Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Australian Transformers Convention

I've wanted an Australian transformers convention since I learned about botcon way back in 2000, but I honestly believe a convention or even a booth at one of the existing pop culture expos wouldn't work. For reasons already listen like price attendance ect a convention wouldn't work. As for expos there is to much competition between franchises and while transformers may be near and dear to our hearts I know that at the conventions a lot of people just walk past the transformers merchandise without giving it a second look. I've seen booths with almost the same stock they started out with on Saturday morning still there Sunday afternoon. For me this suggest that there just isn't enough general interest for a booth or convention.

However what does work is our fan meets. Whether its the parra fair meet that the Sydney guys are always posting there photos of, the Perth meets after their parra fair equivalent that name escapes me or the Melbourne Christmas meet. These things work people come because for the most part the meets are free.

Now what I think should be done is take the concept of a fan meet and build on it. Nothing over the top huge just hire a hall like cat suggested a few pages ago and make it all about the fans. The toys, comics, cartoons and movies. Take everything about the brand we love and fill a hall with it. Make it a day by the fans for the fans don't worry about asking hasbro for help or getting their permission because I really doubt we would get either.

We could have tvs playing the cartoon, toys on display various comics from every publisher that has worked on the brand available to read. That covers the basic selling points of the brand and would entertain us the fans.

We could do the transforming competition that's run at the Melbourne Xmas meet up every year as well as do a trivia competition and have door prizes. I'm sure other people can come up with games.

As for getting other people there we would have to advertise. Tv is probably out of the question it costs to much and as for newspapers well it might be a bit pricey to it would have to be checked out. I think the way to go would be online and fliers. Obviously we would start threads on the variouse transformers message boards and all other pop culture, gaming, film boards that people belong to. Also a Facebook page would get a bit of attention and isn't that how people find out about most things now. Fliers could be handed out at the various existing conventions and at the comic shops, pop culture shops and game stores. I think this would be the cheapest and most effective way of advertising. I'm pretty sure office works will print 3000 at around $120.

At the meet I think we would need to have about two tvs playing the cartoons. G1, beast wars, animated, prime and select episodes from rid and the unicron trilogy. And two tvs with war for cybertron and fall of cybertron (if it's released by then) available to play.

As for comics a selection of the original marvel run, dreamwaves war within and g1 stories. And idw current books and spotlights. I think that would be a good selection of what has come before and what's currently on offer.

As for toy displays I think just the characters that appear in the cartoons should be displayed. I wouldn't display all of beast wars when only 30 toys appear in the cartoon. Basically Anything that can be seen in the cartoon should be on display because they are the toys most newcomers to the brand will want to see.

I'd say that we could play all four movies at random times during the day but I don't know how legal it is.

I also think that there should be toys available for people to transform and have a play with, its one thing to look but its way more fun to transform and fiddle around with them.

So when people see and play transformers they are going to want to buy them so then were going to need to have dealers at this meet up so people can. There are people we can contact to see if they are interested in setting up a table there. for example ebay seller gus guns is from altona and he might be interested in selling there. Go figure collectable is starting to stock and sell more transformers they also might be interested. I could talk to the guys at my local comic shop and see if their boss might be interested in selling some of his transformer merchandise there. Also there is us we could set up a communal table and sell our doubles and unwanted figures.

As far as location goes the city is central but expensive and we wouldn't want people to have to travel to far beyond the city so basically anything that is a short tram ride outside the city for example brunswick should be fine as far as travel goes and hopefully cost.

To help raise awareness we could do surveys at existing conventions asking questions about what people would want in a transformers convention, how far they would be willing to travel, pay and what they would want in a future convention etc. this information could be used in planning any future conventions but we would also collect email addresses and when a date and venue is set for this we can email these people to help get word around.

We would need food and drinks as well. The boxes of cans are cheap and could be sold for $1 and it would help recoup costs. As for food I'd need suggestion on it.

The cost will be the biggest problem and as much as I'd like to front all the money for this I simply can't afford to. But I think if we as a community could raise the money for it. I'd like it to be held in Melbourne so I'd be hoping that the Melbourne members who like the idea would get behind this idea financially and just important by attending. Alot of work would have to be put in to get a final cost but I think it could be done for under $2500. That would cover the cost of hiring a hall, chairs, tables, food, drinks, advertising etc

I think it would be best to keep admission free but if the cost blows out we could ask for dollar coin donations but we'll wait and see.

