Thread: Should I or Shouldnt I?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Should I or Shouldnt I?

I was looking at Juzmels collection withh all those unopen boxes earlier and it look so cool and i realise have ROTF toys still in there boxes I was so tempted to open them but then i hesitated? do you guys think i should just open it or have seperate sets of open transformers and one in boxes? any feedbacks?

as i say to everyone

OPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPEN

:P
    toys are meant to be played with

do you think i should get a second set?

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptic_Optics View Post
    do you think i should get a second set?
    Maybe of the ones you really like if you can afford to keep a second MISB set.

Perhaps JuzMel can give you some tips on opening Transformers in such a way that you can put them back in their boxes for display.

Or do like some people do and open your new TFs slowly, like one a week. It means you can buy up in the sales and still have new Transformers to play with for the next few weeks/months and have some MISB for display for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Or do like some people do and open your new TFs slowly, like one a week. It means you can buy up in the sales and still have new Transformers to play with for the next few weeks/months and have some MISB for display for a while.
    This.

Its really just a matter of how much money you wana fork out.

Leave in box and get 2nd set means double bling bling.

If you're thinking of keeping in boxes for the purpose of gaining value, I hardly think ROTF series is worth it. Its not like its rare of unique.

Buying in doubles means spending twice as much (as if this isn't an expensive enough hobby as it is) and also twice as much space (which I also struggle to find more of). If you like to open your toys but prefer to display them sealed, then get everything from Japan because most Japanese toy packaging is designed to be repackaged, even carded toys.

I personally just open the suckers and throw the packaging into the recycling bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    open your new TFs slowly, like one a week. It means you can buy up in the sales and still have new Transformers to play with for the next few weeks/months and have some MISB for display for a while.
    lol... this is exactly what i do... buy up all when they are cheap and then gradually open them over time...
    It satisfies the urge and you know that you got them all for a good price...

Quote Originally Posted by shazam View Post
    If you're thinking of keeping in boxes for the purpose of gaining value, I hardly think ROTF series is worth it. Its not like its rare of unique.
    Totally aggree with you there... There's no real point keeping ROTF for investment purposes as it will be a long long time before these things get rare...

Your henkei seekers are more likely to appreciate than ROTF...

Hehehe, most of the Melb. boys here know I do open my TFs but I just package them back nicely into the box as if they are still unopened for ease of display / and keeping them away from dust. You just have to be very patient.

I keep every plastic string tie and cardboard backings back into the box after I open the figure. Then I play with it for awhile, have it displayed in robot mode then its back to the box. Don't be fooled - a lot of my movie 07 / cybertron figures have actually been opened before. You just have to go through the hassle of slowing tying all the string ties back and fitting it back in the box.

And as Gok had mentioned, Takara stuff is so much easier to open and put back into package because they don't use string ties and instead mold the plastic according to the figure's shape to cover it. Hasbro's more lazy with their insane amount of string ties.

It's quite straight-forward for Voyagers, Leaders and Special Packs because they come in a box. For deluxe figures if you wanna keep the packaging intact, it's a bit more tricky. You have to slowly run a penknife at the bottom of the packaging, then use your fingers to slowly push from the bottom to peel off the packaging from the cardboard. I have attached a pic for u to see.

Once 3 sides of the packaging is peeled off from the cardboard, you can tilt open from the bottom in an angle and pull the figure out with the inner plastic mould. This method was actually taught by Icy who's more of an MISB collector. And I think it was someone else who passed on the method to him too. The same method applies for scouts and legends.

I personally don't buy a set of doubles just to open as well. I only have doubles of figures I really like. Spend the money of other TFs you don't have instead. And as most of the boys said, ROTF is not a good investment for extras. I have some Movie 07 figures that even at the cheapest prices nobody wants them. And yeah like Paulbot said, open your TFs slowly so that you can still have your MI(S)B collection on display - looking cool while having a couple of figures to play with. Hope this helps.
    ~ JuzMel ~
    My son is taking over all my TFs!