View Poll Results: GEN-15 Legends Groove - worth buying?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 75.00%
  • Only if...

2 16.67%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

1 8.33%

Thread: Toy Review - GEN-2015 Legends Groove

Default Toy Review - GEN-2015 Legends Groove

(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just some brief details to start you off)
    Impressions of the group or a combiner as a whole can be posted here or in the pre-existing group review topic here.

GROOVE
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Combiner Wars
    Size/class - Legends
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 3
    Released here - Not here yet (out in Asia April)
    Approximate Retail Price - (probably about $20) US$10
    Approximate Size - 10cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Motorcycle
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Combiner accessory (chestplate)
    Main Colours - White, black, grey, gold
    Main Accessories - none

Here's my quick review of the new Combiner Wars Groove. Not a bad start to the Protectobots

Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Groove - YouTube

two replies and just video reviews...

Ok then, first up, the size of Groove's legs, and the shape of his feet make me think he's wearing a pair of these:

Possibly in an effort to try to keep up with his taller team mates...

Stilt legs aside, he's a cool little figure, plenty of articulation in bot mode, and gives off a very G1 Groove motorbike look on the rear end, with a more modern front end.

Like many of the other CW Legends range, the lack of a weapon for him is a drawback, but when in combined form doesn't really matter much.

The post on his left leg and socket on his right have me a little confused - what are they for?

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    two replies and just video reviews...
    The second posted video review was moved because it was after the new rule was implemented, but the first posted video review had to be left because it was posted before the new rule came into force.

Ok then, first up, the size of Groove's legs, and the shape of his feet make me think he's wearing a pair of these:
    <Image snip>

Possibly in an effort to try to keep up with his taller team mates...
    Or, maybe Groove just escaped from Aperture Laboratory.

Looks like a kind of silly looking. But manages to make a kind of cool chest adornment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Or, maybe Groove just escaped from Aperture Laboratory.

Looks like a kind of silly looking. But manages to make a kind of cool chest adornment.
    Same idea

I might see if I can get him to ride my United Wreck Gar one day

My thoughts:

Robot Mode
    A bit too lanky, which is a stark contrast to the G1 toy who remains one of the most squat in my collection Besides that not a bad looking Groove, at least he is G1 coloured - the last two Grooves I got (Asia Kids Day and Universe Micromaster) were blue .

Vehicle Mode
    Not bad, but a bit too elongated. A bit more like a bikies bike than a police motorcycle, or kinda like the bikes Prowl and Cromedome rode in MTMTE. Also a shame no police lights on him. Not bad, but not brilliant.

Transformation
    Easy, and a little reminicent of the G1 version with the way his legs fit together and his feat become the seat.

Overall
    If you are looking for a good CW Groove, it may be worth waiting for the Tak/Tom version that is going to be released, looks more impressive. However the upside of this Groove is that he turns into very cool chest armor for Defensor so for the relatively cheap price I reckon he's worth grabbing.

I might see if I can get him to ride my United Wreck Gar one day
    They are retooling this figure as Wreck-Gar so you can make them ride each other in scale

Overall a quite satisfactory Legends figure. Okay, it's not as solid or bulky as other Legends figures (e.g. Powerglide), but to be fair, he transforms into a motorcycle, and it's just one of those alt modes which will always be challenging to do because it's so small; there's not a lot of places to put the robot parts, and Groove has a tertiary gestalt chestplate mode to accommodate. G1 Groove is a more solid figure, but then again he's a virtual brick. The bike mode is actually a bit bulky, somewhat reminiscent of Kaneda's motorcycle from Akira. The way that Groove connects to Defensor as the breastplate is really tight; the complete opposite of Blackjack on Menasor (I've just given up on that and I just leave Blackjack as a separate TF on my shelves with Menasor combined without him). I just wish that the arms had a better of of being secured more tightly in motorcycle mode.

Overall: Recommended.