Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: The Soundwaves Podcast

Sorry in the delay of the 3rd ep guys. It's right around the corner. Organising a guest host or two
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Thumbs up

Hey KelEl and Hursticon,

I've listened to both your episodes now, and I'm hanging for the third.

(Please take the following with consideration that Mrs UltraMarginal is away and I'm tanked up on my new drink of choice "Bulkeads Bliss" )

My critiques:
    I love that there is finally an Aussie based Transformers podcast even if it's not exclusively transformers. Australianisms like "yea naa" make my day.

Hursti, you keep saying "indeed" the next thing I expect to hear is "Jafa Kri!!" or Colnel O'Niell saying "hey Kids"

Overall I very much enjoy your podcast, time isn't really a concern to me as I listen to podcasts on the way to work and back with is a 90 minute round trip each day. I use the beyond pod podcast player on my android phone, it pauses as soon as it'e unplugged from the car stereo and only continues when I press play. (awesome software if you have an android phone I totally recommend it.)

To give you an idea of where I'm comng from my podcasts of choice are as follows:

ESPN: Baseball Today
    Radio Free Cybertron
    TF Wire
    Seibertron.com Twincast
    This week in tech
    wtf@tfw
    All Things Transformers
    And of course "Shooting the Sh#t"

I don't listen to much stuff...

Anyway, your last podcast with the third party round up was pretty good, it just seemed to drag a little around the third party section, we are all intersted in third party gear but when all you have to talk about is a couple images, perhaps you don't need to talk about the one picture for more than a couple minutes or so, you start to repeat yourself or ramble. you did however make a couple interesting observations that I then only noticed after you had pointed them out, this is after I'd spent a couple lunchtimes at work pooring over the pictures myself.

your reviews/impressions of items you have picked up/have in hand/or there are plentiful pictures with enough info to not require too much guessing, is much more interesting to listen to.

One of the drawbacks of the TFW podcast is they often discuss something till it's a beaten dead horse that's been pushed over a waterfall into a lake full of pirahna. careful you don't start doing this too often as it really slows down the flow of the 'cast. sometimes it does yield an iteresting insight or comment but it may be after 10 minutes of them repeating themselves.

Seibertron have lately been a bit disjointed due to there being too many "voice jokes " by Jon 3.0. I generally find him very entertaining but a lot of less experienced performers take every opportunity to try to be funny when sometimes its better to skip a few to make the most out of the other occasions. sometimes he gets a bit much and smothers the topic. be aware of this with any guests you bring on and don't be afraid to constructively reign them in, it will be better for the podcast and should help them develop professionally.

One of my biggest beefs with any podcast is recording levels.
    some times there is a particular member of the cast that is super quiet or super loud so that in order to hear everyone at some point your eardrums are bleeding from the loud portion. Try to avoid this if you can. I'm fairly tanked right now but I seem to recall KalEl that you are a little quieter than Hursti. it might be the other way around though. I also realise that you are working with a "limited" budget, that precludes the use of expensive software.

See what you can do about podcast Data Volume. the Baseball today podcast I listen to is generally about an hour long, it is in crisp clear stereo and usually no more than an 8MB download. I realise they have the backing of ESPN but surely it's not too hard to avearge out sound levels and compress a stereo sound file. Obviously the quality of Microphone and software used to record effects this and might be outside of your budgetory constraints. but something to consider. for me, the seibertron twincast podcast is the worst offender as they have many members and some are very quiet relatively and often downloading their podcast requires several attempts and I end up spending 500 or so MB of my 2GB quota getting hold of their 70 to 100 MB file something to do with their server droping out and restarting. Yet to have this problem with the shooting the sh#t podcast.

I have really enjoyed your first two Podcasts, there were some slow moments but overall thoroughly great.
    I'd be most happy to join in, I don't yet have skype though I do have a usb headset with a mic.

It might also help the flow of the podcast if you structure it a little more. the radio free cybverton podcast if very good, they have very distinct segments which helps maintain flow but at the moment it's a little too segmented. which breaks it up a little too much for my liking.

don't feel any need to do comic reviews, I get the trades so any podcast that I listen to that reviews the individual issues tends to get fast forwarded through.

