View Poll Results: What is the Primary Motivation behind your toy selections?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • The era of the toy (G1, BW, Unicron Trilogy etc)

8 20.51%
  • The toyline (Titanium, Alternators, Bot Shots etc)

0 0%
  • It’s a new figure that pays homage to a pre-existing toy/character (G1, BW etc)

8 20.51%
  • Love for a specific character (you want every Grimlock, Shockwave etc)

4 10.26%
  • The toy/character appears in comics/cartoons/movies/games

6 15.38%
  • The figure is rare and hard to come by

0 0%
  • The figure is of sufficient quality and complexity

5 12.82%
  • To complete specific sets (sub-groups, toylines etc)

2 5.13%
  • The Alt-Mode

1 2.56%
  • Price

0 0%
  • Other

5 12.82%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the Primary Motivation for the TF's you select to collect?

I just collect 1 (the best interpretation of a 'classics') toy for each character as general rule. I really don't see the point in have 20 Optimuses, 100 Bumblebees and 5 Prowls. So I picked 'other'.

I Picked Other,

im not limited to specifics or particulars if i like it ill get it. for the most part.

rare cheap expensive odd new old characters one and all.....
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

The nearest match for me, generally speaking, would be "The figure is of sufficient quality and complexity" -- i.e. if the toy itself appeals to me. Considering that most Transformers toys come out as toys first, I would often make my decision to get or skip a toy before I'm exposed to it in other media like shows or comics.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Hence my disapproval when they have used G1 names willy-nilly (Beast Wars Inferno, Energon Mirage, Bayverse Bonecrusher etc).
    Inferno was a pretty damn good reuse of a G1 name. G1 Inferno got his name because he loved extinguishing fires, BW Inferno because he loved making fires! (and he's just a lovable character in his own right )

"Burn in the fires of Inferno!"

To be fair, name reuses happened in G1 as well. We had two entirely unrelated Transformers who shared the same name such as:
    + Barrage (the Deluxe Insecticon rhino beetle)
    + Barrage (the Autobot lunar exploration vehicle fore)
    - Lightspeed (the futuristic sports car Technobot)
    - Lightspeed (the Ferrari F40 Autobot)
    * Afterburner (the "Tron" bike Technobot)
    * Afterburner (the Lockheed F-104G Starfighter Decepticon Skyscorcher)
    etc.
    So even keeping with just G1 itself, you do come across some name reuses amongst completely unrelated characters. It's almost as if Hasbro didn't think we'd notice!

•The quality/complexity of the figure. There were a LOT of movie toys I bypassed just because of their inferior nature or they were far too simplistic for my liking.
    Simplistic can be okay if it's done well, and complexity can be not so good if the transformation isn't very intuitive and detracts from the fun of transforming the toy (e.g. MP Megatron, Big Convoy, BT/ALT Grimlock/Wheeljack etc. <---JMO). On the other hand you can have some really simple but incredibly fun transformations too. I really quite love Flipchangers.

•Wanting to complete a specific set. Hence why even though I hated the figure, I gave up this year and bought G1 Blot so I could finally complete my G1 Terrorcon set.
    Yeah... I sometimes do this too. TFP Deluxe Smokescreen is an example of this. Only got him because he's a character on the show and I wanted a complete set of TFP show characters. At first I got the Arms Micron figure (redeco of Knockout), then I got the Beast Hunters (TakTOM) version. Both figures really aren't very good at all. (-_-) Thankfully I didn't pay above RRP for either of them (I actually got AM Smokescreen on sale ). But AM Frenzy and Rumble are among my favourite TFP figures and they don't even appear in the show... which is probably why they're better designed than most other TFP Deluxes since they're not encumbered by having to adhere to a pre-existing show design. FE Cliffjumper is probably the most impressive of the show-based TFP toys IMO.

My two most expensive "to complete a set" purchases I made were:
    + Supreme Cheetor ---> $100. The stupid thing was that I already had the smaller and cheaper Mega version! What a ridiculous purchase.
    + ROTF Combiner Class Devastator ---> $98. What a rip off. The stupid thing is that I already had the smaller and cheaper Legends figures. But I wanted a Devastator that was closer to scale w/ my larger movieverse toys.
    Thankfully these kinds of purchases don't happen too often.

