Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandarake!

Default Mandarake!

If you guys ever...EVER get a chance to visit Akihabara, Tokyo, Make sure you visit Mandarake...I was in geek paradise lol. The place just reeks of nostalgia, It has so many G1,G2, Beastwars, masterpiece transformers, pretty much everything. I was so blown away. Akihabara surprisingly doesn't have many stores selling transformers.. Sofmap Amusment store only had 1 G1 omega supreme... I found way more in other suburbs like Asakusa, and Shinjuku. Its pretty cool seeing the tak/tom transformers as normal toys with the mean paint jobs just in the shelves, they just seem more 'finished?'

It looks so cool from some of the picture of those store ....ill be in there for hour on end just looking at all the stuff they have !

I'll be there 19/1 can't wait
    Hunting:
    Beast Wars/Machines/Neo/Second

Mandrake is a great store, there are 3 levels if you go to the Nakano (tokyo) one. Each level has different types of toys, Transformers/Anime/Star Wars. I visit their regularly, the prices are not too bad either, but do your homework.

damn awesome store. I found the nakano store was a bit better for transformers

Quote Originally Posted by evandouglas86 View Post
    If you guys ever...EVER get a chance to visit Akihabara, Tokyo, Make sure you visit Mandarake...I was in geek paradise lol.
    Heh, I couldn't do it when I was in Tokyo last time because my wife had already given me an entire day to hang out with Transfans and visit various stores in Osaka... that was my "Transformers day," and the rest of the trip was meant to be focused on other stuff. Still, I had great fun in Osaka just talking with fans... you get some interesting insights from Japanese fans that Western fans don't necessarily discuss or think about and also vice versa -- so it was like a geeky cultural exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by phealey View Post
    Mandrake is a great store, there are 3 levels if you go to the Nakano (tokyo) one.
    I'm sure that was just a typo, but I've noticed some people here say "Mandrake." For those who may not know, it's "Mandarake" (say "Mun-dah-rah-keh"). One problem w/ writing Japanese words in Romaji is that your brain does sometimes 'autocorrect' them into English words.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

thanks for the info Gok, I am unsure I been there before. perhaps I missed it.

I was in one of those buildings where they have like lockers below where people sell private stuff, then upstairs were like heaps of kits etc...

Megatran Guest

Thumbs down Online store

Tried buying TF toys on their online store on 3 different occasions in the space of 2 months with no success. The last being only yesterday. On every occasion I 'purchased' the items only to get an email the next day notifying me that they are really sorry the item is no longer available. They need to update their stock availability more regularly. Won't be using these guys again.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Tried buying TF toys on their online store on 3 different occasions in the space of 2 months with no success. The last being only yesterday. On every occasion I 'purchased' the items only to get an email the next day notifying me that they are really sorry the item is no longer available. They need to update their stock availability more regularly. Won't be using these guys again.
    Coincidentally, I've recently discovered their online store. Reading other people's experiences, which were mostly positive, I gave it a crack (bought a 2010 predaking). It is on it's way, so I'll post some final thoughts when it arrives, but this has been my experience so far.

The descriptions on the website are pretty much useless (everyone is pretty much box opened/damaged), and the photo's are usually 1 or 2 max.

However, I found contacting the store that has the stock is a worthwhile exercise, because they respond within 24 hours (my experience), even on weekends. I did so for shipping quotes (tempted by a few things on there), and got responses each time. Their english is limited (or brief), but I got the info I needed each time (so comprehension isn't an issue). So I'd recommend emailing them first if you haven't been doing that!

The only sour points for me during the process was 2 parts.

Firstly, they took 3+ days to invoice me after the sale. The cynical side of me thinks they were holding off in case they could sell it locally. They themselves say the invoice process takes 2 days. That thought certainly isn't helped by the poor experience I had when inquiring about photo's of the figures themselves (as all items seem to have opened boxes). They were really helpful with pictures of box damage (5 or 6 photos), but when it came to figures, I got a response implying that photos will not show the condition of the figures....

My first thought was, rightttttttt.... I agree to a certain extent (i.e. Joint tightness), but things like scratches, dints, QC issues etc can clearly be shown by photos. Sounded like just plain laziness.

I responded very politely disagreeing with that sentiment. After a impatient (borderline rude) response from them, photos came through, with the figures' covered by the blister packs!

At that point I was willing to give up, but reading other people's experiences, it seems like these guys take care in the toys they acquire for resale, so I took the plunge (it certainly helped that a reissue predaking sold for $150 excl shipping on ebay just last week, and my price + shipping was very reasonable imo). I won't condemn the store due to one employee (my correspondence with the Nakano store has been quite good).

Anyway, I'll post my thoughts on the figures condition when they come in (fingers crossed this week).

I'm planning to visit when I go to Japan this September. Is it very easy to find? I'm pretty sure the group is going to Akihabara, hopefully I can find it quickly, since I don't think we have much time around.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust