Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Rogue One

maybe don't look at it from vader's view, but from krennic? he is desperate for this thing to work, he thinks it is his ride to advancement and he wants the emperors approval. instead of the emperor he is stuck with trying to impress tarkin and then gets summoned to see vader. so it could be as much about showing krennic never being able to get an audience with the emperor or that he has to keep going little bits of the way before he will be allowed the priveledge to see him?

Finally got around to seeing it yesterday as it was no longer playing at my nearest theatre, so I had to go to the nearest 16 cineplex... and it only had one session on each day so it was probably in its last week.
    I guess being out for 2 months is a long time for movies now, with the distributors trying to break opening records and get everyone to see it in the first week. I just thought that a Star Wars movie would be out longer than this.
    Now I can read this topic to see what others thought.
    I think the movie fits in between Ep 3 and 4 well, leading straight into Ep 4... making me want to go watch it. But it is ultimately a sad movie.... and I guess it should have been obvious while watching it that all these new major characters had to die before the end of the movie, or else, where were they in Eps 4 to 6. That would make it harder to generate too many fans of those characters or sell as many toys.
    I would have liked more involvement by pre-existing characters, but understand why it was difficult or impossible.
    It was a little too slow for me during much of the first half, but it was the first time we got a good look at how vast and powerful the Empire really was. (We didn't really see any Imperial strongholds or occupied worlds in Eps 4 to 6 other than the two Death Stars and Tatooine).

Truth be told I didn't think everyone had to die at the end just to avoid any future conflict with Ep 4, 5 and 6. It's a big galaxy and they could've given any reason why all or part of Rogue One weren't around for the subsequent movies (ie captured, recuperating, doing another mission, etc.) But it makes for dramatic viewing and all that so on we go.

I hope Ezra and Kanan gets a good reason to explain why they weren't somewhere in the background with Hera.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post

I think the movie fits in between Ep 3 and 4 well, leading straight into Ep 4... making me want to go watch it. But it is ultimately a sad movie.... and I guess it should have been obvious while watching it that all these new major characters had to die before the end of the movie, or else, where were they in Eps 4 to 6. That would make it harder to generate too many fans of those characters or sell as many toys.
    I would have liked more involvement by pre-existing characters, but understand why it was difficult or impossible.
    It was a little too slow for me during much of the first half, but it was the first time we got a good look at how vast and powerful the Empire really was. (We didn't really see any Imperial strongholds or occupied worlds in Eps 4 to 6 other than the two Death Stars and Tatooine).
    i think you might be the only person complaining it was too slow in the first half! i think the consensus among critics was that it jumped around way too much. it is the first 'spin-off' star wars movie so having more pre-existing characters imo would have made it worse. i really liked the new characters and their journey, i think it would have detracted from it having too many of the old ones in there as they aren't the focus.

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    I hope Ezra and Kanan gets a good reason to explain why they weren't somewhere in the background with Hera.
    they were sitting in the ghost ready for battle? you see the ship 3 times or something as well as hearing general syndulla called over the P/A and chopper rolling past too.

Megatran Guest

Things that didn't make sense (to me):
    + Star Destroyer colliding in to another whilst in battle formation.
    + Jyn Erso fitting into an Imperial Ground Crew's uniform. Did it belong to Gary Coleman.
    + Jyn Erso in an Imperial Ground Crew's uniform with the face visor up.

I think one important thing about Rogue One's sacrifice was that it inspired the rest of the Rebel Alliance to unite and finally become a force to be reckoned with. Rogue One showed us that the Rebels were divided; you had Mon Mothma and Saw Gerrera's rebels both fighting a common enemy and each other, which happens in real life. One historic example of this is the Battle of Thermopylae where a group of 300 Spartans, reinforced by 7000 other Greeks, made a noble stand against 300,000 Persians. The battle was a crushing defeat for the Greeks, with all 300 Spartans killed and about half of the non-Spartan Greeks surviving and retreating (which wasn't an option for the Spartans as they'd rather die in battle than return in defeat). At least Rogue One managed to steal the Death Star plans! But in both cases, their sacrifice proved to be a significant morale boost which helped to unify their respective factions.

Megatran Guest

No Bothans were sacrificed.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing that as another spin-off movie. But would audiences mind if the main protagonists were aliens? Alien diversity in Hollywood FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    they were sitting in the ghost ready for battle? you see the ship 3 times or something as well as hearing general syndulla called over the P/A and chopper rolling past too.
    I saw Chopper and heard General Syndulla called out, but missed seeing the ship. Just googled it! Though that still doesn't confirm if Ezra and Kanan are around.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing that as another spin-off movie. But would audiences mind if the main protagonists were aliens? Alien diversity in Hollywood FTW!
    I expect that spinoff to make the Omaha Beach landing in Saving Private Ryan seem like a cakewalk.

Also, Mon Mothma must be present to witness the entire unmitigated experience.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!