Thread: Off site storage

Default Off site storage

I'm currently considering the need for external storage.

For a practical reason: I want to do some home renovations (kitchen do over, new doors, air conn installation) and moving stuff to an external place would probably make me feel more comfortable having strangers coming in to measure, quote and install.

For a less practical reason: I feel like I have too much stuff.

There's definitely TFs I need to get rid off, but there's also video games, DVDs, blurays, and comics and collections, clothes etc. I've been inspired by the things like new Queer Eye and Marie Kondo's shows on netflix to try and get a better, calming space at home (coz I'm seriously stressed and often depressed).

I've got a bunch of stuff that's worth money, but I'm bad at selling stuff since I can only really do anything on weekends. I'm a little torn between getting rid of stuff anyway I can, or putting it in storage. But the idea of paying to keep things elsewhere feels like I'd be better off selling/giving away from a net financial outcome.

If I haven't read a book or played a game in 10 years is there much point putting it somehwere to just sit there continuing to be unused? Doesn't make much sense when I think logically about it.

I know a couple of people here have put stuff into external storage for various reasons. I wonder if anyone else has done if for these reasons?

And any pros/cons people have had with this that they could share might help me make up my mind.

By putting it into storage, aren't you really just moving your issue of excess possessions from Point A to Point B?
    You're only going to end up with the same issue, except that now you'll be paying for it to be out of mind? Doesn't make sense to me either, unless you're willing to pay the $$$ and swing by your storage unit to swap your displays over once every month

As for your concerns re renovations and strangers, are you in a position to be able to call in a favour from a relative or friend and utilize their garage space or extra bedroom for a few weeks for a nominal sum?

Ultimately, what is it you want to accomplish? Free of excess toys dvd's and comics? Swindle's Salesyard? Collectors Fairs? Perhaps call some friends over to help you out with a garage sale? you know what needs to be done, I say bite that bullet & start taking those steps.

I'm a bower bird, by nature, both my parents are. I'm slowly learning to move on stuff that I no longer have a use for though. I recently sold a third party Outback to a guy and enjoyed a week later seeing him post up pictures on a facebook group he had taken with it in an outdoors setting, it looked great and was being used for much more than I ever had planned for it.

I'm also a tight arse and wouldn't be able to bring myself to rent offsite storage for my collection.

I think there's a lot of truth to what Sinnertwin said. I love book s though, and just because you haven't read something in a long time doesn't mean you're not going to read it again. but perhaps you're better off having a lot less of these in your possession and re-buying them when you want to read them, or getting a digital version and decent digital reader, especially if you do this with a lot of comics.

the off site storage during renovation is a completely different thing and if you can't fill up a mates garage or spare room for the period, offsite storage is completely valid in that case. Having to move all your heavy stuff may also sway your opinion of how much you want to move back in once construction is finished.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)