View Poll Results: GEN VOY Springer - worth buying?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 91.67%
  • Only if...

3 6.25%
  • Not worth it

0 0%
  • I'm not even interested

1 2.08%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Generations VOY Springer

Default Toy Review - Generations VOY Springer

(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to start you off)

Series - Generations
    Sub-line - n/a (Fall of Cybertron label dropped)
    Size/class - Voyager
    Wave - 3
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Released here - not expected here (released globally April 2013)
    Approximate Retail Price - $40-50 (US$20-25 in America)
    Approximate Size - 18cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Armed car, helicopter
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Triple-changer
    Main Colours - Green, yellow, dark grey, light grey
    Main Accessories - Sword, 2x missiles, missile launcher

NOTE - the original official image is below. The actual Hasbro toy does not have that metallic shine to it. If official photos of the actual toy is released, it will be changed over.

Very decent toy, although mine has a few QC issues, notably with a few tolerances on the stubs that requires some carving knife action. The front left hood panel on mine is also loose. Absolutely loving the car mode and the rachets in the joints, but heli mode is a huge letdown and seems to be an afterthought.

Overall well worth the 40 bucks but not more.

Note: I'm not sure if this is the usual hasbro QC, but at times when it does seem like I'm handling a KO toy when transforming it. Also how do you store the cannons in heli mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Raptormesh View Post
    Also how do you store the cannons in heli mode?
    You fold the landing gear up and it clips into the gap under the nose that the head goes through during transformation (with the launching slider thing facing downwards and the handle facing up towards the cockpit). I

Specifically there's basically a T shaped bit of plastic on the underside of the gun that slides into a slot in the yellow nose piece.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    You fold the landing gear up and it clips into the gap under the nose that the head goes through during transformation (with the launching slider thing facing downwards and the handle facing up towards the cockpit). I

Specifically there's basically a T shaped bit of plastic on the underside of the gun that slides into a slot in the yellow nose piece.
    Ah I see, thanks very much for that.

Haven't been this excited about a main line figure since ROTF leader Prime. Having him in hand this figure doesn't disappoint me in any way. Personally I think he's on par with ROTF Prime (not exactly on the engineering level, but the whole package). The two previous CHUG triple-changers, Astrotrain and Octane were decent in their own right, but being deluxes there was just too much constraint that limited the design (Still, the designers did an amazing job especially Octane). I'm so glad they went with voyager class this time and this is hopefuly an indication of more larger sized Generations figures in the future.

Armored car mode:
    According to the Toy Fair notes on tfwiki, Hasbro consulted high-end vehicle designers for the new Generations vehicle mode designs. This armored car is probably proof that the consulting money was well spent. It is very stream-lined yet feels chunky and powerful at the same time. Not sure why an armored car needs spoilers but heck it looks cool

He scales pretty well with Defender and Kup in car mode

Chopper mode:
    The weaker one of the two alt modes, but in no way is it a weak design itself. First and foremost it's distinguishing enough from the car. IMO better than some alt modes of TFs with only one alt mode we've seen in recent years. Also looks great without the gun attached. The sword/rotor transformation is very neat. Because it's a large sword, the rotor blades have quite heft to them which makes them feel like those on an actual model helicopter.

Robot mode:
    Too perfect to be true this is total robot sexiness I don't mind the slight lankiness (required for the chopper mode) at all, which makes him look like a track athlete (Springer has great leaping capability right). Head sculpt is spot on and like peaugh mentioned in his review they even went the extra mile to make the two yellow hood panels on the shoulders slide up and rotate to give him the definitive LSotW look. Very good articulation (Mattel should be ashamed of themselves when Transformers like Springer have almost the same amount articulation as their DC figures while cost you just a few more bucks, and can transform. but I digress). The lack of rocking ankles dosen't affect his stability one bit. There's almost no visably gappy parts and I really appreciate that the gaps on the inside of his thighs are molded like some tech details to make them not stick out too much.

He can pull off the box art pose:

With some of the movie cast:

Transformation is reasonably involved and elegant. The two side window panels in car mode are a bit finicky to line up. The key is make sure that the lower legs peg in on the arms when folded forward. Once you get the hang of it should be smooth transformation all the way.

QC is generally okay partly because there's very little paint apps on Springer. The factory worker that did the green wings on the arm seemed to have trouple staying in a straight line though.
    The rotating joint on my copy's left leg (one on the right in photo below) doesn't go all the way forward for some reason. This does not affect robot mode but still something to watch out for.

Also, the pegs on the gun for it to clip under the chopper mode nose have already shown stress marks. I thought it could slide in the groove but there's just not enough clearance so you have to twist it a bit and clip in that groove. Be careful when you pull it out.

Conclusion:
    Easily one of the best figures from Hasbro for a long while. Finally a true triple-changer with three decent modes. A must have.

P.S. Apprarently Hasbro designer Lenny Panzica gave Blitzwing a ten out of ten at Toy Fair. I think someone must have heard it wrong. He must be talking about Springer
    Last edited by doublespy; 26th April 2013 at 01:06 AM.

again Doublespy, thanks for the great photo series showing off this figure.

you make it look great. and highlight any potential issues you can see. the comparison shots are great.

Just like Blitzwing I'm hanging for this fella.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I agree... very nice set of pics on both Triplechangers.

I don't think I need to add anything extra to what Doublespy already posted.

Great figure in all modes, but the robot mode is by far the superior mode, but the car and helicopter are both fantastic. The transformation is simpler than I was expecting, the similarities between car and helicopter surprised me. Colours work well, and I am glad that there are not many paint apps, it keeps the figure simple and bold. Maybe some reprolabel stickers at some point to break up the blocks of colour, but they would not be necessary.

In car mode, the front left panel that comprises the hood has trouble staying in place, but it is a trifle overall compared to the quality of the figure. Certainly on a (very) shortlist for best Hasbro figure of the year, and potentially for the best Transformer of the year from any company.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I can only think of two faults with this figure.

1. Lack of lower leg articulation - I know the LSOTW extending shoulder pads are a nice fan nod but I'd have prefered to have non extending shoulder pads and possibly some more ankle articulation (which would possibly have been not workable anyway looking at how close the wheels sit to the feet).

2. Chopper mode - I prefer Springers to have really angular sharp dangerous looking attack chopper modes (which explains in part the unshared appreciation I have for the GDO Springer figure), whereas this one is a more bulky rounded chopper. No big deal, one mode inevitably has to suffer for the other in modern triple changers. It could stand to fit together a bit tighter in chopper mode as well - the arms plug into the sides of the chest which fold down to the waist, but these pieces just sort of hang flush to the body of the vehicle based on joint strength alone. Also I can never get the rear 'skirt' piece to tab into the back of the thighs and sit flush - it always leaves a gap.

Minor gripes at best, this is one of the best voyagers for a long time. It's really really amazing photogenic - I may do a photo set at some point.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.