Its all over the place but that's my suggestion on what it should be. I'm sure I forgot to include something but it was late last night and early today so that's my excuse. But the main point I wanted to get across and I see that I didn't now that I've quickly read over it again is that this is done by us for us and if we only get one extra person to come then it doesn't matter because the day is about what we love and it would still be fun
    Last edited by swoop; 21st February 2012 at 05:29 AM.

Swoop's idea of making it 'for the fans by the fans' as a focal point and expanding from there is great. A lot of his ideas can be implemented and adjusted according to scope.

Advertising can be easy enough such as advertising on the MX paper which almost every commuter coming from the city picks up. We could set up big screens showing people playing WFC as well as showing episodes and random fan made videos from Youtube (as long as they are 'public' friendly). It would be easy to get the computers and screens too since we can use our own which we can bring.

It is certainly workable and implementable but we do need a collective will to do it and that hasn't been our strong point.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    It is certainly workable and implementable but we do need a collective will to do it and that hasn't been our strong point.
    ^This.

I was able to run around and convention organising back when I was a single guy with no kids - but things have changed and I can't do that sort of thing anymore. So while I would gladly attend such events and possibly assist where I can, I'm personally not in a position where I can go about organising/implementing such things. But yeah, we need someone to put their hand up and say they want to do this, otherwise all the best ideas in the world are just gonna gather dust.

Did anything ever come of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
    Did anything ever come of this?
    Unfortunately not.

Though I'm not against the idea of having one member go around to every state to visit each OTCA branch like a marathon.

*looks at griffin*

A travelling road show would be an idea, as Supanova does something similar to utilise foreign guests (having shows a week apart in different states).

It'd have to be something spectacular though, as I've done 3 of 6 planned cities for 2013 so far, and all I got is three people respond to my meet proposals... and that's with the incentive of bringing any of my toys to try out.

Years ago - Griffin did set up an exhibition at Wharf 8(?) or was it 6? not sure anyway it was in the city (Sydney).
    I was the very first fella on the door and I wasn't a member of OTCA then. I became a member afterwards.

Iwouldnt have known of it had I not been scouring ebay and chanced to see and read the promotion griffin had attached on the literature of an item he had for bid (Resissue Astrotrain). Not much promotion of the event I believe.

It had all what Swoop said - an area for the sellers - though it was only Rokdog and Skyshadow actually hehehe - I got a lot of TFs from SS there ;P.
    there was anarea where a trivia game was being hosted by dirge. A gamers area next to the sellers and another area where TF cartoons was being shown.

More importantly they had a display area - 10 tables, I believe of TF toys - griffin's - shipped from Brisbane for the exhibition. ;D Plus stuff from other local members to fill in the gaps.

That's me in white on the side standing over there hehehe

That was the first and last toy convention purely for TFs here that Ive attended. Unfortunately unless someone does exert that kind of an effort and has the time, money and has no other priority, an Australian Botcon wont be happening soon.

Griffin's toycon seems a good idea but I dunno how much did he lose on this. I would imagine setting something up like that costed him quite a lot. He already has a lot of costs to burden him so I for one don't wanna add more...
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

I don't want to get in trouble as trying to pimp things out, because I just want to shine a little attention on it, but I'm currently in the process of organising a pop-culture convention for May next year next year called Ratime (Ballarat + Anime). You can check out the website here, or the Facebook page here, it's still planning and what not at the moment; But I want a big Transformers presence (due to them being in pretty much every single facet of pop-culture) and I'm sure the more fans we have the more selfishly I can make it bigger.:P

That is one awesome collection, I would've been there if I'd known about it..

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
    That is one awesome collection, I would've been there if I'd known about it..
    Yea it was not too well advertised. I can't even remember how i found out about it, possibly searching the net for transformers and stumbled on it. Wasn't until a while later that i joined Ozformers lol. I went to this with a few friends and remember her telling her kids not to touch the toys lol