Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we let foreigners in as members?

Default Should we let foreigners in as members?

I want this forum to feel like an exclusive home for local fans here, so I don't think the doors will ever be opened to every fan around the world. Even if it means we remain a small number of members, at least it would be *our* community. That said, I don't think many fans from outside of our part of this world (or even outside of this country) are that interested in participating here anyway, due to there being other fan forums for the global topics and little relevence to our local topics.
    I'm wondering if we should allow foreign fans in, and if so, should they only be allowed in if they can bring something of use here (like fans who are sources for news or info). If I did allow this, I'd limit it to only those people who are from some sort of important background and assess each person as to why they should be here. I want to see what other people here think though. But like I said, we don't get much interest from fans outside of our part of the world. They just need to be aware that if they are a regular fan who can't bring something useful to our forum, they need to interact on one that is global or local to them, because that would be more fulfilling to them.

I'd prefer to keep the community a local one, with a rider that I think there is some worthiness in allowing certain fans who have something of particular value to bring to the community (like TF:Mosaic, who I assume is not local).

I'd prefer that the character of our community was not diluted by allowing too many non-Australasians to participate.
    SofaMan - Occasionally Battling Evil with his Mighty Powers of Indolence

i agree - the only people who should be permitted to join are people such as TF:Mosaic who bring a specific service to the site

George
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

I would accept _some_ situations - such as Aussies/Kiwis living abroad (not emigrants, those working or studying) and the like.

As for true foreigners, I think they'd need to have a compelling reason and there were need to be some support for that person joining.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    I would accept _some_ situations - such as Aussies/Kiwis living abroad (not emigrants, those working or studying) and the like.
    Actually, I hadn't considered this - I wouldn't have a problem with this either.

Yeah, foreigners who provide us with a generous service to the fan community should be allowed such as TF Mosaic and so forth.

Australian residents who are temporary abroad should also be allowed.

New Zeland residents should also be allowed in as I am sure that the NZ fan community is as small as the Australian one and it would be a good idea to support one another.

Just wanted to point out that TF Mosaic is apparently from North QLd or Sydney (or both, I think it is a pair of fans).

There are big boards for other countries, this needs to be Australian specific, with exceptions for services like TF Mosaic or people who join here as aussies abroad and then return to their countries.

Maybe we should allow for NZ residents? I mean, I know Australia and New Zealand are not the same country by any stretch of the imagination, but the community might really appreciate some kind of diversity? I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    Maybe we should allow for NZ residents? I mean, I know Australia and New Zealand are not the same country by any stretch of the imagination, but the community might really appreciate some kind of diversity? I dunno.
    New Zealanders are already included on Ozformers. Zippo is from NZ.

Where do we used to be overseas students and now permanent residents fall into place?