Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mp 05 megatron reissue

The first one i bought from ebay and that was detained by customs for 3 months or so.

The 2nd one I got during the whole last run of the original masterpiece prime mould came to my place with no hassle from customs. I got the 2nd one due to fear of rust, but till today mine hasn't rusted yet.

Megatran Guest

That's a lot of work to legally acquire an MP-5 in VIC, and no guarantees either! I guess the red tape is there for Checks & Balances, but it also deters people from trying through legit channels.

Has anyone in VIC been successful in recent times (post 2011)? I'm interested to know. I don't have a firearms licence and have no desire to handle real guns. I just want Megs on display in bot mode.

Firearms laws are state-based, and Customs is a Federal Body, that's why they can still confiscate the toy. But once they've done that they'll contact you, in which case you reply to them and let them know that either:
    a) You live in a state where the toy is not outlawed or prohibited; or
    b) You live in a state where the toy is prohibited, but you have a current valid permit/licence to own it and provide evidence
    You will then need to go and pick up the toy from Customs.

Yes, it's a hassle, but it sure beats not having a permit which gives you NO legal grounds to claim the toy and Customs will incinerate it. I have heard of cases where people who had no permit had their toys seized and destroyed, but I've never heard of a case where someone had the legal right to possess the toy still be denied its return. Worst case I've heard would be like yoshi594's where you end up waiting ages to get the toy back, but at least you get the toy in the end (though I can easily imagine that the wait would be excruciating). <knock.on.wood>

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

what a waste, resell it on ebay. lol

Ironically I know of two shops in melbourne that have MP-05 for sale. You can technically go in and buy it outright, bypassing all paperwork needed to own it. However you should probably keep quiet about your ownership.

Shop 22 in paramatta centre on bourke st, and the hobby shop under train station in Ivanhoe.

Ditto, and my advise? Leave it in robot form.

Megatran Guest

Thanks for the heads up on local hobby stores. Any idea on price? Is it highly marked up? Might pay a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on local hobby stores. Any idea on price? Is it highly marked up? Might pay a visit.
    You should count yourself lucky if you can get one, I wouldn't be too concern about the price part.

Good luck getting hold of one whichever way you decide to go It will certainly be a great addition to your collection if/when you do get hold of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Well shop 22 on bourke st has a constant 20% off sale. It's marked at $350 so with 20% would make it $280. The one at ivanhoe I believe is flat $300. You can also try haggling for a fairer price.