Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13232829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Currency rates (added every week or two).

The iron ore price has been recovering lately, and it was the rapid drop in its price was what brought down the AU$ to begin with.

I'm so happy the JPY has come up recently, I'm heading over there soon and at 80 it's bad especially considering their negative interest rate, but at 85 I am happy because that's what it was when I was there in 2012 and TF prices were very good once converted, I missed out on some great exchange rates since then but that's the way she goes, fingers crossed for 85 or better in the next 5 weeks
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

We moved to Japan recently and transferred a little of our money across... it's depressing watching the rate nosedive, then climb, biting the bullet then watching it climb again! The place we transfer with actually had it over 85 today.

You could say i lost a couple hundred bucks in the last few days but i have to stop thinking like that... buying power here is completely different anyway so it's not really that clear-cut.

Of course i'd prefer more for my AUD though, so with a little in the bank now, I can bide my time longer on transferring more of our savings.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    We moved to Japan recently and transferred a little of our money across... it's depressing watching the rate nosedive, then climb, biting the bullet then watching it climb again! The place we transfer with actually had it over 85 today.

You could say i lost a couple hundred bucks in the last few days but i have to stop thinking like that... buying power here is completely different anyway so it's not really that clear-cut.

Of course i'd prefer more for my AUD though, so with a little in the bank now, I can bide my time longer on transferring more of our savings.
    Once the negative interest rates were announced in Japan I thought, yes, here we go the JPY will dive hard, but nothing. Just goes to show that our dollar is pretty friendly with the commodities market. I hope you can make some back as the AUD to JPY hopefully improves.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Well, what a big turnaround for the Aussie Dollar in the last two months, having big increases across all five of these currencies since January 12th (the last time I posted the rates).

As of today, according to xe.com, these are the current rates for AU$1...

- US$ - 0.7569 (up 6 cents in two months)
    - GB£ - 0.5262 (up 5 pence in two months)
    - JP¥ - 86.138 (up 4.5 yen in two months)
    - EU€ - 0.6789 (up 4 cents in two months)
    - NZ$ - 1.1215 (up 6 cents in two months)

These were the rates on January 12th...
    - US$ - 0.6962
    - GB£ - 0.4795
    - JP¥ - 81.698
    - EU€ - 0.6392
    - NZ$ - 1.0630

(bank and paypal rates are 2-3% less than the figures above)

The US Federal Reserve has come out today with some weaker forecasts for the US economy, which sent the US Dollar down against other currencies, including ours... giving us a current rate tonight at US 76.28 cents.

Fingers crossed it gains a few more cents before BotCon... obviously for me, but also for anyone else buying Convention toys next month.

As of today, according to xe.com, these are the current rates for AU$1...

- US$ - 0.7773 (up another 2 cents in the last month - that's 8 US cents in three months)
    - GB£ - 0.5427 (up 1.5 pence in the last month)
    - JP¥ - 84.981 (down 1 yen in the last month)
    - EU€ - 0.6855 (up 1 cent in the last month)
    - NZ$ - 1.1096 (down 1 cent in the last month)

(bank and paypal rates are 2-3% less than the figures above)

At least I didn't spend much at BotCon this year for it to bother me, but true to form, the AU$ dropped 2 US cents just on the day I got there (Wednesday 6th), and went back up 2 US cents the day after BotCon when I had finished spending. (typical)

Megatran Guest

Aussie dollar hits above USD 0.87

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Aussie dollar hits above USD 0.87
    USD $0.78?

Quote Originally Posted by kovert View Post
    USD $0.78?
    Yep.

I remember last year someone quoted an newspaper article saying the AUD was going to 50c. And I said these are just sensationalist stories to get attention. I bet pretty soon there will be a story saying the AUD is going to 90c or $1.