• Not even interested

3 9.68%
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece Hound

Default Toy Review - Masterpiece Hound

HOUND
    Series - Masterpiece
    Released here - N/A
    Approximate Retail Price - 18,000JPY (240AUD)
    Approximate Size - 18cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Mitsubishi Motors Willys Jeep J3
    Main Features/Gimmicks - show likeness, opening bonnet
    Main Colours - green, beige, dark grey + yellow highlights
    Main Accessories - x2 wing mirrors, pistol, mounted gun, spare tyre, jerrycan, key, roof canopy/shield, Spike Witwicky figure, hologram effect, holographic driver, smiling face, shouty face

PROS
    + This toy is just gorgeous in both vehicle and robot mode
    + Vehicle mode is bristling with details including interior dashboard details, driver controls, sculpted grill pattern, sculpted pattern on headlights etc. This is the second most detailed Hound toy I've ever seen aside from Binaltech Hound. The fact that I'm even comparing an MP Car with a Binaltech just goes to show how detailed this vehicle is.
    + So much of the vehicle parts are concealed in robot mode, as part of this toy's slavish show-accuracy. The cartoon model basically shows no vehicle parts aside from the chest, and this toy does pretty well in emulating this, because aside from the upper torso there are no visible vehicle parts at all. The wheels, the spare tyre, the mounted gun, the entire rear half of the jeep etc. -- all cleverly hidden. The end result is a pretty clean and slavishly cartoon-accurate robot mode.
    + Conversely, all of the robot parts are perfectly concealed in vehicle mode, including the shoulder-mounted rocket launcher.
    + This toy has done well in avoiding any partsforming, which is impressive given what an accessory-former G1 Hound is. You can remove the mounted gun, jerrycan and spare tyre if you want to - there's even storage for it inside the canopy/shield, but you also have the option of leaving them attached to the figure in either robot or vehicle mode, and the robot is perfectly capable of concealing all of these accessories.
    + Really well articulated, including one of the most articulated hands I've ever seen.
    + Incredibly well balanced. This is one of few Transformers toys that I've been able to make hold a mid-level kick instead of a high kick!
    + The toy has a Sunstreaker-esque level of zany complexity, but I find it to be a far more intuitive transformation. There aren't any parts of the transformation that makes me feel like I'm going to break something. Having said that, I have heard reports about some people breaking the leg panels. The only way that I can imagine that happening is people not reading the instructions... so... read the instructions! And if the drawings aren't adequate and you need translations of the next, feel free to post pics of the step that you need help with and either I or one of our other Japanese-speaking members can post a translation. Or ya know... watch a YouTube video. But having followed the instructions I found that I didn't feel like I was going to break anything (touch wood).

CONS
    - The insistence on no partsforming does come at a cost, and the most noticeable is the crane arm that connects the head. The main drawbacks of this crane arm is that the head doesn't sit flush on top of the bonnet, and it also limits side to side head articulation.
    - The fists slide in and out of the forearms but there's no lever and the forearms don't open and close. This makes extending the fists tricky as there's really not much to grip onto. For a $240 toy I would expect something better than this.
    - Speaking of coming at a cost... that RRP. This is one of the most expensive toys that I have ever purchased - certainly the most expensive MP Autobot that I've ever bought. Is it worth it though? I would definitely rate MP Hound as being above MP Sunstreaker ($140) level of design and engineering but I don't know if it's $100 better than Sunstreaker to be really honest. Probably more like 15000JPY ($200) at a stretch.

OVERALL
    A really, really nice toy and a great addition to the collection for anyone looking to complete the MP Autobot Cars.
    Admittedly the RRP is pretty steep on this thing, so if you're not in a hurry then I recommend waiting for loose complete figures to start showing up at cheaper prices. Cos at about $150 you would definitely be getting your money's worth.

PHOTOS

In box

Jeep mode

Driven by Spike

With holographic driver

Comparison with G1 (vehicle)

w/ canopy closed

Comparison with BT Hound (vehicle)

Comparison with BT and G1 Hound (vehicle)

Spike riding BT Hound

Comparison with BT Hound (bonnet interior)

Dashboard detail

Robot mode

With pistol

Visor

Smiling face and key

Shouty face

A well balanced toy

Hologram effect

Comparison with G1 (robot)

Comparison with G1 and BT (robot)
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 30th December 2019 at 11:44 PM. Reason: spelling correction

I tried out Hound's canopy as his shield and I found it to be too heavy for Hound to wield it as a shield. It keeps on dragging the arm down on my Hound.

Not sure if Spike Witwicky...

...or David Hasselhoff

God Binaltech Hound looks sexy. Masterpiece Hound is the most cartoony offering yet

Great photos and write up. I love the nod to the G1 boxart too

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    God Binaltech Hound looks sexy. Masterpiece Hound is the most cartoony offering yet
    Another negative point about MP Hound is that there's no clearance beneath the car mode. It can't even roll on a flat surface, let alone go off road. Whereas BT Hound has loads of clearance and working suspension! In between taking comparison shots, I deliberately dropped BT Hound in Jeep mode onto the tiled floor and it bounced as it landed. I love how the shock absorbers on this toy actually absorb shock. BT Hound can roll off-road whereas MP Hound can't even roll on-road. Yeesh.

A few more pics...

The canopy/shield can hold most of Hound's accessories (just not the hologram stuff)

Unfortunately it makes the already heavy shield even heavier. There's no way that my MP Hound can hold this shield (couldn't even hold it properly when it wasn't storing anything, now it's got less than Buckley's)

Hound is actually taller than most of the other MP Cars.

Next to Henkei Hound.

"That's for bringing shame to my name!"

Mine hasn't arrived yet but in one online video it definitely rolls but the front wheels don't rotate as freely as the back ones.

Absolutely loving this guy! Transformation is complicated but intuitive and I was able to do it entirely without instructions. Looks awesome in both modes, with the only blemish for the bot mode being the neck hinge, but whatevs. Even though it references one G1 episode, I quite like the look of him with the canopy on the Jeep mode, although I kind of wish they had given us a cage for Ravage instead (referencing MTMTE). Really love the fact that his vehicle accessories (gas can, rear cannon and spare tire) can store in his feet for robot mode without needing to detach them, although you can detach them if you wish.
    He sure is expensive but now having it in hand I can see where the money goes. Highly recommend!

Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Anyone have a comparison of all the new Spike figures that have come with the recent Masterpieces - MP-44, MP-45 & MP-47 and how they compare as a whole to the previous "generation" of minifigures that we got with MP-10, MP-25 and MP-39?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Another negative point about MP Hound is that there's no clearance beneath the car mode. It can't even roll on a flat surface, let alone go off road.
    Not quite true, there's undeniably enough room underneath the vehicle. The issue is the clearance under the wheel arches. You have to have him transformed just so to get it to roll, but it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    Anyone have a comparison of all the new Spike figures that have come with the recent Masterpieces - MP-44, MP-45 & MP-47 and how they compare as a whole to the previous "generation" of minifigures that we got with MP-10, MP-25 and MP-39?

Here is MP45 and MP47 Spikes. As you can see the one that comes with Hound is much larger. I also did a comparison with MP44 and MP45 Spikes on the MP45 review thread