View Poll Results: GEN-15 VOY Motormaster - worth buying?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 85.71%
  • Only if...

2 14.29%
  • No

0 0%
  • I'm not interested

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - GEN-15 VOY Motormaster (combiner)

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I always thought they could do a Motorrmaster using the cocept pioneered by the original G1 Ultra Magnus. That is they could have a black cab that turned into a robot then a gray trailer that became armour that fit over the smaller robot. Then people could have the best of both worlds - a black robot (like he appeared in the cartoons) that was in scale with the rest of the Stunticons, or a giant gray robot that looked more like the original toy
    I think I largely agree with this. I don't have the toy yet, but in my opinion - and contrary to popular opinion - it just doesn't quite work as Motormaster for me because it appears to have been designed with Optimus Prime in mind first. Thus, it's missing iconic elements that scream Motormaster such as the integrated trailer and the cab becoming the feet. If it doesn't turn up over here before I go away, I may end up just getting Grand Scourge instead.

I agree that it would be cool, but there's less redeco potential with a toy like that for a relatively less popular character. By making it Optimus Prime-esque, they've obviously been able to redeco the toy as Optimus Prime to help get more money back that they spent developing the mould. We all know that redecos are important to help keep the cost of these toys down. We've seen how Leader Class Jetfire has been redecoed as Thundercracker and Starscream (and it wouldn't surprise me if Skywarp happened too), and Megatron was simultaneously released as G1 and Armada.

Ultra Magnus is arguably a more popular character, and it wouldn't surprise me if Hasbro thought up of some way to redeco the toy later on, even if it's an awkwardly shoehorned redeco like CW Cyclonus.

the only thing with turning into a Cab/Trailer in one means that alt mode would be totally out of sca... what, nevermind, this is Transformers we're talking about, carry on.

Might not be the G1 Motormaster we remember, but he's not the only Classics-verse character to have a pretty decent makeover - Kup, Perceptor, Windcharger (RTS version), Jetfire, multiple Optimii etc. While MM's deviation from the original design might be further than the others listed, I can deal with it, because it means I've got an affordable Menasor.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I always thought they could do a Motorrmaster using the cocept pioneered by the original G1 Ultra Magnus. That is they could have a black cab that turned into a robot then a gray trailer that became armour that fit over the smaller robot. Then people could have the best of both worlds - a black robot (like he appeared in the cartoons) that was in scale with the rest of the Stunticons, or a giant gray robot that looked more like the original toy
    That would be a really interesting toy and a hell of an engineering challenge.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I agree that it would be cool, but there's less redeco potential with a toy like that for a relatively less popular character. By making it Optimus Prime-esque, they've obviously been able to redeco the toy as Optimus Prime to help get more money back that they spent developing the mould. We all know that redecos are important to help keep the cost of these toys down. We've seen how Leader Class Jetfire has been redecoed as Thundercracker and Starscream (and it wouldn't surprise me if Skywarp happened too), and Megatron was simultaneously released as G1 and Armada.

Ultra Magnus is arguably a more popular character, and it wouldn't surprise me if Hasbro thought up of some way to redeco the toy later on, even if it's an awkwardly shoehorned redeco like CW Cyclonus.
    I think that Magnus would make a great Powermaster Optimus Prime. You'd need to fill out a bit of the trailer with some panels, but you've got the chest good to go and some type of powermaster thing you can probably do with Minimus' space.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

That would feel forced to me, although not much more forced than say CW Cyclonus. One key difference between PM Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus is that PM OP's cab does transform into a smaller robot which we do see in canon.
    http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...tfuniverse.gif
    http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/...programmed.jpg

just picked one and playing with it now, mine seems a bit floppy and to be honest I'm have a real hard time trying to work out some of the instructions to get him into truck mode....

Thumbs up

More attention grabbing than his Optimus counterpart as shown by a better torso with a balanced usage of color. The chest section has a way better look due to more depth than the bland 2D-like equivalent that Optimus shows. The overall color scheme of Motormaster combined with his bulky look adds to his tyrannical personality. It's a bummer that when it comes to weapon storage, the sword can only be attached to the gun. And finally, the robot mode is better than the alt mode.

Anyone also having issues with floppy knees? I know the ratchet in the hips are an issue for others but seems OK on mine, but the knees can't hold the weight especially when combined as Menasor.

Quote Originally Posted by k.wong23 View Post
    Anyone also having issues with floppy knees? I know the ratchet in the hips are an issue for others but seems OK on mine, but the knees can't hold the weight especially when combined as Menasor.
    The knees are held in place by screws, so getting a small crosshead screwdriver and tightening them a touch might help, but be careful not to over-tighten and crack the plastic. I did this with my version to assist with standing in the alternate combined mode.