Thread: Finally! A glimmer of hope for BG&E 2

Default Finally! A glimmer of hope for BG&E 2

The creator of Beyond Good & Evil has announced that they are working on a sequel but its yet to be green lighted by Ubisoft.

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6190987....stnews;title;2

In an era of very mediocre formulaic games, BG&E was a much needed breath of fresh air with its Zelda inspired gameplay and unique but epic story that made the player feel as part of the world and wanted to continue playing to see the story unfold. Sadly because Ubisoft did not push the marketing on it, it went under the radar of most gamers and became a commercial failure despite its awesome gameplay and story.

This game along with Psychonauts became poster children of what was wrong with the gaming Industry and gamers alike as it showed that both were rejecting innovation and only accepted established franchises and standardized gameplay styles which have remained unchanged for about a decade, only graphic and sound progressed while gameplay and substance became stagnant and formulaic. In a way this is not too dissimilar with Hollywood movies today.

Very recently the gaming industry has very slowly begun to rise from this long streak of mediocrity with some nice and innovative releases but its still recovering from its decade long 'dark age'. I hope that it will not be long till we get fantastic awe inspiring games like before which people continue to speak of years after it was released like Tie Fighter, Starcraft, Deus Ex, etc.

Hopefully Ubisoft will realize the potential of BG&E and green light as it is currently seen as a 'classic' game by the majority of gamers who have slowly learned of it through word of mouth.

For those who don't know what I am talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_...l_(video_game)
    Last edited by kup; 16th May 2008 at 01:50 PM.

I have heard that the first one was a very good game. I'll go find a copy of the first one when I have more free time in July.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I have heard that the first one was a very good game. I'll go find a copy of the first one when I have more free time in July.
    I have seen it sold as a budget game release at EB and Games wizards for just $9.95