Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you stick to a budget? The 2015 Budget Challenge!

Default Can you stick to a budget? The 2015 Budget Challenge!

Thought this'd be interesting and maybe become a regular thing we can look back on.

The idea is that you set a budget amount for the entire year. Then you write down the things you're considering buying & how much it'll cost (or guess/estimate). You can be specific or vague, like $100 for Generation Deluxes since some stuff might not be announced yet. As stuff gets announced you can amend the want list with proper prices. But each time you do, edit your post to track the total estimated spend for everything you want.

Once an item is on your considering list, it stays there, even if you later decide you don't want it anymore. That way, the list of things we didn't buy will be much more impressive to present to our partners at the end of the year :P Maybe just use the strikethough button in the post editor to cross out things you don't want anymore, if you like.

As you actually buy stuff, build your Bought list - edit your post again to track total cost (shipping included) for each item.

No one judge another on the amount they budget and end up spending or what they choose to buy!
    It can be TF's only or everything you're interested in, up to you.

The budget amount shouldn't be changed once decided. Everything in AUD!
    If you sell stuff to fund new stuff, you can add that amount separate to the budget, but ultimately we're trying to stick to the initial budget amount regardless.

So here's the format to follow and my lists so far:

2015 Budget: $1500
    Sold items value: $1000

Considering List:
    • $15 - Mega Man Amiibo Birthday present from wife
    • $150 - MP 24 Star Saber
    • $130 - Unannounced MPs
    • $96 - Optimus Prime Featuring PlayStation
    • $150 - XTransbots Apollyon
    • $60 - Super Robot Chogokin God Sigma
    • $25 - MOTUC Snakeface
    • $50 - MOTUC Mantenna
    • $32.50 - MOTUC Man-at-arms
    • $32.50 - MOTUC Mer-man
    • $100 - FansProject not Skullcruncher
    • $125 - FansProject not Snarl
    • $130 - FansProject Madlaw Saw video review, don't like enough modes & won't match my displays
    • $70 - Wii U Bayonetta 2 Birthday present from family
    • $60 - Wii U Yoshi's Wooly World
    • $60 - Wii U Splatoon
    • $60 - Wii U Starfox
    • $60 - Wii U Zelda
    • $60 - Wii U Devil's Third
    • $60 - Wii U Xenoblade Chronicles X
    • $48 - 3DS Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
    • $7 - 3DS Afterburner 2 3D Classic Bought with eShop card purchased in 2014
    • $7 - 3DS Outrun 3D Classic Will buy with eShop card purchased in 2014
    • $50 - Vita Resident Evil Revelations 2
    • $20 - Vita Axiom Verge
    • $20 - Vita Mighty No. 9
    • $20 - Vita Geometry Wars 3
    • $20 - Vita Shovel Knight
    • $20 - Vita Hotline Miami 2 Refused classification
    • $15 - Vita Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition
    • $8 - Ridge Racer 3D & Gears of War (2 for price of 1)
    • $18 - Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge
    • $19 - Luigi's Mansion 2

Considering list total spend: $1787

Bought List:
    • 08 Jan - $15 - Vita Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition
    • 18 Jan - $32.50 - MOTUC Man-at-arms
    • 18 Jan - $32.50 - MOTUC Mer-Man
    • 21 Jan - $50 - MOTUC Mantenna
    • 21 Jan - $25 - MOTUC Snakeface
    • 31 Jan - $8 - Ridge Racer 3D & Gears of War (2 for price of 1)
    • 12 Feb - $18 - Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge
    • 14 Feb - $48 - 3DS Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
    • 14 Feb - $19 - Luigi's Mansion 2
    • 28 Feb - $96 - Optimus Prime Featuring PlayStation
    • 14 Mar - $25 - Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate New 3DS Cover Plate

Actual Spend: $369

2015 Under-spenders
    1. TBA

2015 Over-spenders
    1. TBA
    Last edited by kurdt_the_goat; 3rd April 2015 at 08:15 PM.

I think it's important to try and stick to a budget, in 2013 I tracked everything and tried to come in at $20 per week ($1040 for the year). I was on track until December when a bunch of expensive "bargains" showed up and I blew out to $1300 or so. In 2014 I didn't track my spending well but I would estimate a similar level. I'll be tracking 2015 again and should stay below $1000 for the year.

I can't stick to a budget at all. I keep getting pay rises at my hateful job and more and more TF toys keep getting made. This year may be a bit different with the missus taking a year off work and bub no2 just around the cervical corner so finances may be tighter, but on the whole I just buy what I want as long as it's not an unreasonable price.

A budget is a smart idea, but all my self control this year will go towards keeping not smoking and also not throttling idiot coworkers and students from my upcoming lack of sleep. Putting a toy budget on top of that is beyond my meagre skills Maybe if Hasbro Tak/Tom tell me every single TF that will be released this year, what their quality will be and what great deals might come along it may then be a possibility

My budget amounts to spend less than I have coming in. I couldn't set any type of definitive budget at this early stage. So many toys and games are unannounced.

What I did do last year as I saw games at E3 I wanted was make a list of all the games I wanted in Q3 and Q4 but it was been adjusted till the final game as better and worse than expected reviews kept hitting.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Nope,

I always want to spent less but some good stuff always comes along.
    The only way is to sell some stuff to trade up what you want to stay in budget.

Nope. I've never stuck to a budget in the 3 or so years I've been collecting. It's a lot different for me though, being only 15, there's not much else I can spend money on, unlike the adults here who have to pay bills and stuff.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Actually, cancel all that other stuff I said. The wife just shut me down when I went to buy the first 3 live action movies on blu ray in one pack for $50, arguing I already have 2 & 3 on DVD and 3 different copies of 1 on DVD too.

She is my living budget enforcer

Edit: Oh bollocks! I forgot I already have DOTM on Blu Ray - man I would have copped it if I had bought it again because I forgot
    Last edited by BigTransformerTrev; 5th January 2015 at 10:44 PM.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Actually, cancel all that other stuff I said. The wife just shut me down when I went to buy the first 3 live action movies on blu ray in one pack for $50, arguing I already have 2 & 3 on DVD and 3 different copies of 1 on DVD too.

This ! And if you are not careful it can end real bad.

I try to be more picky on stuff I buy, but its real hard.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post

Really, she won't let you upgrade from a crappy, blurry 480p DVD to a pristine 1080p Blu-ray. Thats harsh.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Just realised i forgot to add PlayStation Prime... lol, i'm gonna need a few of these items to get delayed till 2016, or turn out to be shit... to have any hope of achieving this