Page 42 of 71 FirstFirst ... 223237383940414243444546475262 ... LastLast

Thread: The Food Thread - comments and recommendations

Megatran Guest

I have to stop reading this thread ... but can't. I've got a one and half weeks to lose 5kg to reach my goal weight. And there's Christmas in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    I have to stop reading this thread ... but can't. I've got a one and half weeks to lose 5kg to reach my goal weight. And there's Christmas in between.
    RUN BOY!! Run like you've never ran before!!!!!!

There is a fitness thread buried in the OT section somewhere...
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

In honour of the start of the repeats of Man Vs Food on Channel 73 tonight (showcasing super-sized foods), this was a super-sized burger chain I found in Toowoomba over Christmas that I wanted to mention.
    It's unfortunate that they are still just based in Toowoomba (three stores, but all locally sourced meats and veges), but as much as I'd like to see them in places like Brisbane, I think I'd dread it, as they are VERY delicious.

The franchise is called Phatburgers, and they make burgers in three sizes... a regular "ladies" size, a large "man" size, and the one-off "Burghoffer" - a $22 burger, weighing in at almost a Kilo (mine was 812 grams), which is 2-3 times the size of a Whopper (or about four times the size of a Big Mac).

I was in Toowoomba from the 24th to 26th of December, and I didn't know about this franchise until I got there and saw the CBD store near the hotel I was staying at. Unfortunately, it was already closed for the long weekend, and had signage saying that said it wouldn't be open before I left... but did say that the Northern store was open on the 26th, so I decided to stop there on my way out of the city.

I grabbed a menu from that holder next to the door of the CBD store in the photo above, and I was just salivating at all the delicious and creative options (website here for the menu).
    It was a long two days waiting for that chance...

So on the morning of the 26th, I leave the hotel and head for the Northern store. I knew that I wanted to see what the $22 burger was like, but I had to restrain myself on what else to buy. As much as I wanted to sample everything because it might be a while until I have another chance, I didn't want to be bringing home bags of burgers that would have to sit in the fridge for a few days until they are eaten (which wouldn't be as nice and fresh).
    I couldn't decide on which two to buy with the big burger, so told the person in the store to make two of the more popular ones.

I ended up with these three...
    - The Burghoffer ($22), a quarter kilo of garlic seasoned beef, grilled onions, tomato, lettuce, beetroot relish, lemon mayo, horseradish and BBQ sauce.
    - Morning Glory ($14), 120gm of beef, bacon, egg, tomato, grilled onion, lettuce, BBQ sauce.
    - Redneck ($15), thyme seasoned beef, crunchy bacon bits, egg, pineapple, tomato, beetroot relish, lettuce, BBQ sauce and lemon mayo.

(the two smaller ones ended up being very similar, with bacon, lettuce, tomato, egg and BBQ sauce on both... so I can't even remember which was which)

The $22 burger was massive, but the regular ones were bigger than Whoppers.

This was the Redneck burger.

This was the Morning Glory burger.

And the Burghoffer.

The plan was to take all three back home with me as I didn't want to be driving too full... and I wanted to weigh the Burghoffer, so I took those photos at the store, and decided to just take a bite of the two smaller ones to see what they were like fresh then pack them back up.
    Unfortunately, I tried one of the smaller burgers first (can't remember which one), and it was just SO delicious, I couldn't stop. I sat there and ate the whole thing.
    It was almost midday and I didn't have any breakfast yet, but I wasn't planning to eat as much yet.

I took the other two home and had the larger one mid-afternoon, and the remaining smaller one in the evening. (each with a bit of microwave reheating)

Despite a bit of fridge cooling and reheating, they were both just as delicious as if they were fresh.

So if anyone is visiting Toowoomba, they are very recommended. And if the franchise ends up venturing out of that city, I think they will be very popular.
    (and if anyone is coming to Brisbane from Toowoomba... I'd be very keen to place an order if you are willing and able - I know they'd be a couple hours old, but they are THAT good. )

Wow do they look super tastey. I can feel my mouth salivating

Megatran Guest

Phat burgers. Ewwwww.

My local Chinese restaurant is closed for renovations until early Feb. No prawn toast for about 3 weeks
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

For anyone who has a partner or kids that don't like pork, I highly recommend the following recipe for Pickled Pork with Cabbage and Mustard Sauce. My toddler barely tolerates prok and my wife doesn't like it at all and they both gobbled this down! Do the sauce as well as it's really nice and well worth the extra effort

http://www.aww.com.au/food/recipes/2...mustard-sauce/

And yeah, I know it's a Womens Weekly recipe but they way I figure it most women in the world are smarter and better cooks than I so I would be a fool not to follow their advice

CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

went to subway on sunday, and oporto's and well this happened

pretty much the best one ive ever had.

^ Yum!
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

That's a good idea....