Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Lengths

Default Post Lengths

I just realised there's a 15,000 character limit on the length of posts. Is there a way to extend this? I discovered it when trying to migrate some old reviews from the old board to here. Or is there a reason why we're limiting post lengths?

Haha! I noticed it when I was posting one of my first custom posts. Funny :b What is the reason though?

memory buffer, i think?

I extended it from the default of 10,000 but don't want it to be unlimited, to prevent people from posting excessive length posts. I might extend it to 50,000, because it may effect reviews or fanfics.

You could just post in "parts" - that's what I do when I do posts with images that go beyond the limit (I think it's about 10 imgs per post). I just label it as "Part 1 of..." (e.g.: my collection pics)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I extended it from the default of 10,000 but don't want it to be unlimited, to prevent people from posting excessive length posts. I might extend it to 50,000, because it may effect reviews or fanfics.
    I'm planning on a few fanfics myself. Is it possible to enable it just for the review and creative sections? They're the forums most likely to exceed the post length imo.

Or you could break your story up into chapters/parts - as I do with my photocomics. "Silverbolt and Padmé" is a good example of this; a story broken up in Scenes and Acts, I'm starting a new thread for each Scene and a new post for each Act.

Another option is to upload it somewhere else and provide a link. You could also submit it to the Lexicon and provide a direct link to your fic there. Another advantage of submitting it to the Lexicon is that your fanfic would be accessible by the wider TF fanfic community, not just OzFormer members - and Lexicon users can also rate your fics too.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Or you could break your story up into chapters/parts - as I do with my photocomics. "Silverbolt and Padmé" is a good example of this; a story broken up in Scenes and Acts, I'm starting a new thread for each Scene and a new post for each Act.
    Im not sure a new thread for each scene is a good idea. I think keeping the stuff in the same thread. W/ a photocomic, it's easier to break up. Whereas w/ fanfic it really breaks the ebb of a chapter to continue it in another post.

Another option is to upload it somewhere else and provide a link. You could also submit it to the Lexicon and provide a direct link to your fic there. Another advantage of submitting it to the Lexicon is that your fanfic would be accessible by the wider TF fanfic community, not just OzFormer members - and Lexicon users can also rate your fics too.

Lexicon seems rather defunct now. When last i visited, there wasn't very much new

Lexicon is Australian-made which is why I think Goktimus suggested it. We should be pariotic and support it. I cross posted my (limited) stuff there.
    Last edited by Paulbot; 22nd March 2008 at 12:41 AM.

I can change the setting to unlimited, but would still recomend breaking up a fanfic over several posts if it is long (like, one chapter per posting), otherwise it can look a bit too intimidating as one endless page of words, putting people off from read it.