Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What toys do you A: Regret not buying cheap, B: Found reasonably or C: Paid too much!

Megatran Guest

1: What figures do you really want but you think have just gotten too expensive compared to their original price to warrant buying?

Diaclone Battle Convoy & G1 original Optimus Prime. Ridiculous prices these days means I'll never own one. Didn't help that I only started collecting in the last 2 years.

2: What figures have been too expensive but after years of patience you finally found for a reasonable price?

'Diaclone' Ultra Magnus & Nucleon Super Convoy. Right place, right time .... distressed seller. A slab if VB helped seal the deal.

3: What figures did you know were way too expensive but you ended up buying anyway?

MP-08X King Grimlock (first run). Ended up buying two. To add insult to injury, a second run is coming out very soon.

1: What figures do you really want but you think have just gotten too expensive compared to their original price to warrant buying?

* Million Publishing United Stepper. WTH eBay, should have listened to Leige and got him at a discount from BBTS at $90.
    * FP Protector (original).
    * FP City Commander Add-on set (for the original release).

2: What figures have been too expensive but after years of patience you finally found for a reasonable price?

* TF Cybertron Primus (missing two missiles). Won it from eBay and when I met up the seller decided to only charge me $50. I think she may have been a member here, but it was before I became more active.
    * TF Energon Wing Sabre. Buddy got it for a steal from Supanova for $10.

3: What figures did you know were way too expensive but you ended up buying anyway?

* TFCC Nexus Prime (nee Maximus). Picked all 5 members separately over the course of 1 year. Another year later the complete sets start popping up on eBay at about 60-70% what I collectively paid.
    * TFCC Punch/Counterpunch. Paid a mega-impatience tax for this.
    * Botcon 2005 Deathsaurus. Percentage-wise probably not as bad as Punch/Counterpunch. Dammit, never again TFCC.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

The Botcon Dawn of Future's Past 2006 figures. I have none.
    The Botcon Shattered Glass 2008 figures. I have a few like Sideswipe, Goldbug

G1 Bumblejumper/Bumper; I managed to get him on eBay for $100

RiD Brave (Fortress) Maximus

Animated Ramjet, the sucker sits at about $100 on eBay lately, it's just an activator, but with this one I'll have a full set of represented screen characters from the show. I'd maybe stretch to $50 just because it's fairly rare.

As mentioned by others, a lot of G1 figures are very expensive these days and the want to collect them doesn't yet outweigh the realisation that I will probably only transform them a few times before they spend a lot of their life just sitting on a shelf and that the transformation they do have will be interesting from a historical perspective but nowhere near as engaging as a modern interpretation of the same character.
    A G1 Jetfire is a perfect example, or some of the targetmaster juniors.

Takara masterpiece Rodimus prime. Even the second run of this toy is known for having issues, I can't justify the $300 eBay is asking for it when I got the majority of the toy in the Hasbro Release for $65. If I could find it MISB for $150 I'd seriously consider it.

At this years Botcon I got a very nice loose G1 Apeface for $100, given that in 2011 something of similar value was sitting around the $120 - $140 mark, I think that's a good deal.

I also picked up a Loose complete, working Powermaster Darkwing from this years Con for $65. now I have the complete pair after 25 years.

The reissue Fortress Maximus filled a "Large" hole in my collection.

I'll get back to you on this one, generally if I'm not happy with a price for something, I'll pass and keep my eyes out for a better opportunity.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Battle Gaea/ Guard City

Tough one..probably my boxed G1 jetfire to replace my loose incomplete one

Blue Bacchus!

my biggest regret was rotf deluxe rampage, worst toy ever.

G1 Artfire

The Soundwave design centre

MIB G1 Skylynx.

Even at $15, I paid too damn much for Age of Extinction One Step Changer Lockdown.

Those CHUG seekers. It is insane how much you have to set down for them...

Well I now have a new all time winner for 'spent too much'.

I really wanted the US-TRU exclusive G1 Kreo Grimlock set. But after my TRU account kept stuffing up and TRU could not sort it out I decided to get it posted to the same US friend who got my Hasbro MP Soundwave for me.

So, a $30US figure, $10US to get it shipped to my friend. So now $40US. But I think "What the hell, its small and flat and light so should be very cheap to post so should only cost me maybe another $15 at most". Give my friend instructions to use the cheapest possible shipping method as it cost me a bit when she shipped Soundwave.

Get contacted by my friend. I forgot she and her husband are lovely but not the brightest bikkies in the barrel (she took up 'bikini dancing' {apparently different from stripping} as a career at age 41 and he legally changed his name to 'Blade'). They said it cost them 50 damn dollars US to ship it! And when it gets here its in a box that could easily have fit 6 of this kit and they have used an expensive carrier!

So I just ended up paying $90US for a $30US Kreo set