Thread: Paul Eiding (Perceptor) at OzComicCon BRIS & SYD

Default Paul Eiding (Perceptor) at OzComicCon BRIS & SYD

A surprise last-minute addition to the OzComicCon events that are on this weekend and next weekend - Paul Eiding, who voiced Perceptor in the original series cartoon and 1986 Movie.

The Brisbane show is on this weekend - September 23-24.
    The Sydney show is on the following weekend - September 30-October 1.

Basic entry tickets if bought online are $37.50 for a single day, and $50 for both days. But if you buy at the venue, it's $42.50 each day. (I'm not much into Australian conventions, but it sounds like a lot.)

There are presentations and displays over the two days, but it doesn't look like Paul is doing a presentation (or he wasn't signed up before the schedule was posted)... so might just be in the autograph area the whole weekend, or they might squeeze him in somewhere, and you'll need to look at the schedule when you get there.

The Brisbane online prices of the tokens to get an autograph or photo with Paul...
    Autograph - $30 Saturday, $40 Sunday.
    Photo - $40 Saturday, $30 Sunday.
    (I think those Sunday prices are mixed up, as everyone else has the same prices on both days... and Paul's Sydney prices are $30 for Autographs and $40 for photos, on both days)

Even though people are encouraged to dress up (cosplay) at these conventions, and some do a great job at it... a handful of them are charging big dollars (more than even the guests like Paul Eiding), for people to have a photo with them, when everyone else would do it for free if asked.
    And if they are really good cosplayers with almost accurate costumes, I would think that it would be a good idea for the convention to pay them to be there all weekend, walking around for the attendees to pose with for photos, for free.
    People would be willing to pay $40 for a photo with Paul Eiding, because he's famous (to people who are fans of his characters), but who would pay $60 to have a photo with a random guy in a costume?
    Just wondering... as I don't really do non-specific conventions (unless they have a major TFs guest), to know how normal this may be.

It's neat that they have him here but he'd be the only reason I'd go. And less for a signature and more to see him in a panel of some sort. Not having him listed in the timetable makes me very wary that he'll be even well organised for signatures/photos.

For that reason, I'm out.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Just wondering... as I don't really do non-specific conventions (unless they have a major TFs guest), to know how normal this may be.
    It's been a big thing in the US for a little while now, it's sad to see that it's becoming a thing here too.
    The whole idea of cosplay was you do it for love of the character, not monetary gain, but a lot of people have decided to exploit the fact that people like seeing cosplay and charge for it.
    Personally I dont think anyone should be paid for their cosplay unless they are promoting the convention, but that's an entirely different thing, that's an actual job.
    Just one of many reasons I dont go to conventions anymore, there's no love it's all about money and greed now, even among the supposed "fans".

And yeah, $40 is way too much money to pay to get into what is essentially a shopping center or "in real life" ebay

If they are taking money for photos wouldn't they have to pay the convention to do that?

Paul was at a con in Mackay a few years ago, those who met him said he was great, admittedly with a smaller crowd he could spend more time with fans.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire in the sky View Post
    If they are taking money for photos wouldn't they have to pay the convention to do that?

Paul was at a con in Mackay a few years ago, those who met him said he was great, admittedly with a smaller crowd he could spend more time with fans.
    Yeah, was a gentleman at the Sugar City Con. I bought a couple of his photos/Perceptor images for autographs, and some t-shirts but then he also posed for photos and signed my Hasbro Blaster/Perceptor reissue set for free!