I really like disussions about the latest episodes of TF:Prime, or latest toys, I hope you cover Fall of Cybertron but don't give away anything soon as I'm still working through the campaign.

Something I've noticed about transformers fandom over the last couple years is an extreme level of negativity.
    This is a Golden era for Transformers fans, we've just had 3 worldwide blockbuster motion pictures that have spawned several toy lines, some complex, some not so much. A leader class toy that literally takes 20 minutes or so to transform because that's how complex it is!
    A tv series that while stylised, ushered in a new era of screen accuracy in toys.
    Masterpiece transformers that are essentially Quad changers or so vehicle accurate, that with the right photographer you could be fooled into thinking it's a photo of a real truck
    A general toy line that encompasses re-imagineings of early designs and modern engineering, bringing vehicle modes of real aircraft and cars that Engineers(me) are happy to display on their shelf at work.
    A new tv series that is the most visually/aurally and technically impressive show ever, where new toys like wheeljack are both elegant, simple and inspiring all at the same time. That vehicle mode is actually a Lancia Stratos concept. "Nerdgasm" (which is slightly less earthshattering than a Hurstigasm).

Aside: Im slightly less impressed by the colour images of MP soundwave than I was by the uncoloured prototype images. I don't know why this is, I shoul dbe walking around with permanent trouble standing up straight. "nerd Boners have so many applicatinos"

There are toys of frickin Computer game characters!! and they are very good. especially SHOCKWAVE. I'm hanging to get hold of SDCC FOC BRUTICUS. I have a buddy who's currently working in the states who has volunteered to be my plastic crack mule. ( Dear Adam, you ROCK)

less than ten years ago, the best we as a fandome could hope for was "unicron trilogy toys" (sad face) every time I passed through a toy department I was dissapointed. I did pick up a cannonball and a "somthing somethign" (A green sedan with two rectangular rockret launchers.)

People give Has Tak a hard time for not producing something like TFC Hercules, realistiically though HasTak could not produce something like this for the mass retail market if things like a"dop Test" are real. It's just too big and heavy. they should be given props for a figure like TFPrime wheejack an dBreakdown. Masterpiece Soundwave and Sideswipe.

the fandom seem s impatient, for more combiners and G1 Homages. realisticlly though, this stuff needs time, time to be developed and produces, time to be spear out so it's not all produced at the same time , time for the collwectors wallet to come up for a breath between masterpieces and prime characters.

Personally , between the Transformers Collectors club subscriptions and regular retail releases and mastepieces and non western releases like Breakdown, I just don't have the money spare for anything third party, I'm struggling to find the monfey for the ccss.

I love transformers, Science fiction and all the relatecd toys, I love listening to podcasts that cover these passions ov mine/it's like a morning radio for nerds (and I mean that in the most positive way possible)

keep up the good work, I'd love to get involved if you could find room for me.
    r4ock on and all the best for future episodes.

UltraMarginal
    ( I'm still drunk, I'm going outside for a cigar and some port and some transformers comic reading.)

"Till All Are One"
    or something less cliche'd.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

^^^ Lol. Epic post.

I love the wisdom of the intoxicated.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

sheepish now

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    Hey KelEl and Hursticon,

I've listened to both your episodes now, and I'm hanging for the third.

(Please take the following with consideration that Mrs UltraMarginal is away and I'm tanked up on my new drink of choice "Bulkeads Bliss" )

My critiques:
    I love that there is finally an Aussie based Transformers podcast even if it's not exclusively transformers. Australianisms like "yea naa" make my day.

Hursti, you keep saying "indeed" the next thing I expect to hear is "Jafa Kri!!" or Colnel O'Niell saying "hey Kids"

Overall I very much enjoy your podcast, time isn't really a concern to me as I listen to podcasts on the way to work and back with is a 90 minute round trip each day. I use the beyond pod podcast player on my android phone, it pauses as soon as it'e unplugged from the car stereo and only continues when I press play. (awesome software if you have an android phone I totally recommend it.)

To give you an idea of where I'm comng from my podcasts of choice are as follows:

ESPN: Baseball Today
    Radio Free Cybertron
    TF Wire
    Seibertron.com Twincast
    This week in tech
    wtf@tfw
    All Things Transformers
    And of course "Shooting the Sh#t"

I don't listen to much stuff...

