• Yes, I will continue with all TT MPs

4 7.41%
  • Yes, I will continue collecting most/many TT MPs

17 31.48%
  • I might still get the occasional release

20 37.04%
  • I'm seriously having second thoughts about continuing,

7 12.96%
  • I'm out, my wallet can't take anymore.

6 11.11%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you still collect MP Transformers with the higher prices?

I've had a think about this, and realised that of the 8 MP figures I've owned only two were purchases on a whim and the rest were things that I'd long anticipated and decided I would get with a reasonable disregard of price.

So I suppose it probably won't change my pattern because I don't really buy that many MP figures, and when I do I'm usually happy to not overly concern myself with price. My impulse buy threshold is somewhere below $100AUD so this higher pricing doesn't really change things for me.

For example, I'd pay ~$300 USD for a fully fleshed out MP Movie Starscream, because it's a design I enjoy. Whether MP BW Megatron is $300, $150, $210, $294.84 or whatever, it's above my impulse buy level so it doesn't change things.

The eight figures are
    Hasbro: 2007 Starscream, Skywarp, Rodimus Prime, MPM-3 Bumblebee
    Takara: MP-11 Starscream, MP-12 Sideswipe, MPM-2 Starscream, MP-28 Hot Rod

The two impulse buys were Hasbro Skywarp and MP-28 Hot Rod, and mainly because I came across them in stores for about $75 AUD.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    The two impulse buys were Hasbro Skywarp and MP-28 Hot Rod, and mainly because I came across them in stores for about $75 AUD.
    This is where I think a large part of the shift will happen. Where in cases like yours, this situation of impulse buys by casual fans of the line when things have been on sale has been the sole domain of impulse buyers, I think that many like myself who have preordered at standard prices in the past, will shift our buying habits to waiting until figures go on sale after shelf-warming.

bowspearer Guest

As an aside, can we edit the poll to include an "I'll wait until figures go on sale" option?

I was a bit shocked at MP BW Megatron's price but I think this will be the last one I'll definitely get so I can pair him with Optimus Primal. After this, unless it looks amazing I'll be a lot more selective and skip.
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    As an aside, can we edit the poll to include an "I'll wait until figures go on sale" option?
    Or get reissue with cheaper price (as the rich kids have paid the mould already)

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    2-minute noodles with frozen peas & corn put in

Whoa slow down there Mr Fancy, plain pasta with a dab of tomato sauce will do.

My MP collecting has become pretty sparse in the last three-ish years and I might grab one these days on a whim when the price is right, gone are the days of gotta catch 'em all or getting them the day they come out.
    I've been surprised how well the waiting game works, it might be a year or more after release but eventually the secondary market happens and the prices are a bit more sane.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I think it was Gok who told me once (it'd be over 15 years ago at this point) that where Hasbro's primary demographic for Transformers was overwhelmingly kids, Takara's was adults with a primarily G1 focus. It's pretty reasonable to say that the vast majority of the market for Masterpiece figures are adults.
    I forget where I saw it but recently someone mentioned that apparently the whole thing of Takara selling 90% of its toys to adult collectors is not accurate. Apparently they sell more like 30% of their toys to collectors as opposed to Hasbro's number which last time Hasbro announced collector vs kids numbers it was something like 20% to collectors (and that number from Hasbro is incredibly high by Hasbro's standards).

That said I don't expect any kids to buy MP Megatron at these prices.

It really depends on whats coming out; lucky my focus on MP collecting is confined to G1 cartoon and movie bots only.

The slowdown in G1 cartoon announcements pretty much means I can buy whenever any is announced.

Honestly I don't collect much Masterpiece toys anyway. I'd get the 3rd version of Optimus and some of the movie masterpiece toys, but that'll be it.
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    I forget where I saw it but recently someone mentioned that apparently the whole thing of Takara selling 90% of its toys to adult collectors is not accurate. Apparently they sell more like 30% of their toys to collectors as opposed to Hasbro's number which last time Hasbro announced collector vs kids numbers it was something like 20% to collectors (and that number from Hasbro is incredibly high by Hasbro's standards).

That said I don't expect any kids to buy MP Megatron at these prices.
    I would be wondering there whether that's the whole of Takara or just Transformers. I'd also be questioning whether that still applies for the more collector centred lines like Alternity, Binartech and Masterpiece.