Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece Optimus in Evangelion colours

Default Masterpiece Optimus in Evangelion colours

In one of this month's Japanese Hobby magazines, is artwork of the MP-10 Optimus in purple and green, and noted as being an Evangelion Store exclusive.
    No other details as yet, but the opposite page in the magazine features the TakaraTomy 30th Anniversary Projects, so should be something official coming this year... maybe as something like celebrity congratulations of someone's milestone. (perhaps have other "homage" redecos of other famous robotic lines for our 30th anniversary)

Does anyone here follow Evangelion?
    If this is some sort of actual story crossover, do you think it will work, or is it a bad idea to link the two continuums?

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I don't think this is real, Evangelion has no relation to any Transformers.
    From my perspective, I would rather take the yoth version.
    They will need licensing from gainex I think if they were to do that scheme. Then again, is just colour scheme and nothing to do with Evangelion.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    From my perspective, I would rather take the yoth version.
    They will need licensing from gainex I think if they were to do that scheme. Then again, is just colour scheme and nothing to do with Evangelion.
    The NEVA emblem is on the shoulders.... but since it is just artwork, and no release date or pricing that I can see in the writing at the bottom, I think it might just be fantasy artwork, like "what if".

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Not sure they be going with 02 Red and 00 blue colours as well. But is a weird combo.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    There doesn't need to be one and sometimes even the smallest of relations is sufficient.

You know what'd be really good? If a clothing company that sells Transformers apparel released an exclusive redeco or three of G1 Optimus Prime.

Who came up wih this idea????
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I'd buy that if the price is right. 2 of my favs coming together!

Prime would be pretty small next to an EVA unit or an Angel. A Macross crossover what would make more sense, and be oddly amusing: Prime to Rick: "your Veritech fighters look oddly familiar..."

its purple and green. that's all there is to say really. but the evangelion brand is really strong and has continued to be all these years so it wouldn't surprise me if they made one like the artwork. i would buy it.

Default Oh please God don't let Michael Bay direct the inevitable Western Eva movie...

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Does anyone here follow Evangelion?
    If this is some sort of actual story crossover, do you think it will work, or is it a bad idea to link the two continuums?
    Dunno about 'follow', exactly, but I'm quite the Eva fan. And of course it's everywhere here, especially with the remakes still ongoing.
    Anyway, 2 things as relate to MP-10E...

1: No, it wouldn't work well at all. The tone of the 2 series are entirely different, the Evas are way bigger than most TFs (gestalts as portrayed in their larger size would probably scale pretty well with the Evas, who also don't exactly have a consistent scale but are pretty big), and one of the main things that make the Evas and the Angels so hard to defeat by conventional means is that they have a special kind of force-field (A.T. Fields) that's supposed to be impenetrable by pretty much anything short of another A.T. Field or a nuclear weapon...and sometimes not even the latter.
    That said...

2: The picture and plans thereof are quite possibly authentic, because while not designed 'to sell toys' like TFs, the Eva franchise is a huge cash-cow and gets used to hawk pretty much anything possible. My local supermarket sells Eva razorblades for shaving and Eva condoms, I've eaten (terrible) Eva potato chips, there's Eva sneakers, overpriced mobiles designed to look just like the main characters' phones...basically if it looks like Gainax (the studio that owns Evangelion) can make a buck out of pretty much any Eva merchandise whatsoever they'll go for it.
    I'd say it's like the Hello Kitty of anime, except that truth be told it's not that unusual over here for pretty much any even slightly successful media phenomenon to be used to flog pretty much anything at all possible.
    So it doesn't really matter that the story wouldn't work, or that an Eva would tower over Optimus Prime, or that an Angel could just squash him while his ion blaster reflected harmlessly off its AT Field, or that Shinji Ikari - while annoying - is really not a good 'human sidekick' character for TFs, 'cos you know...money.
    So, in a way it'd be the perfect crossover...

Just to be clear, the above isn't a criticism of Eva or TFs or even the rampant consumerism that makes up so much of contemporary Japanese culture. I love this place, warts and all, and I hope to continue to be able to live here for many years to come, quite possibly for the rest of my life. It's just an honest take on the way Japan is.
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The NEVA emblem is on the shoulders.... but since it is just artwork, and no release date or pricing that I can see in the writing at the bottom, I think it might just be fantasy artwork, like "what if".
    NERV.
    From the German for, well, 'nerve'.