Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Govt will block overseas site not collecting gst

There is this stunning red ribbon-thin banner on twitch tv at the moment.

https://i.gyazo.com/bdf7d34f1bed4e4c...c0a72acb20.png

Funny story, the last time I saw this type of "Flashing Headline" was way back when tfw2005 got the very first pictures of Voyager Animated Blitzwing. I don't think it's been repeated since over there.

Every standard emote replaced by a classic loading circle (hover over it and it says "Save the internet!"

https://i.gyazo.com/a2af59e6143c6c88...f89056f921.png

This is getting pretty close to being a thing we have to deal with. Is there any updates on how the GST is supposed to be collected? Will the retailer have to collect the GST or am I going to get a bill from the government like it works now for purchases over $1000?

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    This is getting pretty close to being a thing we have to deal with. Is there any updates on how the GST is supposed to be collected? Will the retailer have to collect the GST or am I going to get a bill from the government like it works now for purchases over $1000?
    You will not have to worry about it. The implemented model targets only vendors, to be as hassle-free for Australian customers as much as possible. It will be the vendor's job to determine whether it will need to charge you GST, and just like with local sellers, if it makes the wrong determination, any GST liability will be its liability, not yours.

Purchases from overseas over $1,000 will still be subject to customs importation rules as before.

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Someone needs to make a list of all the retailers who are in support of it, if there isn't one already. Will make it easier to know who not to shop with
    Better yet - people need to boycott Harvey Norman and Domayne (owned by Harvey's wife) en masse.

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    Better yet - people need to boycott Harvey Norman and Domayne (owned by Harvey's wife) en masse.
    Who actually does shop at these stores besides middle aged/ elderly people who have money (or credit) to burn or are uneducated shoppers?

A government backed by big business that forces people to pay GST on items that aren't severely marked down won't force people back to Australian brick and mortar, it will just make people more frugal with their spending causing these stores to go the way of the Dodo at a faster rate.

Ironic that actually taxing the big stores like Harvey Norman, Myer and the likes in the first place would have the same net effect.

Hard not to see another recession on the horizon.

If I need to buy a whitegood or browngood I have little choice other than Harvey Norman. JB Hifi doesn't have a store here and the only competition HN has here is Betta Electrical which have worse prices.

At least when I needed a DP cable recently they had a Belkin in stock that wasn't overly expensive ($30 for 3 meters). Given how many extremely shoddy DP cables are on the market I'd rather get a name brand from a retailer with a physical location I can goto if it's shoddy.

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    I refuse to purchase anything from either. I use their stores as opportunities to inspect items in person then I use the good ol internet to find it cheaper elsewhere. I have spent a lot of money in both stores over the years but they well and truly lost my business forever.

haha, shop at Harvey Norman, you're funny. I totally get people not having a choice depending on location, I'm fortunate enough that I have a whole lot of options. I actually thought Harvey Norman and Domain were the same company, I guess I've learned my thing for today.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

this extra 10% on imports will make me consider more purchases from local eretailers for my transformers. The little toy company and Toybot importz come to mind. both have been reliable for me and both have great prices on various things, definitely competitive when compared to importing a lot of Asian product.

I will be pretty dirty if I can't keep shopping at Anime-export or HLJ or robot kingdom or robotoybase because they don't want to deal with Australian tax, which is rubbish, I don't get how our government can expect/force an external entity to pay tax locally.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

^ Yeah I'm considering getting MP Dinobot and MPM Ironhide from TLTC if HLJ starts collecting GST. Still wouldn't buy from a brick and mortar retailer.