Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Comics

Default Star Wars Comics

I have really enjoyed reading the IDW Transformers comics of late and now that I am almost up to date I was thinking of branching out.

I noticed that there are now Star Wars comics that are considered canon so I was wondering if anyone here reads them and whether they are worth the read? Do they add much to the universe or are they just another way to squeeze $ out of the franchise?

Have heard great things about the Han Solo mini series and the first Darth Vader series (https://www.comixology.com/Darth-Vad...s-series/35302). Not read the first one and only the first issue of the latter so can't speak for them personally. Vader seems to be set in the aftermath of the Death Star's destruction, finding out and tracking down who Luke is I guess. But again, one issue.

I doubt they add much though as a general rule. They are making way too many of them to do that.

Lastly if you are into Rebels, Kanan has (had?) his own series. Again can't speak on it but seems like they'd have more room to do something worthwhile with a Kanan origin.

In an attempt to be slightly useful, I will recommend the Tarkin, Thrawn and Ahsoka novels IF you are interested in any of the characters. Not finished Thrawn though, just to retract some of that usefulness. Only other current-canon book I've read is A New Dawn, which while I enjoyed it definitely falls in the money-squeezing end of the franchise. Really, Ahsoka is probably leaning towards that a bit.

Thanks mate. Might look into the novels for the next holiday. Never get enough time to read books outside of holidays hence why comics have appealed to me recently: short, easy reading and direct.

I've been reading the Star Wars title along with the first Dartg Vader series that is now finished. Both of them are set between A New Hooe and Empire, definitely worth a read I quite enjoy them. Pick them up in trades if you can it's just easier and sometimes cheaper, there is a crossover at one point too

The only ones I've read are the Shattered Empire paperback and the Darth Vader series. I really enjoyed both. Darth Vader has started up again but I haven't gotten onto it. Doctor Aphra is a spin-off from the Vader series, I am interested but might wait for collections. The 2 droids from the Vader series are pretty funny. The tracking down Skywalker aspect I would say is like a on again off again storyline amongst other story arcs but has provided some really great moments.

I have both the Ahsoka and Thrawn novels. I probably liked Thrawn more. Some of it seemed pretty familiar, I'm not sure if some was re-hashed from the older novels or not but it was pretty good.

I was slightly let down by Bloodline in that I had assumed it goes into more background and explanation of the First Order but it doesn't really at all. Otherwise it was pretty good. Rogue One Catalyst I wasn't really sure about it either, there didn't seem to be much tension or leading up to a conflict or anything. I did really like Battlefront: Twilight Company though.

So I thought I would try some of the early ones like Kanan, obi wan and anikan, darth maul. So far really enjoy them. They have all enriched the character development so I think I will go through all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    I have really enjoyed reading the IDW Transformers comics of late and now that I am almost up to date I was thinking of branching out.

I noticed that there are now Star Wars comics that are considered canon so I was wondering if anyone here reads them and whether they are worth the read? Do they add much to the universe or are they just another way to squeeze $ out of the franchise?
    They're well worth reading, especially the Darth Vader series and the Lando mini. Check your local library for trades.

Comixology for me

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    Comixology for me
    Well was more thinking saves you spending a cent in case you don't like them, but fair enough. (But seriously, check your library out for a whole bunch of comics to try.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
    Well was more thinking saves you spending a cent in case you don't like them, but fair enough. (But seriously, check your library out for a whole bunch of comics to try.)
    Yeah the only reason I would really use Comixology is that it is a good way to show demand in comics. They only cost 90c anyway per one so if I spent $10 its not a big deal. If I end up going all in then it supports more of them