Anyway, your last podcast with the third party round up was pretty good, it just seemed to drag a little around the third party section, we are all intersted in third party gear but when all you have to talk about is a couple images, perhaps you don't need to talk about the one picture for more than a couple minutes or so, you start to repeat yourself or ramble. you did however make a couple interesting observations that I then only noticed after you had pointed them out, this is after I'd spent a couple lunchtimes at work pooring over the pictures myself.

your reviews/impressions of items you have picked up/have in hand/or there are plentiful pictures with enough info to not require too much guessing, is much more interesting to listen to.

One of the drawbacks of the TFW podcast is they often discuss something till it's a beaten dead horse that's been pushed over a waterfall into a lake full of pirahna. careful you don't start doing this too often as it really slows down the flow of the 'cast. sometimes it does yield an iteresting insight or comment but it may be after 10 minutes of them repeating themselves.

Seibertron have lately been a bit disjointed due to there being too many "voice jokes " by Jon 3.0. I generally find him very entertaining but a lot of less experienced performers take every opportunity to try to be funny when sometimes its better to skip a few to make the most out of the other occasions. sometimes he gets a bit much and smothers the topic. be aware of this with any guests you bring on and don't be afraid to constructively reign them in, it will be better for the podcast and should help them develop professionally.

One of my biggest beefs with any podcast is recording levels.
    some times there is a particular member of the cast that is super quiet or super loud so that in order to hear everyone at some point your eardrums are bleeding from the loud portion. Try to avoid this if you can. I'm fairly tanked right now but I seem to recall KalEl that you are a little quieter than Hursti. it might be the other way around though. I also realise that you are working with a "limited" budget, that precludes the use of expensive software.

See what you can do about podcast Data Volume. the Baseball today podcast I listen to is generally about an hour long, it is in crisp clear stereo and usually no more than an 8MB download. I realise they have the backing of ESPN but surely it's not too hard to avearge out sound levels and compress a stereo sound file. Obviously the quality of Microphone and software used to record effects this and might be outside of your budgetory constraints. but something to consider. for me, the seibertron twincast podcast is the worst offender as they have many members and some are very quiet relatively and often downloading their podcast requires several attempts and I end up spending 500 or so MB of my 2GB quota getting hold of their 70 to 100 MB file something to do with their server droping out and restarting. Yet to have this problem with the shooting the sh#t podcast.

I have really enjoyed your first two Podcasts, there were some slow moments but overall thoroughly great.
    I'd be most happy to join in, I don't yet have skype though I do have a usb headset with a mic.

It might also help the flow of the podcast if you structure it a little more. the radio free cybverton podcast if very good, they have very distinct segments which helps maintain flow but at the moment it's a little too segmented. which breaks it up a little too much for my liking.

don't feel any need to do comic reviews, I get the trades so any podcast that I listen to that reviews the individual issues tends to get fast forwarded through.

I really like disussions about the latest episodes of TF:Prime, or latest toys, I hope you cover Fall of Cybertron but don't give away anything soon as I'm still working through the campaign.

Something I've noticed about transformers fandom over the last couple years is an extreme level of negativity.
    This is a Golden era for Transformers fans, we've just had 3 worldwide blockbuster motion pictures that have spawned several toy lines, some complex, some not so much. A leader class toy that literally takes 20 minutes or so to transform because that's how complex it is!
    A tv series that while stylised, ushered in a new era of screen accuracy in toys.
    Masterpiece transformers that are essentially Quad changers or so vehicle accurate, that with the right photographer you could be fooled into thinking it's a photo of a real truck
    A general toy line that encompasses re-imagineings of early designs and modern engineering, bringing vehicle modes of real aircraft and cars that Engineers(me) are happy to display on their shelf at work.
    A new tv series that is the most visually/aurally and technically impressive show ever, where new toys like wheeljack are both elegant, simple and inspiring all at the same time. That vehicle mode is actually a Lancia Stratos concept. "Nerdgasm" (which is slightly less earthshattering than a Hurstigasm).