I have bought a Transformer once just for the alt mode -- Universe Overcharge. A repaint of an underwhelming Mini-Con, but he's a taxi! Fantastic alt mode concept which really deserves to be revisited and done properly. But it really appeals to that "robots in disguise" element of Transformers to me. It only cost me a few dollars though.

My primary would have to be "The figure is of sufficient quality and complexity" too. Secondary would be series. I tend to just get the main action figure lines - Beast Hunters and Generations this year - but only ones that meet the first reason or ones that are G1 homage (I got the Predacon Terrorcons I'd otherwise skip) and show cast.

for me I chose "It’s a new figure that pays homage to a pre-existing toy/character " because mainly if it a good representation of the g1 character I tend to purchase it ...which mainly are the masterpiece line and some third party stuff as well .....

For me it's a combination of a character I can connect with, ie: I enjoyed the media they were in; and decent complexity / detail.
    I will go back and pick up less show accurate figures from a line I have a particular fondness for, like Beast Wars.

I voted for appearance in comics/characters/movies/games - I generally buy figures of what I saw onscreen, which is why G1-homaging and other repaints of Movieverse figures never appealed to me.

The exception would be a few of the Classicsverse figures, but again, that's because the ones I've bought were updated versions of characters which have had onscreen appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Inferno was a pretty damn good reuse of a G1 name. G1 Inferno got his name because he loved extinguishing fires, BW Inferno because he loved making fires! (and he's just a lovable character in his own right )

"Burn in the fires of Inferno!"

To be fair, name reuses happened in G1 as well. We had two entirely unrelated Transformers who shared the same name such as:
    + Barrage (the Deluxe Insecticon rhino beetle)
    + Barrage (the Autobot lunar exploration vehicle fore)
    - Lightspeed (the futuristic sports car Technobot)
    - Lightspeed (the Ferrari F40 Autobot)
    * Afterburner (the "Tron" bike Technobot)
    * Afterburner (the Lockheed F-104G Starfighter Decepticon Skyscorcher)
    etc.
    So even keeping with just G1 itself, you do come across some name reuses amongst completely unrelated characters. It's almost as if Hasbro didn't think we'd notice!

Yeah, but as someone that had been introduced to Beast Wars by randomly flicking through Foxtel channels, I didn't know at the time they were other characters that just happened to have the same name. All I knew was that suddenly 'Optimus' was a hairy monkey, 'Silverbolt' was a dog-bird thing, 'Rampage' was a crab and 'Inferno' was an ant. A friggin ant instead of a Fire Truck?!? It made me see red I tells you! Of course now I know better, but I still think it wouldn't have been a massive undertaking to just think up some new, as-unyet trademarked names

Don't forget Skydive from your list. Back in the day that was the only name where I had two G1 bots that shared it. Of course IDW fixed that by just killing Predators Sky Dive and leaving him on a junk pile I only just got Technobots Lightspeed to fight it out with Motorvators Lightspeed last month - I'd love to see Gripper turn up in the comics, always liked the toys rubber tyres

Whatever takes my fancy

Yeah, but as someone that had been introduced to Beast Wars by randomly flicking through Foxtel channels, I didn't know at the time they were other characters that just happened to have the same name. All I knew was that suddenly 'Optimus' was a hairy monkey, 'Silverbolt' was a dog-bird thing, 'Rampage' was a crab and 'Inferno' was an ant. A friggin ant instead of a Fire Truck?!? It made me see red I tells you!
    If it makes your past self feel any better, he is a fire ant, who aside from having a venomous sting, can also spit acid!.

Of course now I know better, but I still think it wouldn't have been a massive undertaking to just think up some new, as-unyet trademarked names
    I quite like Inferno's Italian name, "Formicula," from the Latin word for ant "Formicae" (ants are members of the Formicidae family). Although I don't know how cool it would sound to Italian fans (would it be as seemingly 'lame' as "Rhinox," "Cheetor" and "Tarantulas" is to English speakers I wonder). Cheetor's French name is pretty damn awesome though... Vélocitor.