Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345671222 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece Optimus Primal

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    Bloody G1 fans with your bricks and their square panels that fold away neatly. We Beast Wars fans accept that some compromises have to be made. The laws of physics apply to these toys, and so if portions of the robot-mode have to show in beast-mode despite the best efforts of the designers, then so be it.
    I am not a G1 fan by any stretch of the imagination. I like interesting and innovative Transformers toys, however, and it's starting to look like that's something the Masterpiece line is allergic to. I'll be sticking with my perfectly lovely 10th Anniversary Primal, thank you very much.
    Last edited by Zommael; 21st December 2015 at 05:11 PM.

Megatran Guest

And what's this one that fellow member Krayt purchased overseas a month ago?

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpo...3&postcount=88

EDIT: Found out this one has his bum behind his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    And what's this one that fellow member Krayt purchased overseas a month ago?

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpo...3&postcount=88

EDIT: Found out this one has his bum behind his head.
    For some reason Hasbro thought it smart to re-release a Beast Machines toy for the Anniversary of Beast Wars...

As Seibertron is pointing out, these are CG renders. I think this is the first time we have gotten a MP shown to us at this stage of development, he's probably still a long way off.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    As Seibertron is pointing out, these are CG renders. I think this is the first time we have gotten a MP shown to us at this stage of development, he's probably still a long way off.
    Well, tbh, if they don't want negative reactions to early CG renders, they shouldn't be advertising the product with early CG renders. I'm all for positivity but at the moment there's no evidence that this is any improvement over the existing toy. I WANT MY MP OPTIMUS PRIMAL WITH REAL GORILLA FUR, DAMMIT!!!!

yeah real fur that i can brush together with my daugther's barbie, bratz dolls , and little ponies

anyway tentative release is summer 2016 which may be around August

I also agree with others in thinking that this toy looks too similar to the original to make it feel worth getting. I also skipped the 10th anniversary version for the same reason.

And honestly, I think that this is a compliment to the original Beast Wars line, because it was such a well made line that toy engineering some 15~20 years later still hasn't sufficient surpassed it. BW was just that ahead of its time. As you all know, I personally don't find any of the Classicsverse BW figures to be better than their originals; I find them to be either inferior or on par, but I've yet to come across a modern version of a BW toy that I felt surpasses the original.

And as much as I love Beast Wars, this is why I prefer to see G1 characters being updated as Classicsverse and MP toys, because the "bricktastic" G1 toys need updating. Not so much for BW toys, because today's standards in toy design/engineering basically stems from BW anyway. But yeah, judging from what are admittedly still early conceptual pics, it doesn't look substantially different or better enough to convince me to pre-order it just yet.

Having said that, I hope that this toy does include:
    * Alternate face with the faceplate closed. More toy-accurate, and there a few moments in the cartoon when Primal used the faceplate.
    * Arm cannons that can deploy from both forearms without the hands flipping back (similar to RM Beast Convoy)
    * Prime Jets that can fold out from the back. Again, similar to RM but done better.
    * Swords with blue handles and silver/chrome blades.
    * Amazon/Hasbro Asia exclusive toy-accurate mutant face
    * Chest able to open and project his Matrix
    * Have the shoulder cannons flip out without having unsightly back panels hanging underneath (as on the original) or exposed grooves on the back (as on the RM toy). It will be interesting to see how they might achieve this

I think it'll be tricky for Primal to be made as weell as the G1 toys. If they go for a show accurate look for example, ther's not that much they can do without altering him too much IMO. The show used scanned toys for the general shape and design of the characters didn't it? That doesn't allow THAT much for proportion changing and whatnot that we saw heavily in the G1 cartoon.

Imagine if the G1 cartoon had used some time-travel scanning tech and used the original toys in it. Would we be so impressed with Masterpieces based solely off the look of the toy?

I am still very eager to see how this pans out. Although I wasn't a big fan of the BW toys until Transmetals got in on the action, I was a fan of the show (eventually).

XMan is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Really looking forward to this release! I hope we get a few other characters along the way.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

[QUOTE=XMan;503890]Really looking forward to this release! I hope we get a few other characters along the way.[/QU

Disagree here, as I think many is already skipping this.