Thread: Gundam help

Default Gundam help

Sulking between interviews today, I checked out a hobby store in the Chinatown walkthru that Melburnians will know. I saw this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....link:middle:au

The guy in the store said it was $295 AUD but he was also selling a MP04 for $650... so I'm not sure what's the right price to pay for this.

And being noob builder of these sets I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how easy or hard these are to build? Is it only for very experienced builders or is it relatively easy to learn but just takes time? Any advice as to price and skill level would be much appreciated.

Hmm.. it is difficult to say exactly how easy/hard it would be to build.

The bigger scale generally hints are more parts (and more of smaller parts) to combine together.

But the fact that it does not state whether it's a Master or Perfect Grade may mean the skill level is relatively lower.

I have built a couple of 1/100 Master Grade kits. Provided you read the instructions carefully (they are not hard to understand), it is simply a matter of time (if you go slow like me, an MG 1/100 takes around 6 hours or so).

Think of building LEGO kits on steroids, does that analogy help?

Gundam kits are generally split into 4 categories - First Grade, High Grade, Master Grade and Perfect Grade with FG being the easiest to put together (and least detailed) to PG being the hardest and most detailed. FG kits are generally 1/144 scale, and HGs are split between 1/144 and 1/100 scale. MG and PG are almost always 1/100 scale. There are also 1/60 kits although I can't remember what grade these fall into. I suspect they are MG simply because their size means they would simply be overly difficult to replicate the detail apparent in a 1/100 scale kit without being obscenely expensive (and PG are pricey enough as they are). I personally find the HG 1/144 scale is a good compromise between cost and detail but I do buy HG 1/100 and MG 1/100 for the better Gundams. But the key reason I buy 1/144 HG is because it is the scale Bandai uses for the majority of their kits. Some of the less popular designs are not released in 1/100 scale which if you are aiming for consistency, really throws a spanner in the works. Plus, you will never find some of the larger items in 1/100 since it would make them disgustingly expensive (the Meteor Unit I recently completed is an example). As for skill level, I think anyone can build a Gundam, it just takes time and patience. I can do a MG kit in 4 to 6 hours uninterrupted but then again, I have modelling tools to help me so for a noob, you might find it takes slightly longer.

http://www.dannychoo.com/adp/eng/213...+Tutorial.html

Try that if you want to know the difference paint does

Hey thanks guys.l I hadn't forgotten about this. Just been too busy to follow it up. I'm probably looking to grab a set of this in June sometime when I'm on holiday and will start building for the first time in many years. Can't wait. I've read the wiring inside can be very tricky but I'm game.

Very satisfying once you get it all together..
    You can get those Super Deformed Gundams for like 5 bucks to practice on.. and shipping is cheap
    Satisfying when its all done

There's some nice builds in this thread. Makes me want to tackle one in the future.

http://forums.hobbyhype.com/showthre...t=2662&page=34

I stick to the 1/100 scale myself, I prefer the slightly larger kits. These are all snap together from my experience so you need a lower skill level to put them together but still need some idea how to clean the individual parts to give you the best joins possible. I haven't painted any of my Gundams but that is firstly pure laziness on my part and secondly i believe these guys get the best results with air guns of which I don't own one.

Mp-4 shouldn't be more than $300-$350 in Australia. Angolz has him for $210 US which is about $230 Aus. So once postage is paid and profit is added I believe anymore than the $300-$350 Mark is a rip off.

Robot Kindom: US $229.00 = AUD $249 (not inc postage)
    Transfiguretoys AUD $380 (free postage)
    Angolz: US $210 = AUD $230 (not inc postage)