Aside: Im slightly less impressed by the colour images of MP soundwave than I was by the uncoloured prototype images. I don't know why this is, I shoul dbe walking around with permanent trouble standing up straight. "nerd Boners have so many applicatinos"

There are toys of frickin Computer game characters!! and they are very good. especially SHOCKWAVE. I'm hanging to get hold of SDCC FOC BRUTICUS. I have a buddy who's currently working in the states who has volunteered to be my plastic crack mule. ( Dear Adam, you ROCK)

less than ten years ago, the best we as a fandome could hope for was "unicron trilogy toys" (sad face) every time I passed through a toy department I was dissapointed. I did pick up a cannonball and a "somthing somethign" (A green sedan with two rectangular rockret launchers.)

People give Has Tak a hard time for not producing something like TFC Hercules, realistiically though HasTak could not produce something like this for the mass retail market if things like a"dop Test" are real. It's just too big and heavy. they should be given props for a figure like TFPrime wheejack an dBreakdown. Masterpiece Soundwave and Sideswipe.

the fandom seem s impatient, for more combiners and G1 Homages. realisticlly though, this stuff needs time, time to be developed and produces, time to be spear out so it's not all produced at the same time , time for the collwectors wallet to come up for a breath between masterpieces and prime characters.

Personally , between the Transformers Collectors club subscriptions and regular retail releases and mastepieces and non western releases like Breakdown, I just don't have the money spare for anything third party, I'm struggling to find the monfey for the ccss.

I love transformers, Science fiction and all the relatecd toys, I love listening to podcasts that cover these passions ov mine/it's like a morning radio for nerds (and I mean that in the most positive way possible)

keep up the good work, I'd love to get involved if you could find room for me.
    r4ock on and all the best for future episodes.

UltraMarginal
    ( I'm still drunk, I'm going outside for a cigar and some port and some transformers comic reading.)

"Till All Are One"
    or something less cliche'd.
    Thanks a heap for the feedback mate!
    Im really glad you are enjoying it!
    As time goes on I am learning more about the "technical" side of the podcast game and obviously smoothness with follow.
    As for you joining in, i'd love to have you onboard, download skype and let me know your details in a pm. We can talk a few times prior to recording to build fluidity and report. Also sometimes hursti isn't available so if it works out with you, you may become a regular as i'd like to record weekly

As for the over use you talk of, i try to just keep it as natural as possible. Not try to be funny but just let it happy etc. Im not worried to much as it will find its own fan-base.

Do you listen to Preorder66?
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Just wanted to let you guys know how much I enjoyed the first episode! Looking forward to listening to more eps.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    Just wanted to let you guys know how much I enjoyed the first episode! Looking forward to listening to more eps.
    Thanks man! really looking forward to getting more out And regularly releases too.
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

recording this sat for sure! just have to secure a co-host or two...
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Quote Originally Posted by KalEl View Post
    Thanks a heap for the feedback mate!
    Im really glad you are enjoying it!
    As time goes on I am learning more about the "technical" side of the podcast game and obviously smoothness with follow.
    As for you joining in, i'd love to have you onboard, download skype and let me know your details in a pm. We can talk a few times prior to recording to build fluidity and report. Also sometimes hursti isn't available so if it works out with you, you may become a regular as i'd like to record weekly

As for the over use you talk of, i try to just keep it as natural as possible. Not try to be funny but just let it happy etc. Im not worried to much as it will find its own fan-base.

Do you listen to Preorder66?

I'll see about Skype in the next week and let you know how I go. I won't commit to being a regular, but i'd be keen as to be a guest a couple times.

The over use of character voices/humour really only applies to the Twincast at the moment. My mentioning it above is really only a future caution, something to be aware of moving forward. interjected jokes, funny moments and occasionally losing track due to a funny tangent is great listening.

I am yet to listen to Pre-order 66 but I'm guessing I might need to at some time in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I'll see about Skype in the next week and let you know how I go. I won't commit to being a regular, but i'd be keen as to be a guest a couple times.

The over use of character voices/humour really only applies to the Twincast at the moment. My mentioning it above is really only a future caution, something to be aware of moving forward. interjected jokes, funny moments and occasionally losing track due to a funny tangent is great listening.

I am yet to listen to Pre-order 66 but I'm guessing I might need to at some time in the near future.
    preorder is good and im looking at getting jacksack to guest host
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast