Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: Maz's 3rd Party Articles & Reviews

Maz is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Headsculpts

Last week we discussed some of the finest official Hasbro and Takara Transformers toy headsculpts with the help of fellow collectors. This week we look at some of the standout headsculpts from unofficial 3rd party Transformers toys. While there may not be as much to choose from, and arguably 3P companies often fail to scale the heights official figures do when it comes to headsculpts, some companies really know how to nail a character.

PLEASE keep in mind that only 5 members of the entire global Transformers community have contributed to this article, it is not meant to be a top 5 of the best 3P headsculpts, just 5 people's opinions, a tiny cross section. Just something to read and think about, and hopefully enjoy. This in no way invalidates your own opinion or requires a "how does this article not include XYZ". Just sayin'

Headsculpts – 3rd Party | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

Huge thanks to Jetbolt, Sixo, HQT and Hardreturn for contributions.

All the best
    Maz

At a time where the lion’s share of 3rd party attention is directed at Masterpiece scale products, MakeToys and a handful of others are continuing to provide products at Classics, legends and city scale. Cross Dimension is MakeToys’ latest concept at this Classics/Generations scale and the first product is MTCD-01 Striker Manus, quite obviously based on the most iconic heroic leader of any transforming robot faction anywhere in the world! It’s impossible to say that there’s no Generation 1 influence here, but at least Striker Manus is not trying to be the G1 leader’s exact same truck cab and robot, there’s a great deal of aesthetic departure from that well known model. While the looks will be a defining filter for many collectors, let’s explore Striker Manus’s features beyond just the visual.

MakeToys MTCD-01 Striker Manus | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Not sure if I have already said this but Maz I love your reviews and thank you for the effort put into these. From the high quality photos to the content everything is done with utmost professionalism and attention to detail. Honestly very much appreciate it and look forward to sitting down with a coffee on Saturday afternoon to enjoy the latest insight into 3p offerings

Cheers mate
    Sometimes all you need is a little energon and alotta luck...

I'd like to echo GoFig's sentiment. Appreciate your work Maz.

You may have sold me on this figure too.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Yup I agree, I've been keenly waiting for Maz's 2 cents on this guy too.

Default BadCube Speedbump (MP Trailbreaker)

Wow, that is awesome of you guys, the praise and kind words are greatly appreciated. Thank you, sincerely.

and here's another installment

BadCube have taken strides. Since flaky beginnings with Huff, they’ve produced what many would consider the definitive egotistical yellow Lamborghini Countach brother at Masterpiece scale, but the complex nature of the figure affected some collectors’ appreciation of Sunsurge. While Sunsurge improved on the horrendous intricacy of Wardog, it was still not quite there in terms of the distinct Masterpiece feel and accessibility, so how have they fared with their latest offering OTS-11 Speedbump?

BadCube OTS-11 Speedbump | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

FansToys appear to have marked 2017 on their calendar as the year they plan to take over the scene. That’s not to say that companies like MakeToys, FansHobby and Mastermind Creations etc are not doing enough to compete for your money, but FT have pumped out quality new mould after quality new mould so far this year. We’ve had an amazing run of FT-16 Sovereign, FT-08 Grinder and now FT-10 Phoenix. Oh, have I given the game away a bit there with regards to what I think of Phoenix? Well, if you ever come across me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or TFW2005, you’ll already know how highly I rate this Masterpiece-scale faction-and-IP-swapping behemoth. It’s Phoenix, he’s in the sky, and he’s definitely on fire.

FansToys FT-10 Phoenix – The Source Report

All the best
    Maz

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

The main complaint I am hearing is this Jetfire piece lacks paint and is what Fantoys fans like about their toys in the first place.

It looks to me, they be coming out a second painted version after this one.
    Fan Toys earned my respect of know what a masterpiece line is meant to represent as much as many may disagree being its not an official toy but they have nailed it in many ways.

Looking forward to more new tfs from this company.

Well I'm impressed. You get a lot of Transformer there for your buck. Yesterday I was still deciding whether to keep mine on order, but reading the review makes me swing back to wanting to keep it lol.