Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456789 ... LastLast

Thread: International Transformers retails and Australian GST. What retailers are doing.

I would advise using a reshipper that allows you to fill in your own customs declaration. Mine has an extra service to remove all price tags, sale invoices, and other sales information. but then you're not covered with insurance, so it's a risk
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I was curious what the situation with forwarding items from Amazon via Shopmate was and I contacted AusPost. They gave me the following answer:
    "GST will be payable on:
    - The value of the item(s) you are shipping into Australia via ShopMate including any shipping fees or local taxes paid to the USA retailer (i.e how much you paid to purchase and ship the item)
    -The value of the ShopMate shipping and service fee (including Extra Cover if applicable)

In basic terms, if the item is being delivered from outside Australia, anything you pay to purchase and ship the package will attract GST, as per the legislation."

What I don't get is why would we pay GST on the American domestic shipping to the Shopmate warehouse? An even more bitter pill to take is paying GST on second hand items!

Even if you have an item posted through five different countries before it gets here, all costs involved in getting that item purchased and sent to Australia, will have GST apply.
    Remember, the S in GST stands for "Services", and all services that you require and pay for to acquire an item, is GST taxable. So the more you spend on getting something here (like a shipping forwarder, or protective bubblewrap or even gift-wrapping), the more tax will be paid on the total (declared) cost of you obtaining that item.

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    I would advise using a reshipper that allows you to fill in your own customs declaration. Mine has an extra service to remove all price tags, sale invoices, and other sales information. but then you're not covered with insurance, so it's a risk
    You'll end up needing to provide proof of the original invoice if questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Even if you have an item posted through five different countries before it gets here, all costs involved in getting that item purchased and sent to Australia, will have GST apply.
    Remember, the S in GST stands for "Services", and all services that you require and pay for to acquire an item, is GST taxable. So the more you spend on getting something here (like a shipping forwarder, or protective bubblewrap or even gift-wrapping), the more tax will be paid on the total (declared) cost of you obtaining that item.
    Yes, it's ridiculous. Why does Australia have a right to charge for services provided overseas... crazy...

Anyone gotten any information out of other TF retailers as to if they will collect GST, cut us off or ignore the law?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    You'll end up needing to provide proof of the original invoice if questioned.
    In five years it's never been a problem. Particularly with high priced misb G1 (>1000) items that look a little banged up. They've been opened and inspected before... but it is still risky if your item were to go astray, because you can't claim insurance. So I always courier with tracking (and courier items seem to be inspected more often by customs)
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Amiami sent me an email

Dear Customer,

Thank you for shopping at our store.

This is a notification email for our Australian customers regarding the changes to the import procedures for Australia, starting on July 1st 2018.

According to the recent changes to the import procedures for your country, for any orders from our store that is invoiced after July 1st, you will be required to pay an additional GST tax of 10% of the total purchased value.

- Affected orders
    This applies for all orders with a total merchandise value below 1000 AUD.

*Any currency calculations related to the GST tax, will be calculated based on the current exchange rate according to the link below when the order is invoice.
    https://www.rba.gov.au/statistics/fr...nge-rates.html

- GST tax calculation
    GST tax = 10% of (total merchandise price + shipping cost)

*The GST tax will be written in your invoices starting from July 1st.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
    AmiAmi
    I managed to get most of what I want out of them anyway, now I need to hear from mandarake, anyone asked?

So if someone sends you something like a gift through the post will you have to pay gst?

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    Amiami sent me an email
    I managed to get most of what I want out of them anyway, now I need to hear from mandarake, anyone asked?
    I'm pretty upset about Amiami, I spend thousands there a year and have about 6 months of outstanding pre-orders. Going to have to find a store that's not buying into our government's crap sending more than $75,000 worth of goods to Australia every year.
    Honestly I'm surprised that so many stores have decided to abide. I mean, shipping in plain packaging without an invoice attached would have been far easier than sorting out their systems and filling an Australian tax return.

While the current system is crap, you can't blame retailers for abiding to current import laws. Keep in mind than most other countries already impose duty fees on top of GST/VAT, so not only you pay more, but your package is also delayed while customs deal with it.

As far as I'm concerned, even with the extra 10% tacked on, most of the prices are still way more competitive than the Australian equivalent. If you can't absorb a 10% difference between the preorder and the final invoice, buying in a foreign currency is probably not a good idea either...