Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: would you pay more for a figure that had it's box

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Well, yeah, although I think there might be a statute of limitations on some toys - and it turns out that sometimes (ironically) it's better to buy second hand toys than ones that are sealed. I opened a MISB Masters of the Universe Multi-Bot from 1986 earlier this year, and it turned out that a loose one would have been in better condition than the sealed one - the plastic had reacted badly with the plastic bags inside the box. It's a bit like the plasticiser issue with Pretender Monster shells.
    Hence the risk.

I think what is obvious is,
    All new toys, buy misb regardless you are going to open it or not.
    All old toys, you need to reconsider.
    For old vintage, I rather pay to see a c10 condition toy which I know it's not broken than challenging the risk of a broken part but you choose to believe nothin is wrong as it hasn't been opened before.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    I like to buy sealed toys so I know they're new. Any flaws are production errors or my fault, not someone else's. Then I throw out the boxes - it's not worth wasting my space with boxes just in case I resell them. I keep G1 and G2 packaging - anything newer is just landfill and recycling. If I had a choice between a loose mint toy with stickers unapplied then I'd prefer that than a second-hand one with all its packaging.
    I only keep Takara Masterpiece boxes. The rest get chucked except for a select few. If I kept all the boxes, my collection would be a quarter the size it is today.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

At the quality of today's masterpieces, I gladly swap with anyone with a brand new loose grimlock with my hasbro misb for $30 less.

I could actually don't mind paying $40 less for just the toy in the cart plastic without the box, as long as it is complete and new.

Up until now I would keep all the packaging. Thats every card or Box from SW and TF from the last 30 years. Was a lot of stuff building up. Now I only keep MP and G1 boxes. So everything else is in the trash.....So far two council garbage pickups with a third booked for new year. Its just Boxes filled with crushed packaging. But wow I have so much extra space now.

Did you find my BT box?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    Did you find my BT box?
    Not yet

Specific to the question. Yes, I pay more for a figure in box,
    I also pay a bit more if it never been opened.
    I pay less if the figure is loose but complete.
    I also pay even less if there are condition issues.

Exception to vintage toys where you don't have a say, you want it, you pay for it.

Do I like to keep boxes? Yes they are nice for some.
    No if they are card.

Do I keep my toys misb? No for me as it defeats the purpose of owning a toy.
    I will gladly open a $2,000 toy if I bought one.
    I know I get to enjoy the toy.
    If I have extra money though, I keep misb as a second back up.

Transformers masterpieces are not of that value to be misb IMO as they are constantly reissued. With the exception like the green and Eva prime which btw are not transformers related. Those would be the only few that I feel have exclusiveness .

I don't find displaying boxes have any meaning. But that's me. As I don't see it any different than going to a toy shop.
    Mind you, I was a very known collector in Singapore , and I have seen very different collectors. Some may go Wow, solid collection and some will brush you off because they are not in boxes. Either way, is what makes you happy.
    To be honest, other than mp1 all other masterpiece didn't feel like a masterpiece anymore . As there isn't metal involved as much. I did accepted that masterpiece line is what it is now but it was a slight let down of what I thought it was going to be. A direct challenge to the gokin for transformers , this was where Binaltech was and absolute premium toy

Oh here's an interesting one that wasn't asked.

If you could purchase all your future masterpieces brand new without their boxes at $50 less for each figure, will you buy it?

Chances for me, is a yes. I don't buy to keep my collection in boxes.

Money equals more opportunity to own other pieces if I can save.
    Last edited by drifand; 11th January 2015 at 01:57 PM.

I have kept the boxes for all of my MP's as well as the rest of my collection. Except for some of my earlier collecting. G1 have no packaging exept for some i have acquired in the last few years. But it is space consuming that most of my collection is boxed but in the end if I was to sell some of it at least they do have the original boxes.

the torture of others sparks is music to my sensors!!!