Thread: EOI - cleaning my collection

Default EOI - cleaning my collection

This is an odd request...

I got in some more shelves last month, and was re-organising the collection after several years of just adding new series in a rough chronological order... I found that about 10 years of dust has collected on a lot of my toys, and started cleaning some of it, but it is a very time-consuming process (especially while the toys are being moved around the rooms).

So, I was wondering if anyone (obviously in Brisbane) was at all interested in being paid to clean my toys?
    With about 4000 toys, taking up wall-space that would equal 2 or 3 average bedrooms, it would be a big project... which I estimate would probably take about 50 hours to clean and re-organise.

I want to have doors attached to the display cases eventually to keep out the dust (which is discolouring the whiter ones), but it would be very expensive to do... so haven't done it yet.

For now though, since I have to relocate most of the collection into new locations, I was wanting to do a proper clean in the process.

So if anyone is interested, how much would be a fair amount to be paid for this task? (includes free playing with most of the collection - the non-rare stuff)

What do you want me to clean Rodimus with? Scotchbrite or Brasso?

I would help, it would be like a mini meet before i move but i just don't see myself having the free time. Call me back anyway so if by miracle i am free we can work a time out.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

If I was in Brisbane I wouldn't mind volunteering a few hours or half day just to see 'the collection'.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I want to have doors attached to the display cases eventually to keep out the dust (which is discolouring the whiter ones), but it would be very expensive to do... so haven't done it yet.
    This is a bit tacky, but as a literal band-aid solution, a friend of mine has used glad wrap over his glass door-less display cases to keep dust out (stored in his bedroom so lots of dust build up). It definitely is tacky, but also effective...

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Demonac actually suggested the same thing, but was saying it as a joke because of how tacky it would look... but then we ended up talking about thick plastic sheeting like you have on the front of toy boxes (with a thin cardboard boarder around the edge with a Gen1 grid pattern to make each display case look like a giant toy box).

A plastic sheet still feels cheap and tacky, but the creative angle of it interests me, so I might do up one as a sample, to see how it looks (later).

My TF shelves don't seem to get any dust (I don't touch 'em much and
    they're in my bedroom), yet my lego shelf gets SO MUCH dust after 5 minutes of not touching.

There are thicker plastic sheets with magnets dotted on some edges to seal the sheet shut. You could probably screw a hinge and arm off the top of your cabinets so the sheets open like doors?

How good it works and how nice the result is you will have to research yourself, that's all i can think of as an alternative to glass.

Have you seen the types of ikea glass doors they have? You could have several short doors instead of full length doors too.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose