Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: TF2 - ROTF Movie reviews and comments.

Default TF2 - ROTF Movie reviews and comments.

As the days count down to the release of the Movie to the general public, and some are getting to see advance/review screenings, this is a topic for people to talk about the Movie, without fear of spoiling it for others.

So let yourself go, and talk about what you thought, good or bad (keep it sensible though). Give it a rating too if you want, to see what the general impression of it is by those of us here.

TURN BACK NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE AND DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILT!!!

Cool, I saw it on Friday at a reviewers screening. I thought it was pretty cool overall and extremely enjoyable, but naturally there were niggles.

Overall I give it a healthy 3.5/5
    I gave the first 3/5 for a comparison of my scoring.

On with the cool stuff. The opening scene was INCREDIBLE and it never seemed to slow down from there, which is quite something considering the movie is about two and a half hours. Whatever people say about Michael Bay, the boy knows how to do action! Fights are great and there are plenty of them. The best is the one in the forest, its long and great to watch. The final fight though was a bit of a let down and over too quick for my liking.

When there aren't fights though, the movie feels a little clunky. There are awkward bit where one character is explaining things over a scene and it all feels rushed and tacked on. Just to justify the current scene on screen. Odd that it is rushed, as the movie is two and a half hours long, and it doesn't really need to be.

There is a lot of TF lore being slapped into this one. The Fallen being one of the first TFs, Prime being a rank amoung Tfs and the Matrix of leadership being used as well ( although its use doesn't quite match up with the name). Protoforms are in there too.

It is very slapstick with in my opinion far too many comedy characters. I count 7!
    Sam's roomate
    Sam's Mum/Dad
    The Twins
    "Agent" Simmons
    Wheelie
    Bumblebee.

Too many methinks. The twins were cranking the Jar-Jar binks level of irritation towards the end which was not helped by the swearing they dished out. Why do a lot of TFs talk with anoying Urban "gangster(?)" slang?

Scenes were there that didn't really need to be. Sam's mum has a corker at the Uni involving marijuana that although quite funny, wouldn't have been missed if cut.

There is also the ocaasional continuity problem and some set ups for scenes just seem wierd. Optimus's entrance being the first, but it is a GOOD entrance. Megatron's return is justified, but later Blackout shows up and Scorponok makes a brief cameo. No reason arises for Blackouts return and Scorps has all his assets. Also I think the scene where that aircraft carrier gets downed by Tfs is just forgotten about. I can't recall exactly.

Soundwave is voiced by Frank welker again, but although he is doing his Soundwave voice, they neglected to synthesise it, so S/wave sounds like Dr Claw......

Devestator while impressive and cool wasn't in it for long enough and has devastation quotient was pitifully low. The twins take him on and are smashing up his head, but then later Devs is climbing the pyramid and we have no sign of the twins... Oh and Devs is male and naked....

And for those who whinge about the Devs toy only hvaing vehicle modes, well, it is sort of justified in the movie. It comes across to me that the constructicons are almost "clonish." There are plenty about and they look so similar as to seem like the same one. When Devs joins up, he grabs the cons from vehicle mode, so the actual ones that form Devs you don't see in robot mode. Then later on, you see a constructicon fighting melee whilst Devs s getting around.

I think that will do for now. Feeling tired and might go gets some sleeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy
    Blackout shows up and Scorponok makes a brief cameo. No reason arises for Blackouts return and Scorps has all his assets.
    Bonecrusher made an appearance too.

My thoughts?

First I have to get over the awesomeness of the review screening being in a new VMax cinema with plush leather seating and only about 20 people. Luxury. Plus, SeishinKibou won a foldout keyboard and I won a 'transforming' usb hub.

Anywho, what I can say is this is a typical Bay movie. There's the irreverent, 'slapstick' humour which works in parts but not in others (if you thought Bumblebee pissing on Simmons was bad, wait until you see what Bay did to poor Devastator), there's quite a few inconsistencies that fans should be able to piece together but the average cinema goer will have no clue about, and there's a shit-ton of explosions. And robots. Sooooooo many robots.

The twins weren't actually as bad as I thought they'd be, and though they had a moment or two where their actions made me roll my eyes, I actually liked them. They're certainly not Jar-Jar bad, and they had a few funny lines. Keep an eye on Mudflap when in battle, because he's actually got some skills.

Jetfire I feel was too overplayed as the 'old man', nonetheless I liked his character.

Prime kicked arse. Seriously, he can fight in this one. The forest battle from the previews ruled.

Wheelie was gold. I love how they took an annoying, rhyming 'tard and made a foul-mouthed malcontent. He was priceless, though the last scene of him is cringeworthy. Bay.....*shakes fist*

Ravage was awesome. That's all I need to say. And Soundwave's voice. Not exactly G1, but damn close to it. Yeah, it is Welker, but it seems based off another of his characters.

The main gripe I had was despite the amount of robot action, there still wasn't enough time put to developing all their personalities or giving each robot their due credit. They pretty much stuck to just a few (Starscream finally acted like Starscream), and a lot of the characters I was really looking forward to seeing were simply given 15 seconds of fame or used as cannon fodder.

I also feel they buggered up Megatron. Not only did his resurrection seem rushed (one second he's a corpse in many pieces, next he's reassembled in the blink of an eye), but the way he and the The Fallen interact seemed to diminish his presence of character and his ideologies.

I've been trying to work out if this is equal to or better than the first film. I think a few more viewings and this one will definitely rate higher, because the problem is it's still only fresh in my mind and I'm thinking too critically of it, not just from an entertaiment viewpoint. Plus, I've seen the first film countless times because I love it so it's hard saying if this is better or not.

Though for now, I will say it's slightly better for a few reasons. One - so many robots, some awesome action scenes and beautiful transformations. Two - Kevin Michael Richardson did a voice, and I loooooove his voice. Three - Isabel Lucas box shot.

From a critical observers point, I'd give it 3. From a fan's point, I'm giving it 4. I'll post up the review I have to do for the magazine. My editor came with me and he's also doing one, so his will be the 'average cinema goer' and mine will be the 'TF fan' viewpoint.
    Last edited by Sleeve; 23rd June 2009 at 09:05 AM.

a review by the atomicmpc team -> http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Review/1...en-review.aspx

It sounds like this movie is pretty full on. The review on bigpond wap site described it as "Eating a piece of cake made entirely out of icing. Great for the first 3/4 but you really struggle to make it to the end"
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

All these reviews are making me impatient. As long as there's more robot vs robot fights and destruction than the first movie, i'm happy.

So what happens to Jolt and Arcee?

Quote Originally Posted by evilman378 View Post
    So what happens to Jolt and Arcee?
    Jolt gets a throw-away line at the end, only after seeing him about twice. I sat through the movie wondering who some of the Tfs were...
    Arcee: well one of them = BLAM!

Does Barricade make an appearance? Or does he turn out to be another conveniently forgotten loose end?

Barricade does not appear in the film. He did turn up in the prequel novel 'The Veiled Threat' and that is where he met his fate.