Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transformer Fan First, Or Robot Fan First?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    But Transformers is far and large my favourite robot series, as it's one of the few franchises with mostly robot characters with human sidekicks rather than the reverse.
    This is one of the frustrating things about the live action movies. All too often the Autobots are merely accessories for the human protagonists, and the Decepticons. They have about as much personality depth as the dinosaurs in Jurassic World.

When people ask me why I prefer Transformers over mecha anime franchises like Gundam, my response is that I like how the Transformers are a race of living and intelligent robots. They're not vehicles that need to be piloted by young emos.

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    ... vehicles that need to be piloted by young emos.
    Which is why I couldn't get into Neon Genesis Evangeleon. Too depressing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    Which is why I couldn't get into Neon Genesis Evangeleon. Too depressing for me.
    when you are young with hormones flowing and still using the reptilian part of the brain (science and actual pattern of human brain development that actually in parrts mimics evolution- very interesting scientific fact)

you are bound to be "emo" I think these shows feed into those emotions that teens feed on.

Transformers are more of the better series (the G1 and G2) in my taste because they don't need to cater to susceptible feelings or beiber like fever lolol. Like the way michael bay uses "exxxxplosions" and Bug-formers.

who knew robots would look like the appendages from mirelurks in fallout 4? XD lolololol

Smint is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I was a G1 fan more than a robot fan. As i explored the hobby more i find myself buying robots based on the engineering and design.

The holy grail for me is always a robot with a combination of good looks, cartoon accuracy, engineering and articulation. Often one or more of these elements needs to be sacrificed for the other but some of the recent MP figures are just brilliant.

What set apart Transformers for me from my other loves as a kid (MOTU, TMNT, Knight Rider) was the fact that they transform. I also loved Voltron (five lions merging to form Voltron). Of course, the great characters also won me over but the whole idea of a car transforming into a robot was what first got me hooked.

As an adult, Transformers is still number one but I also appreciate other robot stuff like Pacific Rim, Terminator etc.

Good question. I guess I was a fan of Astroboy and maybe Voltron before Transformers came out but was swept away by the TFs. I do love robots and robot movies but I'd have to say I'm a TF fan first.

I blame my parents for my Transformer addiction . As a 2 year old they controlled the TV and put this new show on called Transformers and from there I was a Transformers fan first. As a 2 year old I didnt know what a robot was but because of Transformers I enjoyed other robot shows, Go-Bots for example...

Default my story

my story is a different one.

I grew up in Beijing, China. Transformers hit the TV in 1986 while I was 8 years old. Chinese just turned their view on western world from evil capitalism hell to another extreme: wealthy heaven.

And suddenly, TV stopped broadcasting old yellow film Russia/Czech/East Germany cartoons anymore and Transformers showed up. The shock was toooo big to me.

And another shock, the cost of the toy, Optimus Prime cost 200 RMB while my parents' monthly salary was around 50 RMB (most of the grocery back that day were priced in cents). When me and my classmates talked about the price, no one believe anything (not a toy) could price that high in this world.

There was one class (not joking at all), when teacher said something like "today China is open to the western world but our goal is still a communism state (peole are laughing this kind of thing today now)", then many kids raised their hand and asked, "so the government will give everyone an Optimus Prime?"

When I was about to participate a math contest, my father said if we can get a price, he can buy a transformer to me. So I asked, "can I get soundwave", withouth know what is soundwave and how much it is, my father promised. I didn win the test, highest score of 1st price award, I was entitled to pick any middle school I want in my area without going through any further exams. However after know that soundwave cost 80 RMB, my father told me we really really couldn't afford it.

Transformers became a never-fullfiled wish or maybe pain in the heart in my childhood that I never fell in love with any other toys that cannot transform. I started hating all my toys that cannot transform. TV changed its program from Transformers to others, Gundam, many others i can't remember, but Transformers become the only thing in my head. I once told my wife, I wouldn't buy any toys unless 1) it can transform; 2) it has autobot/decepticon symbol on it.

While growing up, my attention natually move to girls, girls, girls, until 2007 the transformer movie brought me back, when I was already in Australia. I went to the supermarket with my salary money, I was so excited that I can afford now. However, my first toy was bought in 2009. Because in two years, I desperately look for G1 packaging. I missed classic OP for 25 AUD, coz I didn't know what the heck was it?

Today I have girls (my wife and my daughter) and transformers. I bought Victorion box set that I would like give it to my girl when she grew up a little bit. I have my son too, but he is only after cars. He won't touch the figure if I transformer them into robot. So I am not planning to give him my collection yet until he understands this trick.

Megatron Guest

That's a really interesting story, langzixinxin. Thanks for sharing it with us.

That is the most extreme example of international price variation of toys I've ever heard!! I know transformers were a lot more expensive in the 80's than they are now, per average income but worth 2 weeks pay is insane.

I love the classroom response, 'will the government give us all an Optimus Prime' perfect question for the teacher.

For me I was a transformers fan from the moment I saw the show on TV when I was a kid. I got my first two toys, Skids and Thundercracker for Christmas presents pretty early on. I would say I'm a Transformers fan first, I love the 'Robots in Disguise' concept and have enjoyed and still do enjoy many of the incarnations that has taken over the years.

I'm very much a Sci Fi fan, but even in shows like Star trek, I'm much more interested in collecting representations of the Starships than the characters. I liked other shows of the 80's, Voltron, Mask, Bravestarr, He-Man, Machine Men. But barring my late high school and uni years when Transformers was off my radar (I walked away around the time of beast wars and didn't come back till the Alternators/Binaltech line, not to mention that I didn't really have the money to collect while studying.) I've always come back to Transformers as a primary interest.

These days a lot of the interest is in the engineering, but I am still drawn to the media supporting it all.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)