Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lego Questions by newbies and Not-So newbies

Default Lego Questions by newbies and Not-So newbies

Hey guys, I've just looked through 5 pages of this sub-forum and couldn't find anything with a heading akin to this but if one already exists, please feel free to merge this with it.

I've had lego as a kid and loved the creative building aspect of it, though I favoured action figures and hence my interest waned.
    I was recently going through Big W's 2011 Mid-Year Toy Sale catalogue however and came across these:

As a noted Ancient Egypt fan, I squealed with delight at the sight of these sets but then I also shrieked with horror at their prices!

So I have a couple of questions:

1. Why was I not informed of this? , kidding - Are these sets indeed exclusive to Big W and are they available at any online retailers?
    2. Are these prices what one would consider acceptable to a Lego Collector?
    3. Is this the only Egyptian themed set Lego has produced? - If not, what other sets have been released?

Any info would be greatly appreciated as would pics and links.

I have the Flying Mummy Attack and Scorpion Pyramid. I paid $119.70 shipped for the Pyramid off eBay about six months ago, so you might be better off online or waiting for a retail sale. With Lego, it can be random - for the cheaper items (i.e. up to $50) you're sometimes better off buying locally, but then as the items get bigger I find I can usually get better deals online.

But then again: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LEGO-PHAR...item35b2f3015b

Ooh... Some intriguing info there dude, thanks for your input.
    I'm considering whacking the lot on a huge Layby, but I've got to get a NAS up and running soon otherwise it's going to be pointless having a download quota.
    (Stupid priorities and lack of finances )

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    As a noted Ancient Egypt fan, I squealed with delight at the sight of these sets but then I also shrieked with horror at their prices!

So I have a couple of questions:

1. Why was I not informed of this? , kidding - Are these sets indeed exclusive to Big W and are they available at any online retailers?
    2. Are these prices what one would consider acceptable to a Lego Collector?
    3. Is this the only Egyptian themed set Lego has produced? - If not, what other sets have been released?

Any info would be greatly appreciated as would pics and links.

1. Should be available online, but once you factor in shipping it may turn out roughly the same.

2. Well I've been disappointed with lego pricing for about the last 2 years. But there are plenty of others who are quite happy to pay. Since you're such an Ancient Egypt nut I think the premium would be acceptable? If these stay a Big W exclusive (i.e Kmart doesn't get them) my advice would be to just buy them. Big W's toy sales/discounts are few and far between and a lot of stuff just disappears off the shelves once the season is over instead of making it to sales time. If you really want them, the risk in waiting may not be worth it.

3. If I recall correctly Lego Adventurers about a decade back started with Egyptian themed sets. Nothing as awesome/extravagant as what we're seeing now though

http://www.brickset.com/browse/theme...ubtheme=Desert

Yeah as the guys said, the Big W prices a tad cheaper than prices on the LEGO shop and if you factor in the shipping then it's definitely cheaper at Big W.

I was rather disappointed that Big W didn't have any sales on these new Pharoah's Quest sets as well. I'm totally into ancient Egyptian stuff as well and these 6 sets are also on my WANTS list.

I'm planning to just put the whole lot on lay-by on a separate receipt and then if there are any sales further on on these sets and they are available, then I'll just cancel the lay-by. It's sort of a safeguard that you have them rather than risk not being able to find them in future or at inflated prices.
    ~ JuzMel ~
    My son is taking over all my TFs!

If you want them, buy them now.

The Space Police sets from last years toy sales flew off the shelves, and I cant speak for all areas, but Western Sydney (from Liverpool to Penrith, to the Hills, Parramatta and Hornsby) did not restock after the sale, and all tha5t remained were the few unsold items (often in damaged boxes).
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    If you want them, buy them now.

The Space Police sets from last years toy sales flew off the shelves, and I cant speak for all areas, but Western Sydney (from Liverpool to Penrith, to the Hills, Parramatta and Hornsby) did not restock after the sale, and all tha5t remained were the few unsold items (often in damaged boxes).
    fairly valid point from Trunksy. Other places like Target tend to have stock but always higher prices.

That said, Target has more 20% off sales which means its quite cheaper than both K-Mart and Big W during sales as well as LegoShop.

I'd recommend you get on board. I saw them and was kinda keen but decided against it. Given the current Lego track record, I expect a Pyramid at some point as one of their mega sets. Got Tower bridge and spewing I lost my Taj Mahal and Eiffel Tower. Loved those.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    Got Tower bridge and spewing I lost my Taj Mahal and Eiffel Tower. Loved those.
    You lost them??
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    You lost them??
    Yeah how did you lose them?

My holy grail for LEGO is the Carousel.
    ~ JuzMel ~
    My son is taking over all my TFs!

Quote Originally Posted by JuzMel View Post
    My holy grail for LEGO is the Carousel.
    It is an awesome set, but by god there are so many stickers!
    The build is also a bit repetative but you can alternated between steps pretty easily.

Well worth it at the end.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|