Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Ricochet/Stepper

Default Custom Ricochet/Stepper

WIP.

As the price of a Stepper repaint of RTS Jazz is way beyond my willingness to pay, I decided to make my own.

I'll post up WIP picks along the way, as some (like me!) seem to enjoy the process as much as the finished piece.

Firstly, I took him apart as much as I could, without removing pins, which I find to be more effort that it's worth. Each piece is cleaned before painting.

DSC_0261 by M-bot2011

Next is masking and painting the pieces that will be gold with a gloss black base coat (using Alclad II lacquers).

DSC_0270 by M-bot2011

DSC_0271 by M-bot2011

The pain about this model is that the black and whites on Jazz are reversed for Ricochet. No problems painting black over white, but white over black is a bit more difficult. Almost impossible to make it look really good without an airbrush in my opinion. I managed to get 3 ultra-thin coats of white in today, I estimate it will take about 8 coats to get the white looking perfect.

DSC_0275 by M-bot2011

More soon! Let me tell you, after doing a couple of titan-class toys, doing a deluxe is child's play.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Love your work M-Bot, I can't wait to see how this turns out.

gloss black and Alclad II lacquers this is going to be one shiny Stepper! looking forward to the process as much as the finished result
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    gloss black and Alclad II lacquers this is going to be one shiny Stepper! looking forward to the process as much as the finished result
    Not too shiny - it's just that the Alclad II metallics need a high gloss black base coat to really shine nicely. I'll probably be painting the black pieces a more semi-gloss so it doesn't shine too much. I want him blending with my other classics.

The gold (Alclad II Pale Gold) has gone down over the gloss black today. The results:
    DSC_0278 by M-bot2011

The face:
    DSC_0279 by M-bot2011

The grill, still masked:
    DSC_0280 by M-bot2011

Unmasked:
    DSC_0281 by M-bot2011

I really love the Alclads, they took a bit of getting used to, and they are not cheap, but the results are impeccable, when done well.

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms

Very nice. The gold looks really smooth.

Yeah that looks brilliant dude!

Your masking jobs are incredible! I don't know how you get the lines so clean!

Nice Grill!
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

After masking, painted some white pieces black...

DSC_0279 by M-bot2011

And here's the head all finished - had to touch up some of the gold first...

DSC_0281 by M-bot2011

good stuff man!
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Default Finished piece

All done! It's not flawless, rub points are always an issue, but even those small flaws here and there are equal to that on any HasTak release, so I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm a bit nervous to transform him though! Maybe when I get a bit braver, I'll do so and post some alt mode pics.

I used a Reprolabels set from a G1 Ricochet (which needed be trimmed down/adjusted to fit this mould). His Targetmaster partner Nightstick is from a RTS Cyclonus (my Cyclonus is in my '86 movie collection so he doesn't need the Targetmaster). I've also taken some pics with his mould-mate, Generations Jazz.

Untitled by M-bot2011

Untitled by M-bot2011

Untitled by M-bot2011

Untitled by M-bot2011

Untitled by M-bot2011

Untitled by M-bot2011

Untitled by M-bot2011