Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening sealed transformers

Question Opening sealed transformers

Hi I just bought a armful of DOM transformers metech dexule figures at the reject shop for $12 a pop..

The big question is... Should I open the packaging and get the figurines out for display and to do some transforming practice

OR

Should I be practical and boring to leave them in their packaging to look at or to give in temptation ??

Would it decrease the value if I open the DOM packaging and get the figurines out?

I truly do prefer the old times of G1 transformers where I can take a figure out of its box and play with then put back inside box, store away.

Any useful tips or advice would be good

Well, they don't look to be very valuable or show signs of becoming valuable, so I'd open 'em up and play around.

Lol I still have not made up my mind... I DO collect Star Wars action figure and they are all packaged and unopened..
    For transformers I was thinking they should all be open because my old G1 collection is open and no longer have boxes so I decided to wait a while and listen to others opinion/experience firsthand

Open and play. That's what toys are for. If you want to invest your money, go buy blue chips or real estate.

With carded toys I recommend using a sharp blade like a box cutter (or as I like to call it "CUTTAH BEEEAAAM!") and cut around the base of the blister, thus separating it from the backing card without tearing it. I can show you how to do it tomorrow if you're coming to the Parra Meet.

Depends if you're looking to make an investment or not. The value of any figure will decrease once it's opened but personally I don't see the point of buying a figure if you're not going to take it out of the pack and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Open and play. That's what toys are for. If you want to invest your money, go buy blue chips or real estate.

With carded toys I recommend using a sharp blade like a box cutter (or as I like to call it "CUTTAH BEEEAAAM!") and cut around the base of the blister, thus separating it from the backing card without tearing it. I can show you how to do it tomorrow if you're coming to the Parra Meet.
    This has to be the best answer I have heard so far..

I bet you had lots of experience with slicing up packages like a pro surgeon

Do you keep the backing card and toss out the plastic packaging pieces?

if you prefer to keep them sealed for aesthetic or display purposes then do so, as opening any toy will decrease it's value. There are collectors here that only collect MISB/MOSC, again that's just a preference.
    If you do open them keep the backing cards in a box etc and get yourself an expandable file for the instructions. Look at it this way: For the $12 that you've paid each for them, i say open them up and display/play. Do you keep DVD's that you've payed $12 for sealed and not watch them?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    if you prefer to keep them sealed for aesthetic or display purposes then do so, as opening any toy will decrease it's value. There are collectors here that only collect MISB/MOSC, again that's just a preference.
    Look at it this way: For the $12 that you've paid each for them, i say open them up and display/play. Do you keep DVD's that you've payed $12 sealed and not watch them?
    Yes I agree.. .. Ok I will open them.. Make sense... I have been trying to fix up my Ultimate DOM OP level 3 Figure back in its box.. It was a disaster

When I get two of the same mold (TFPrime: Breakdown and Fallback for instance) open one to play with and keep the other in the pack. Otherwise if it's a mold I haven't played with before I open them and have at it!

Also depends on how big your collection is, if you've got over 1000 it's damn hard to find the space to display them MOSC/MISB

IMHO you can't put a price on the amount of pleasure you get from playing with a toy.
    I opened all my G1 toys, which has decreased their value. But I also got decades of pleasure of playing with them.

"You got a friend in me"♭ #toystory

Quote Originally Posted by Danzvader78 View Post
    Do you keep the backing card and toss out the plastic packaging pieces?
    Yup! Now HasTak are putting those recycling triangle symbols with the numbers on them. I noticed that my TF Go! Optimus Prime's window has that symbol on it, so my local waste management centre ought to be able to recycle that easily enough should I choose to discard that box.