Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 23456789101525 ... LastLast

Thread: Maz's Articles & Reviews

Maz is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Pitfalls

It is apparently a golden age for Transformers collectors. Takara Tomy and Hasbro are feeding the Masterpiece hunger with cartoon accurate characters that fans have wanted forever, and 3rd Party companies are trying to fill the gaps and expand on the direction the collector community wants their collecting to move towards with varying results. The meat and veg products from Hasbro and Takara, things like cartoon-based lines and Classics/Generations have popular comic series tie-ins and have produced some of the best moulds of the series recently, with exciting stuff on the horizon. Choice is at an all time high, but so are the pitfalls that can detract from the collecting experience.

Pitfalls | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Collector Interview 24 - Rein den Hengst

The Netherlands has always had a very rich culture of Transformers collectors, with some of the most well-known, long-time, knowledgeable fans and stunning collections originating from Holland. Rein "iDarkDesign" den Hengst has been a part of that Dutch TF scene from the earliest stages, and is now involved with the annual Dutch B.O.T.S. Transformers convention. Having seen pictures of his astonishing collection recently, and allied to the fact that I met him in person in 2012 after years of running across each other online for over a decade, it was high time to bring Rein's collection, wisdom and refreshing attitude towards the hobby to the attention of everyone else. So here he is to talk us through his Transformers history.

Collector Interview 24 – Rein den Hengst | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    The Netherlands has always had a very rich culture of Transformers collectors, with some of the most well-known, long-time, knowledgeable fans and stunning collections originating from Holland. Rein "iDarkDesign" den Hengst has been a part of that Dutch TF scene from the earliest stages, and is now involved with the annual Dutch B.O.T.S. Transformers convention. Having seen pictures of his astonishing collection recently, and allied to the fact that I met him in person in 2012 after years of running across each other online for over a decade, it was high time to bring Rein's collection, wisdom and refreshing attitude towards the hobby to the attention of everyone else. So here he is to talk us through his Transformers history.

Collector Interview 24 – Rein den Hengst | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ
    Awesome read, one of the best interviews for sure.

Default Blast From The Past

Over a decade ago, I gave my Robots in Disguise Car Brothers to a non-collecting friend as a gift, and they’d been sitting in his garage for all that time. Having just cleaned out that garage he dropped them off to me again, thinking I’d have more use for them now than when I gave up the hobby back then. The Car Robots Mach Alert, Speedbreaker and X-Brawn became Robots In Disguise Prowl, Sideburn and again, X-Brawn. Playing with those excellent toys again, something dawned on me. Car Robots is now almost as old as Generation 1 was when Car Robots first came out.

Blast From The Past | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default In the flesh

Too many Transformers, too much choice, too little money and definitely not enough space. Then we add the 3rd Party toys coming at us from all angles, and try to balance that against older toys we may be trying to buy (or not buy), and we all develop strategies for staying away from what may bankrupt us. For some the decision to pass on a particular type of product can be arbitrary, for others it’s because it won’t fit with their collection direction. Some may want it all, but can’t afford to give in. From behind a computer screen where gorgeous promotional images and enabling collector photography can only do so much damage, we are safe. However, seeing certain things in the flesh…

In The Flesh | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

^Stop making me want MP-10B!!! It's hard enough to resist as it is dammit!

Thanks for the read Maz
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    ^Stop making me want MP-10B!!! It's hard enough to resist as it is dammit!

Thanks for the read Maz
    Haha that's what I was saying all through that day where the toys in that article were brought out one by one and mass-enabling began. I really didn;t want to lust after any of that stuff.

and for today...

Have you ever had to justify your collection to a loved one? Have you perhaps occasionally had to assure your partner that your collection may be worth more than you paid in the future, and that in case of an emergency you would always be able to raise some immediate funds? We are extremely lucky in that we partake in a hobby that can one day give something back, even if it’s at a loss, we can sell the bulk of our collections for a significant amount of what we paid originally. Those who have been more careful or lucky with their buying can even end up years down the line with more money than they originally spent. Not all hobbies offer that kind of safety net.

Who Will Buy My Collection? | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Pass The Torch

A lifetime of appreciation for Transformers and the growing acceptance of hobbies such as toy collecting in society generally means that we can share our hobby with more people, and wear it more proudly, although some of us did that from day one regardless of others’ opinions anyway. When you get to the root of it, it’s the amount of wonder instilled in us by Transformers toys at tender ages that is responsible for our enthusiasm and appreciation of the concept today, even if our reason for being in the hobby has evolved since then. So if they meant so much to us as kids, what does that mean for our own children?

Pass The Torch | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default MP-12G - Just another black repaint?

That’s pretty beautiful isn’t it? The MP-12 Lambor/Sideswipe mould in black. Because everything looks good in black, Masterpiece Optimus Prime, Soundwave, Rodimus and now Sideswipe. I’ve now seen all of those black repaints in the flesh and my opinion is that they are beautiful, but whether they are worthy of the extra spend is a matter of how relevant the repaint is to the collector. Arguably, MP-12G Lambor G2 Version (G2 Sideswipe) has the most character to him, something that the execution of this toy taps into deeply. But, is it enough for this to just be as pretty as a black Lamborghini Countach was always going to be? Is there anything else there under the surface?

Just Another Black Repaint? | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Old Flames

You know when that bell rings? When you slip into an old pair of comfortable slippers? When you walk down the street of your old house? Things move fast in the Transformers universe and new product can come at such pace that we can become blinded to what’s already around or has gone before. Recently I’ve started something of a journey back into my own collecting past having recently caught up with what is current and immersing myself in the brand new. This journey back in time has not only unearthed previously undiscovered gems of past toy lines for me, but also brought me face to face with a few old flames.

Old Flames | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz