Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam?

Default Vietnam?

Hey! So I'm going to Vietnam (Saigon/HCM), and while my purpose isn't Transformers, given that some are produced there, is there anything of note I could go and see/look at/be aware of that might relate to this hobby we have?

If it's just same-old that's okay, just checking

Quote Originally Posted by Ploughmans Lunch View Post
    Hey! So I'm going to Vietnam (Saigon/HCM), and while my purpose isn't Transformers, given that some are produced there, is there anything of note I could go and see/look at/be aware of that might relate to this hobby we have?

If it's just same-old that's okay, just checking
    I haven't been, but if I recall the amount of product isn't that much. Something about being made there imposes some kind of limit, if I remember correctly.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

I had a look and found this for Vietnamese Hasbro Toy Factories.
    Might be worth taking a trip out and having a quick looksee

There isn't much to see. Most people don't even know Transformers are toys (unless they work in the factories). It's quite strange that the country makes the toys but the population don't really know what they are.

We went to Da Nang & Hoi An and my son had staff mesmerised asking him what his Transformers were (the Vietnamese people absolutely LOVE the movies so know the characters just not the toys). They were shocked when they realised the connection.

As for stores, I found one store in Da Nang that had a small non-transforming RID Optimus but there were literally no other Transformers to be found. The toy section of department stores are REALLY small and I am guessing they are luxury items. I never saw any "toy" stores anywhere unlike most of the rest of Asia.

Of course, this may be different in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh... we haven't been over that way yet.

Fair enough, thanks! I figured there wouldn't be much in the way of 'product' per se, all good tho!

I'm actually heading to Vietnam too this year. If you find out any info about possible TF toy stock over there in Saigon/HCM, do let me know

Quote Originally Posted by rhvi View Post
    I'm actually heading to Vietnam too this year. If you find out any info about possible TF toy stock over there in Saigon/HCM, do let me know
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    It's quite strange that the country makes the toys but the population don't really know what they are.
    Most cocoa farmers have never seen or tasted chocolate.
    CNN: Cocoa farmers taste chocolate for the first time

Ok, why would you go to Vietnam as a tourist? All I know about is there was a war there in the 60s that I played through in Battlefield Vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Ok, why would you go to Vietnam as a tourist? All I know about is there was a war there in the 60s that I played through in Battlefield Vietnam.
    You don't want to see exotic Viet Nam, the jewel of Southeast Asia? And meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tSfsOv_7dM