Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Review: Windblade (ongoing)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    If you skipped Drift and Heart of Darkness you wouldn't be missing much. Heart of Darkness is so ugly. If you skip the -ation books it'd be a shame, they are great story, although rushed to a climax. Four of the Spotlight comics are the end of the -ation series in fact.

As for this series, you'll want to read at least the first few issues as they are parts of the Combiner Wars crossover. It's expected that these issues will turn up with wave 3 or wave 4 Combiner War deluxes.
    Agree with all of this. Skipping the -ations is a shame, but understandable, but make sure you go back to everything pre AHM at some point!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

The reason I don't think I'd like the -ation books is because of the art style, at least what I can see from the outside. Does the continuum cover most of the important stuff?

I was a fan of Dark Cybertron, and what from what I understand, Windblade starts somewhere in there. I'll give the first few issues a go.

Megatron Origin looks really cool as well. I'm always into his development as a character.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

I got issue one, but have only flicked through it so far. The crossover doesn't particularly grab me and starting a new series with the second chapter of another story seems wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    The reason I don't think I'd like the -ation books is because of the art style, at least what I can see from the outside. Does the continuum cover most of the important stuff?

I was a fan of Dark Cybertron, and what from what I understand, Windblade starts somewhere in there. I'll give the first few issues a go.

Megatron Origin looks really cool as well. I'm always into his development as a character.
    The Continuum book covers all the main plot points broadly, and gets some a little wrong, but is a good cheat sheet if you're going to skip those comics. The Windblade miniseries takes place after the Dark Cybertron crossover. The ongoing Windblade series occurs now in the Combiner Wars crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Then don't read Megatron Origins. It was a complete cluster.... Of a series that contradicted much of the then current IDW history and required massive retcons and re workings to now fit. Art was nice.

Shame you aren't a fan of EJ Su's art, I always found his work on the -ations books to be some of my favourite, and was one of the many reasons I started reading them to begin with. Sure beat the previously decent Figueora art we got in the ongoing!

If you plan on rewarding the spotlights, read the -ations, it's less than 30 issues and will help a lot with the spotlights which weave in and out of them, plus they all tie back into Dark Cybertron anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Then don't read Megatron Origins. It was a complete cluster.... Of a series that contradicted much of the then current IDW history and required massive retcons and re workings to now fit. Art was nice.

Shame you aren't a fan of EJ Su's art, I always found his work on the -ations books to be some of my favourite, and was one of the many reasons I started reading them to begin with. Sure beat the previously decent Figueora art we got in the ongoing!

If you plan on rewarding the spotlights, read the -ations, it's less than 30 issues and will help a lot with the spotlights which weave in and out of them, plus they all tie back into Dark Cybertron anyway.
    If I ever see them I might give them a flick through. The only art I've actually seen is covers and a few TFwiki pictures.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post

what's wrong with megatron origins? usually the tfwiki has some snarky sarcastic comments about things that were crap or silly but I didn't notice any.

I bought MTMTE vol 1 trade paperback as pretty much my first TF comic and after that started buying the hardcover IDW collections which start with megatron origins. so i don't know what's been messed up (i also don't seem to absorb as much so i may have just missed it...)

At the time it was originally released it contradicted pretty much everything of what had been mentioned about Cybertrons history. It suffered from showing characters that had died/ didn't exist or were not meant to be there. It also had fembots, who at that point did not exist outside of Arcee.

A lot of the errors were fixed in subsequent trades, or retconned later by Barber, but if was a real jumbled mess that was made at a time when the fledging tf fiction was in a really cohesive place.

Issue 2 is out, and while I am usually either a fan of, or don't mind Livio's art, he has not done a very good job on this one.

He has character models all mixed up (although he was sent the wrong models to work from) and it is nigh impossible at times to tell what is going on.

Another quick fight, another combiner and Prowl looks like he may the centre point for this mini series. He has the best into on the who's who page.

i have a feeling that end of this prowl will be dead
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    i have a feeling that end of this prowl will be dead
    I have similar sentiments, but I feel that the Table flipping Prowl we all know and love will have turned out to be dead from the moment he placed himself as the Head of Prowlestator.

I know comic charaterisation changes at the drop of a hat but he has been too different since his chipping.

On an unrelated note, I was interested to see Sunstreaker back on Cybertron, I thought he was a better fit on the Lost Light. He must be forming a limb on the Prime Combiner or something to be back and showed off so definitively on Cybertron this issue.