave and impassioned Scorponok was legendary. Many subsequent versions of Shockwave have since been modelled after his G1 comic persona rather than his G1 cartoon persona (e.g. IDW G1, IDW DotM, Prime) - although Animated Shockwave was modelled more after his G1 cartoon namesake (and same voice actor too ). And Shockwave's appearance on the cover of G1 #5 is one of the most famous covers from the G1 Marvel run.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    P.S.:

Honourable Mentions
    * Blitzwing, G1 cartoon Season 3. Thunderwing's personality finally saw fruition in the G1 cartoon... in Blitzwing. There's a fan theory that he was forcibly rebuilt as Octane after attempting to desert the Decepticons. #empurata
    * Ravage, aside from being the Decepticon master of stealth, he was also steadfastly loyal to the Decepticon cause. It was Ravage who snapped Shockwave out of his mindless stupor (at being unable to comprehend wibbley-wobbley-timey-wimey stuff). And of course there was his unforgettable appearance in Beast Wars ("Decepticons forever!")
    * Overlord. Both the Takara and Hasbro versions have very different personalities but both are awesome in their own right. Takara Overlord's journey was similar to that of Scorponok's in the Marvel Comics (only without the tragedy) - Giga and Mega are actually both honourable characters who ultimately aligned themselves with Ginrai. Hasbro Overlord on the other hand is a complete murderous psychopath. The IDW comics fleshed this character out and provided a back-story to explain why he's such a bundle o' crazy.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 30th October 2016 at 01:32 PM.

Megatron Guest

My list:
    1. Megatron
    2. Starscream
    3. Soundwave
    4. Shockwave
    5. Devastator
    6. Thundercracker
    7. Skywarp
    8. Other (Blitzwing)
    9. Astrotrain
    10. Other (Rumble/Frenzy/Ravage/Laserbeak)
    (11. Bruticus/Menasor)

Like the other poll, I don't think I can add much about the characters already mentioned that hasn't already been said. So I'll give an honourable mention to Blitzwing.

*the toy was/is cool! A fighter jet with missiles under the wings, a tank with a big turret and a robot with a rifle & sword! That's a Con built for battle!
    *the character was/is cool! He was a Ground & Air Commander and in some episodes fulfilled that role and could be seen giving orders to others (usually the Coneheads). He also tried to take over the Cons in S2 and forced a truce to beat the Quintessons in S3.
    *very prominent in all the comics, though never the main character. Hardly a battle has happened in IDW without him being there since the beginning.
    *has gotten triple-changer multiverse toys such as his Animated, ConstructBots and Generations versions.

Overall, pretty cool!

My 10, based on the same criteria as before with the Autobots list - how recognisable/well-known are they, and how likely is a non-fan to know of/recognise/remember them if they were described/shown a picture/etc.

1: Soundwave. Between his army of cassette minions, distinctive voice, popular toy, and his head design being the basis of the Decepticon logo, Soundwave comfortably tops out other strong contenders such as Megatron and Starscream IMO. Possibly the most Iconic Transformer after Optimus Prime, maybe 3rd most after Bumblebee.

2: Really hard to choose here, but Megatron narrowly beats out Starscream as #2 IMO. He's been the basis for almost every Decepticon leader since, and is definitely one of the major Transformers Icons.

3: Starscream. Pretty much the archetypal traitorous underling, distinctive colour scheme and design cues (wings on his back, arm cannons, smirk? Check), not to mention Chris Latta's memorable voice acting.

4: Laserbeak. Sure, most people would just know him as 'That bird one that come out from that tape-recorder guy's chest', but he's definitely an Icon. Especially perched on someone else's arm. Plus his habit of swooping on and kidnapping humans was actually pretty sinister, not to mention widely used in the cartoons.

5: Ravage. Similar to Laserbeak, but so much cooler. Despite his small size he was actually pretty hardcore (when the plot allowed him to be), and his portrayal in Beast Wars was one of the standout moments of a series that had plenty of strong moments on its own.

6: A bit of a drop-off from the previous entries, but I have to give #6 to Devastator. The first Combiner (itself a pretty quintessential/memorable gimmick from the series), with a shouldn't-work-but-actually-does colour scheme that has come to be the ubiquitous Construction Vehicle colour scheme in the Transformers universe.

7: Bruticus. Narrowly beaten out by Devastator, but still one of The Combiners. I'm a more of Predaking fan myself, but as far as Icon status goes Bruticus is easily up there.

8: Astrotrain. For some reason, every non-TF fan I've met who was born around the time the Transformers cartoon came out remembers that train/space-shuttle guy. Blitzwing is way more distinctive (and cooler) IMO, but somehow Mr Evil Steam Train is more memorable to the public at large. The voice effect was pretty interesting too.

9: The Insecticons. Not all that memorable individually, but the Insecticons were a pretty memorable subgroup, and also introduced the first real fractious/independent group amongst the Decepticons. Clone armies, mind control, lightning attacks, Shrapnel's controlling-enemies-which-isn't-mind-control ability, eating plant matter, and...Kickback kicking things , these guys are lesser-known but still definite Transformers Icons.
    As a side-note, Kickback's facility for charm/blackmail is actually a pretty interesting 'power'/ability that - like Thundercracker's ambiguous loyalty to the Decepticon cause - has been sadly under-utilised in Transformers fiction.

10: Tough call, but I'm going with Shockwave. Mostly because of the unique visual design, partially because of his Cybertronian alt-mode and his role as Guardian of Cybertron (every time one of the main cast went to Cybertron, Shockwave was there), Shockwave narrowly beats out other contenders for the Number 10 Icon spot.

Honourable Mentions for Rumble, Skywarp/Thundercracker ("those other plane guys"), Galvatron, Scourge (a.k.a. Spaceboat McFacialHair), and (for those of us who were born into the later years of the G1 cartoon) Predaking. Devastator and Bruticus might be more famous, but Predaking was the most badass. Blitzwing was cool with a great design and set of alt-modes, plus his 'Come on down Autobrat' moment from the Movie is one of my favourite parts, but somehow he doesn't seem to be as memorable as the top 10 I've listed.

I chose other because I consider Ravage and Laserbeak more significant than Rumble despite their lack of speech as they were more influential in the G1 cartoon (in my opinion).

My top 3 iconic Decepticons would be Soundwave, Starscream and Megatron with Devastator coming in a close 4th.

Following from last poll, and also taking Ode's view on iconic to the extreme again from a pure non transfan POV, I'd say the only true iconic ones are

1: Megatron - Beats Soundwave on the basis that he exists everywhere, and the forever opposite of prime
    2: Soundwave - same reasons as above
    3: Starscream - the iconic jet basically
    4: Devastator - the big green guy, and also his reference would have been refreshed in some minds with the live action version

After that, its anybody's guess. Galvatron as the "other Megatron", Ravage/Laserbeak because they're cassette animals, Astrotrain for the spaceshuttle train idea, Thundercracker because of that damn awesome name.
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    7. Rumble
    Out of interest, which Rumble are you referring to? The red / black or blue mini-cassette.