Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819

Thread: Uncle Iceburns Tech Help Desk

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    So I'm looking at buying a budget 3D printer. Specifically, this one:

http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-...pp_641324.html

I'm somewhat concerned about the power supply though. Would I just be able to use a standard PC power cable with that 220V power supply, or would I need to use either the USA or EU cable with a step-down-converter or similar?

I tried asking GearBest, they were no real help.
    TLDR: It will work here, you will just need a travel adapter, not a transformer or other converter, unless it uses a figure 8 cable in which case just grab a local one from Jaycar instead of a travel adapter.

Long answer: I see they list the power requirements as 110/220. That will mean it has a switching PSU. The US and Canada uses 110v, Japan uses 100v which is really bad for electronics but close enough to the US spec that US devices work in Japan. The vast majority of the developed world uses 220 to 240v including us. Most electronics made these days are made to work everywhere so they auto switch between 110v and 220v. Have a look at the fine print on your electronics and you will see most of them made recently list on their power brick a range between 100 to 240v. PC PSUs have had the ability to switch since at least the early 90s, but back then you had to flip a switch on the back of the PSU, now it's all just automatic. So yeah, you can use any electronics in Australia that have a switching PSU, you just will need a travel adaptor or a AU figure 8 cable if your devices uses that.

http://www.powercablewarehouse.com.a...figure_8_1.jpg

Thanks DELTAprime! I think I have it sorted out now. Just doing further research into making sure I get a decent printer.h
    Which brings us to where we are today...