Page 57 of 82 FirstFirst ... 374752535455565758596061626777 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Stuff

The thing that really irks me about the whitewashing in Ghost in the Shell is how they deliberately drew attention to it. Like they actually made it part of the freakin' story. When I watched the movie, I made the conscious decision to ignore the politics behind the movie and try to appreciate the movie on its own merits, but instead the film threw the politics into my face, making it impossible for me to ignore. GAH!

Things like whitewashing and other similar equivalents - regardless of what we think about it - is easier to overlook when the story doesn't make it an issue.
    e.g. Katniss Everdeen was whitewashed in the Hunger Games films, but the films never make it an issue. Basically Katniss is white in the cinematic Hunger Games universe, but dark-skinned in the original book continuity.
    Kusanagi is a Japanese in the original manga and anime continuities of GitS, but Japanese... in a Caucasian shell... in the cinematic... GAH!! This did not need to be an issue! Wannna make her White? Just make her White and, as they say in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, GET ON WITH IT!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The thing that really irks me about the whitewashing in Ghost in the Shell is how they deliberately drew attention to it. Like they actually made it part of the freakin' story. When I watched the movie, I made the conscious decision to ignore the politics behind the movie and try to appreciate the movie on its own merits, but instead the film threw the politics into my face, making it impossible for me to ignore. GAH!

Things like whitewashing and other similar equivalents - regardless of what we think about it - is easier to overlook when the story doesn't make it an issue.
    e.g. Katniss Everdeen was whitewashed in the Hunger Games films, but the films never make it an issue. Basically Katniss is white in the cinematic Hunger Games universe, but dark-skinned in the original book continuity.
    Kusanagi is a Japanese in the original manga and anime continuities of GitS, but Japanese... in a Caucasian shell... in the cinematic... GAH!! This did not need to be an issue! Wannna make her White? Just make her White and, as they say in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, GET ON WITH IT!
    While I'm not as much of a movie buff as I used to be, I get what you're going with this completely. I think it was more of a case of trying to temper the flare-ups of fans who would've cried 'whitewashing' but it backfired quite spectacularly.

On another random note, i'll be off the boards for about a week taking some leave time. It's been fun thus far so I'll definitely be returning!

It's been great having you here, enjoy your leave!
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Galvatran Guest

After having told my team to seriously consider putting in annal leave for today to take advantage of the extra long weekend as the run to the end of the calendar year is going to be crazy frantic, none took up that option. You guessed right. None showed up for work today. '"I can't come i today because I got sick kid(s)" story. The great aussie tradition lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    After having told my team to seriously consider putting in annal leave for today to take advantage of the extra long weekend as the run to the end of the calendar year is going to be crazy frantic, none took up that option. You guessed right. None showed up for work today. '"I can't come i today because I got sick kid(s)" story. The great aussie tradition lives on.
    Dock them pay. With no med cert provided you don't need to pay them. It works real quick believe you me
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CHILENO20 View Post
    Dock them pay. With no med cert provided you don't need to pay them. It works real quick believe you me
    Company policy requires med cert for personal leave immediately before or after a public holiday. So no doubt one will be produced. Nothing much I can do.

Another horse went down in the melbourne cup.

Cross counter won.

What do we think about horse racing?

Well... would people watch/go to horse races if there wasn't gambling? I wonder if the horse racing (and dog racing) industry would survive if gambling on them was banned?

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Well... would people watch/go to horse races if there wasn't gambling? I wonder if the horse racing (and dog racing) industry would survive if gambling on them was banned?
    This has been my argument for some time. It is a "sport" that would not exist on its own merits.

Doesn't matter which horses race. The only winners are a handful of lucky punters and all the bookies. All on the back of serious animal cruelty.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!