Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Play With This Too...

wow i like those designs...
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

For those interested, I set up a wiki page for Play With This Too product and personal here:

http://en.wikialpha.org/wiki/Play_With_This_Too

It had their press releases, interviews, links to bios for all the employees and toys. You can click on any of them to see about them.

Rik Alvarez has also told me he's interested in doing interviews on podcasts about the Kickstarter as it's starting up. What podcast do you listen to that might be interested in this sort of coverage?

Thanks Scaleface - great effort! I had a look before and browsed through some of the team's bios. Seems like there's an error on the page now?

Also, so much awesome.. Boneyard.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

i like that boneyard
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    He has done a little bit of art for Play With This Too...

http://playwiththistoo.com/2015/01/1...ic-siebenaler/
    That doesn't surprise me, since a lot of the people who worked on Transformers at the same time as him are the core of that new business venture. But I thought Eric might have been more involved in the year since he left Hasbro... unless he is busy with something else we don't know about.

Looking at the products page of PWTT... that's a lawsuit waiting to happen. The top half all look like Transformers characters, and they have a "Hero Mashers" design/play-element to them.
    The 3rd-party businesses in Asia can get away with it because they are not known to be from ex-employees, and they are outside of the American legal jurisdiction of Hasbro... but since PWTT has several Hasbro TFs designers, if they became a success later, Hasbro could go after them with the claim that these were ideas they had while employed at Hasbro (which could use the Hero Mashers concept as proof), and as such, if they are being paid by Hasbro to deliver toy ideas during a certain time-frame and it can be proven these were first thrown around in that time, then those ideas are Hasbro property.
    (the precedent is already there - the designer for Bratz dolls used to work for Mattel, and when he left and developed his own toyline through MGA, Mattel sued him/them for half a Billion dollars on the claim that his first ideas for the Bratz toyline was while he was being paid to produce toy ideas for Mattel, and as such they claimed to have exclusive rights to any ideas he had during that time even if Mattel didn't use them or know about them... and after many years and many millions of dollars spent in courts, the dispute is still not resolved, and the Bratz line lost an estimated 1 Billion dollars due to the loss of momentum by retailers who saw the bad press tied to the brand and the uncertainty of recalls/refunds if the impending injunctions that prevented selling them came into effect - effectively, the money and power behind Mattel was able to destroy the strongest competitor Barbie ever had, even if Mattel end up losing the lawsuit because the Bratz brand never recovered... and Hasbro has just as much power to protect its billion-dollar brand of Transformers if it needs to stall the success of a real rival, if one ever appeared in the American market)

^It does make you think about why they are flying so close to the sun. Aaron Archer and co would know better than most the IP legalities. Time will tell I guess..
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

I'm amused by it mainly because of Archer's massive boohoo at TFCon last year about how terrible it was that third party companies are riding on Hasbro's coat tails by producing things similar to Transformers.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

I don't think Archer's problem was with third party figures as such, just that they were basing them on existing characters, instead of creating new ones (which seems to be what Play With This Too seems to be doing)

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    I'm amused by it mainly because of Archer's massive boohoo at TFCon last year about how terrible it was that third party companies are riding on Hasbro's coat tails by producing things similar to Transformers.
    Ha... if he actually said that, that's so hypocritical for producing toys themselves that are based on Hasbro characters. Even if they aren't copies of Hasbro toys (which would be called KOs), if their toys are recognised by collectors as homages to Hasbro characters, then PWTT are doing the exact same thing as the "third party" companies if they don't have licensing from Hasbro.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Ha... if he actually said that, that's so hypocritical for producing toys themselves that are based on Hasbro characters. Even if they aren't copies of Hasbro toys (which would be called KOs), if their toys are recognised by collectors as homages to Hasbro characters, then PWTT are doing the exact same thing as the "third party" companies if they don't have licensing from Hasbro.
    he calls it theft. Pot. Kettle. Black.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A0mxP_ykuro

The third party questions by Vangelus start roughly halfway through the video