Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: TF5 Movie (2017) production & filming details

After the last one, I'm finding it really hard to be excited for these movies anymore. It needs a reboot with a new director.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

I'm just thankful Ehren Kruger hasn't returned to write the script. Michael Bay does ok, his last film (13 hours) was quite watchable.

If they can get back some of the magic of the first live action film without as much human time in it I wouldn't complain.

I'm glad to see they're bringing Lennox (and possibly Epps) back as they are the most logical and enjoyable humans in the franchise. Military soldiers and Autobots working side by side makes sense and potentially means Bay will get access to blow stuff up with lots of cool military vehicles around.

I'm also glad to see Optimus' trailer appears to be on the back lot in Detroit ready to go too.

But.. the teaser image of (possibly) Optimus has me worried.
    I really have this gut fear they're going to turn Optimus into the bad guy - mind control, dark energon (they'll probably call it something like evilgon if they stick with the transformium mentality), rage monster, darth-vader'esque misguided fall into darkness, Unicron re-formatting him... I don't want any of that.
    If they do a Nemisis Prime I want him to be something completely separate to Optimus.
    And I don't want Lennox or the trailer to simply be some flashback setting. It drives me nuts in a show like Arrow when they bounce around the timeline and I really don't want to deal with something like that on the big screen.

Anyways, will be interesting to see where it starts headed now we're getting snippets teased and trickled out.

Optimus was already a bit of a rage monster. Or cold blooded killer.

The name has possibilities. I'm also glad they finally moved away from "The ____ of the ____"

Now to just get them to drop of. All movies aside from the first have had Of.
    Revenge of the fallen
    Dark of the moon
    Age of Extiction.

It's the only consistent element

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Optimus was already a bit of a rage monster. Or cold blooded killer
    That's what bothered me the most in the movies, especially as they progressed. Optimus was outright throwing lines like, "We'll kill them all!" and "You die!", and outright executed Sentinel Prime and Megatron in DotM.

Growing up with the cartoons, Optimus to me was a leader who inspired through courage and bravery, rather than being defined by war. Whilst the movies have a more edgy tone, I felt movie Optimus was the opposite personification of what he should be. Even Peter Cullen described voicing Optimus as a gentle leader, rather than one who yells and screams.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    I'm just thankful Ehren Kruger hasn't returned to write the script. Michael Bay does ok, his last film (13 hours) was quite watchable.
    Relatively recently I'm come to the 'conclusion' that the writing is the weak link in the movies thus far. I've never had an issue with following the plots, but people were complaining about characterisation. Bay's other movies have no shortage of character 'moments' if not development. What's different? The writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    I'm glad to see they're bringing Lennox (and possibly Epps) back as they are the most logical and enjoyable humans in the franchise. Military soldiers and Autobots working side by side makes sense and potentially means Bay will get access to blow stuff up with lots of cool military vehicles around.
    I'm happy about this too. As much as I understand that Sam is meant to be relatable as the audience surrogate, being an ordinary guy caught in an alien war, on quite a few occasions I wish we were following Lennox and Epps instead. It would be cool to see them interact with Marl Wahlberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    But.. the teaser image of (possibly) Optimus has me worried.
    I really have this gut fear they're going to turn Optimus into the bad guy - mind control, dark energon (they'll probably call it something like evilgon if they stick with the transformium mentality), rage monster, darth-vader'esque misguided fall into darkness, Unicron re-formatting him... I don't want any of that.
    Part of me is wondering if the purple eyes is just something for the poster to get people talking that won't actually be in the movie. Remember the early trailer for *Dark of the Moon* that had Sentinel Prime coloured gold?

As an aside, I always thought that 'transformium' was a jab at James Cameron's use of 'unobtainium' in Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Optimus was already a bit of a rage monster. Or cold blooded killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    That's what bothered me the most in the movies, especially as they progressed. Optimus was outright throwing lines like, "We'll kill them all!" and "You die!", and outright executed Sentinel Prime and Megatron in DotM.

Growing up with the cartoons, Optimus to me was a leader who inspired through courage and bravery, rather than being defined by war. Whilst the movies have a more edgy tone, I felt movie Optimus was the opposite personification of what he should be. Even Peter Cullen described voicing Optimus as a gentle leader, rather than one who yells and screams.
    I think that where G1 Optimus is upbeat and positive (good for a children's cartoon), movieverse Optimus is jaded by centuries of war. He knows that Decepticons are a threat to be taken down as quickly as possible, so he's ruthless in attacking Decepticons.

I'm also wondering if it's possible that fans didn't like the way Optimus was thrown around like a rag doll by Megatron in the '07 movie (people were complaining that Optimus and Megatron are meant to be equals), so the writers/producers/Bay compensated by making him more badass in the sequels.

I suspect his "we will kill them all" line was meant for Sam and Epps' benefit, since they'd just been attacked by a Decepticon fighter, and were trying to enter a city that the Decepticons had taken over.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I personally never had any problems following the plots,
    There's not much to follow. The Twilight Saga arguably has more of a plot than the Transformers movies, and that's already a really low bar.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    There's not much to follow. The Twilight Saga arguably has more of a plot than the Transformers movies, and that's already a really low bar.
    At the risk of derailing the thread, I never understood the 'little plot'/'no plot' criticism. I could tell what was going on, could follow a sequence of events, and understood what characters were doing and why.

I'm at the point where I expect nothing but garbage out of Michael Bay. I don't expect Transformers to win an Oscar (except maybe for visual effects) but would it kill them to make something on the quality level of a MCU movie?
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.